HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jul 11, 2013, 11:48 AM
United States, CA, Granite Bay
Joined Mar 2004
517 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Murocflyer View Post
Thanks for the info Tom. Sounds like a convertible would be best since CA does not allow anyone riding in the back of trucks anymore. Least I don't think they do anyway. Plus some A/C and or heat would make things a little nicer even though the top would be down.

Thanks again for the info.

Frank
Several teams are still using trucks. I think we've had only one or two run-ins with the law in the last 16 years. I dont think anyone has ever been ticketed, just forced down.

The best setup I've used is the white Tundra you can see in the video. The seats I installed had headrests, 360 degree swivel and were able to fully recline as well as lock in the upright position which was really nice, very comfortable and we could easily fly in front or behind the vehicle which can be a real advantage in terms of positioning with the sun. Its the only setup I've flown from where I had zero neck problems. Next best setup i think would be the 4 door Jeep Wrangler which is what I will probably end up with in a couple years just to give my team some peace of mind concerning law enforcement.

Steve
TrekBiker is offline Find More Posts by TrekBiker
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 11, 2013, 12:32 PM
Promoting Model Aviation...
United States, CA, Tehachapi
Joined Nov 2005
24,650 Posts
Thanks Mike. I think we can get away with 3 people in the car. And we'll be going for no more than about 90 miles or so at each leg so we'll have the opportunity to stretch our legs.

Frank
Murocflyer is offline Find More Posts by Murocflyer
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 12, 2013, 11:31 AM
Joined Nov 2005
24,650 Posts
Another question. This was asked to me and I did not know the answer to it. Can anyone help with this please?

Quote:
Will AMA cover the liability of the project and its members involved in it?
How do you understand the insurance aspect of cross country flying relative to insurance concerns and the AMA?

Thanks,

Frank
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 12, 2013, 05:33 PM
LSF303 / AMA Life Member
USA, IL, Wheeling
Joined Jan 2003
3,018 Posts
We don't talk about that ...

I'm guessing, but I would think homeowners would still be primary, AMA secondary, and possibly you might roll in the vehicle owner's auto insurance if there were a claim for auto damage or if the auto caused damage to property or persons.

I think you should talk to AMA Insurance folks to be sure; knock wood I'm not aware of any insurance claim EVER rooted in an XC soaring venue.
tkallev is offline Find More Posts by tkallev
Old Jul 13, 2013, 03:10 AM
Joined Nov 2005
24,650 Posts
I thought so as much, but I just wanted to make sure. You guys have been doing this for a long time so I appreciate the insight.

Thanks,

Frank
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 28, 2013, 05:34 PM View Post
notforsale2 - KEWhite
A moderator felt this post violated the following rule: Trolling (Widespread). Show it to me anyway.
Old Jul 28, 2013, 05:36 PM View Post
notforsale2 - KEWhite
A moderator felt this post violated the following rule: Trolling (Widespread). Show it to me anyway.
Old Jul 28, 2013, 06:16 PM
Dean
USA, CO, Littleton
Joined Apr 2005
3,654 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by notforsale2 View Post
So you attacked me for what reason? Hurting people hurt others.
Am I missing something here?
A10FLYR is offline Find More Posts by A10FLYR
Old Jul 29, 2013, 07:00 AM
LSF303 / AMA Life Member
USA, IL, Wheeling
Joined Jan 2003
3,018 Posts
Trolling ... he got banned before, working hard at it again ...
Old Jul 29, 2013, 07:11 AM
Don't ask me anything...
Ireland, County Kerry, Kerry
Joined Dec 2005
6,839 Posts
Where on earth did that come from ?

Chris
Woodstock 1 is offline Find More Posts by Woodstock 1
Old Aug 05, 2013, 06:21 PM
Sherpa
La Quinta, Ca.
Joined Sep 2003
1,596 Posts
Hello to all.
I just found this thread and have read it with much anticipation and appreciation to those who are serious in this attempt. Just a few notes of flying in California. If you are in the back of a pick up truck you must have a seat belt. If you are on a major freeway such as an interstate (I-5) or major state highway such as (hwy 99) you can not stop for any reason other than a vehicle emergency. You can however obtain a permit that would allow you to stop for reasons other than an emergency. This would allow a team to use I-5 from Tracy to Bakersfield.

Sherpa
Schwemmer is offline Find More Posts by Schwemmer
Old Sep 15, 2013, 10:49 AM
Joined Nov 2005
24,650 Posts
I have another question for those folks flying with Airtronics. Do you ever have issues like loss of bind when going under a highway overpass? Has that ever been a problem?

Thanks,

Frank
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 16, 2013, 06:47 PM
District X Norcal AVP
United States, CA, Woodland
Joined Jan 2012
60 Posts
Airtronics and Overpasses

Frank I have lost line of site with my Airtronics SD-10G with other things and not had a problem. But I will qualify that by saying it was never anything as substantial as an overpass.

Give it a shot on something you can trim to fly strait. If you loose bind turn off and right back on. We have gone threw that drill on the slope hill and at least the SD-10G is very quick to re-aquire the aircraft after going off and then back on.

Hope that helps, Forrest
LaunchPadMcQuack is offline Find More Posts by LaunchPadMcQuack
Old Sep 16, 2013, 06:51 PM
LSF303 / AMA Life Member
USA, IL, Wheeling
Joined Jan 2003
3,018 Posts
You really won't be under the underpass for long enough to lose the signal, hopefully ... you aren't going to park under there, are you?

2.4 GHz can be effected by shadowing ... and large, dense matter between the transmitter and receiver might be an issue ... I have heard reports that people have lost their models because they were flown behind a (dense) tree line ... I cannot say from personal experience as it has never happened to me.

Might be worth a test or two with a Radian and a convertible ... at least it would be fun and a loss wouldn't be catastrophic.
Old Sep 17, 2013, 10:54 PM
Joined Nov 2005
24,650 Posts
Thanks for the feedback gentlemen. I'm going to be testing my Sig T-Clips for flight duration in a convertible but I don't have any Airtronics radios anymore.

I'll check in the SD-10G thread and see if anyone wants to try an experiment for me.

Frank
RCG Plus Member