HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 29, 2013, 07:43 AM
United States, UT, Sandy
Joined May 2013
1,660 Posts
Alert
Futaba T8FG power reset issue is real!

Last week I crashed my concept and two days later my stobel went down. Short version is Futaba T8FG is in for service. I think I have the dreaded "death power reset" issue. An esd problem that seems to be rare but fricking real and deadly. Do a google Utube search for power reset. And yes after a crash at BSOUT I went to dual antenas in all my DLG's and started not only checking for control movement but proper direction of all surfaces!. But last week I had just flown a task in a small Colorado contest in group C and set both plane and tx down on the sod. A minute later I picked them up and did a full power practice launch but dead stick. Looking at TX it was in select model mode. Two days later tx went to the same mode. This time the TX did the same thing but while "flying" my stobel without setting anything down. Both times tx battery was above 7.4 V with 6.8 V being low warning. In all fairness while this tx was purchased in June it had heavy use. I knocked it off the table and caught it with my foot breaking a switch. I was inside moving the momentary switch to the left side, it did get a light rain on it at BSOUT. All of these things are going to happen to a tx over its life.
Just be careful and maybe don't force it to do a model select at power up. The good news is both ships are fixed but at least 20 hours work and they are heavier.
elkski is offline Find More Posts by elkski
Last edited by elkski; Oct 29, 2013 at 07:53 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 29, 2013, 02:56 PM
sticks2sticks
United States, CA, Yreka
Joined Oct 2011
226 Posts
And I thought it was just me. I have had servos reversed twice now, one resulted in a crash, the other I caught before launch. It happens after turning the transmitter on and then selecting another model. The preset throws were unaffected. Only channel 2 or 4.
mgallian is offline Find More Posts by mgallian
Old Oct 29, 2013, 03:25 PM
United States, UT, Sandy
Joined May 2013
1,660 Posts
I read somewhere that a power reset doesn't save the current model and goes to last modelflown and saved. Saved is only done when shutting off using the switch. Futaba service has my tx. Promp email notification Mon that they got it. Estimate for the switch and that it transmits fine. I called and told them to go the switch and no rush keep it till you find a problem. I Said call Japan.
Old Oct 29, 2013, 06:26 PM
usaf3kteam
Joined Sep 2005
5,533 Posts
Bummer hope they take care of you. I fly Fasst but not with that TX
rcgeorge is offline Find More Posts by rcgeorge
Old Oct 30, 2013, 07:47 AM
London
Joined Apr 2004
676 Posts
Happened to me too. I had just flown, so 'knew' my TX was on. Launched and had no control. Looked at my TX and it was in model select mode, so not transmitting. I just figured I had done something stupid, but a couple of rounds later, as i was walking on to the field I heard the TX beep. I looked at it and the screen was blank for a sec, then sitting on the model select screen. I have now set it up so that if it does reboot, it goes back in to transmitting. I will have to investigate this issue of it going back to 'last saved model' which I guess makes sense and could be real problem if it does it again. As far as I know, it has not done it again since that day.

My crash just happen to be caught on video too. Watch the first 30secs of this:

AULD_Chris_RadioGlide2013 (2 min 45 sec)

And then in Slo-mo:
RG13_Mike_Crash (0 min 35 sec)
MikeHLG is online now Find More Posts by MikeHLG
Old Oct 30, 2013, 08:53 AM
hot air rises...
Pleasant Grove, UT
Joined Jul 2005
7,309 Posts
So Mike, do you think it's a bad on-off switch or a loose power wire somewhere? Or something more complicated? The video elkski showed in a different thread where the guy is pushing on the TX case to make it reboot looks like a loose power connection to me. Can you wiggle the on-off switch or squeeze the case and make it reboot?

I have often heard my TX beep while I'm flying and looking down I see that the menu has switched over to either the Linkage or Model menus (which do not affect transmission). I just figured that my palm inadvertently pushed the pad. My radio is set up to start transmitting on start-up (last model selected before turning off). At last weekend's contest I had a short loss of comm with the model which I assumed was due to my RX antenna placement. I've never, in the last couple years of heavy DLG use, had a loss of signal with that radio system before this event. I don't remember hearing the TX beep during this event either and I'm still chalking it up to bad antenna placement, but now I've got this voice in the back of my head whispering to me...
jfinch is offline Find More Posts by jfinch
Old Oct 30, 2013, 09:11 AM
United States, UT, Sandy
Joined May 2013
1,660 Posts
I have heard beeps also that didn't correlate to the 1 min timer and I know How easy it is to touch the dial with your palm with some holds. But only the 9 clock position. And other grips you can't touch the wheel?
I just started using the model select on power up feature before bsout as I got serious about a preflight routine and thought this was a good idea. Since then I have crashed 4 times with loss of control. Taboo is dead or in a very deep coma. Both stobel and concept have taken much time to repair. Weight gain too. I have received a pm reply from the Utube guy he received a new 14 and was told they were sending his 8 to Japan for study. He hasn't had or sought further info. One thing I remember are my four crashes were on windy days. Bsout was windy, Co monthly real windy ( only circled 8 times in 6 tasks!), it was very windy at Johns dlg ranch when the stobel lost it. Windy+dry air+ dry grass= ESD?
Last edited by elkski; Oct 30, 2013 at 09:18 AM.
Old Oct 30, 2013, 09:39 AM
United States, UT, Sandy
Joined May 2013
1,660 Posts
Service center is in Illinois so I bet not a dry climate like Utah or Colorado. Japan is no way ever under 50% but I'm sure they have an environmental chamber.
Old Oct 30, 2013, 10:00 AM
a.k.a Frank Campbell
Long Beach, CA, USA
Joined Jan 2007
666 Posts
I have a T8FG Super that I bought about 6 months ago so naturally this problem is a concern for me. Are there other threads about this or is there a definitive description of the problem anywhere.

Reading the original post it says that the TX reverts to the last "saved' model and that a model is saved when you turn off the power switch. Is that correct? If so then until a fix is found then it would seem wise to adopt the procedure of powering down the TX immediately after selecting a new model and disabling all power up warnings so that if it does reset it immediately starts transmitting.

You can't win. I have moved from Spektrum to Airtronics to Hitec to Futaba because of issues with the first three under the assumption that Futaba (after they fixed their ID problem) would be bulletproof. I also bought some FrSky receivers (TFR6-A) only to find there is an issue with them.

Frank C
VintageFan is offline Find More Posts by VintageFan
Old Oct 30, 2013, 10:01 AM
hot air rises...
Pleasant Grove, UT
Joined Jul 2005
7,309 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by VintageFan View Post
I also bought some FrSky receivers (TFR6-A) only to find there is an issue with them.

Frank C
Do tell. I just bought one to try out.
jfinch is offline Find More Posts by jfinch
Old Oct 30, 2013, 10:17 AM
a.k.a Frank Campbell
Long Beach, CA, USA
Joined Jan 2007
666 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jfinch View Post
Do tell. I just bought one to try out.
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1812481
VintageFan is offline Find More Posts by VintageFan
Old Oct 30, 2013, 10:29 AM
United States, UT, Sandy
Joined May 2013
1,660 Posts
That's keep this thread about the 8 FG tx.
Please post if you have had some unexplained issue.
I sent a letter to Futaba USA.
Old Oct 30, 2013, 03:47 PM
Hugh Blackburn
Melbourne, Australia
Joined Jun 2005
438 Posts
I have never had any issue with 2x TFG8s over a period of 2+ years, so I have to say I'm very surprised to hear all this. I have mine set for model select on power-up, also.

(a) I couldn't find the problem on youtube. Can we have the exact search string please?

(b) Any info on supply date of the TFG8s involved, or can we establish any pattern?

(c) Any record of this happening with a TFG14?

thanks
Hugh
floquet is online now Find More Posts by floquet
Old Oct 30, 2013, 04:53 PM
United States, UT, Sandy
Joined May 2013
1,660 Posts
ESD occurs much more in dry climates. Here is a thread where I found the Utube link. This guy is also on RCgroups.
http://www.helifreak.com/showthread.php?t=424525&page=2
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1855097
I am sure this occurs rarely.. And anyone who repair electronic stuff knows how hard intermittent problems are to find. My three known (I found 8FG in select model mode right after the crash )times that I crashed and checked for voltage (all over 7.4 v) happened
on windy days in dry climates of Utah or Colorado,,
Humidity has a big effect on static..
http://esdsystems.descoindustries.co..._humidity.html
http://electrostaticsolutions.blogsp...-increase.html
Old Oct 30, 2013, 05:15 PM
Hugh Blackburn
Melbourne, Australia
Joined Jun 2005
438 Posts
Doubt it was too dry where Mike was flying! Just 'normal' English weather. Right, Mike?

But yeah, I checked the video. Sure is weird.

Hugh
floquet is online now Find More Posts by floquet
Last edited by floquet; Oct 30, 2013 at 05:21 PM.