SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Nov 16, 2004, 10:18 PM
Joined Nov 2004
2 Posts
Wireless Video Camera or Digital Camera

I'm would like to get going with AP, but I do not know if I should go with a Micro Video Camera Downlink system or go with a Digital Camera.

I would like to mount it on either my SS or Sky Surfer Paraplane.

Can you please give me some information on what you know about both.

Thanks,
Netman is offline Find More Posts by Netman
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 16, 2004, 11:13 PM
Quite a few, actually!
Tulsa, OK
Joined May 2004
108 Posts
I have both and it's really a matter of preference. My EyeCAM wireless camera does a pretty good job but the video can cut out briefly on loops or when you're not pointing the ground-based patch antenna at the plane, but it's light and pretty tough. I had a wing fold once when I had it mounted on my aerobird and it made a pretty neat video spiraling in from about 200 feet. The camera was just fine. On the other hand, my 7 oz Sony DSC-P100 5.1MP digital takes great videos and incredible stills but it flys with a pretty high price tag, both financial and in terms of weight. Not to mention the stress if I ever deadstick or have it drop from the sky. I have used the EyeCAM on my Aerobird, SlowStick, and my 48" Combatwings XE-2 with excellent results. I started with an AipTek 1.3MP and would "tape it" to the nose of my XE-2 for stills but never had the Kahunas to try the Sony. It's been relegated to the SlowStick for Video and Stills. Pictures and Videos can be seen at my website.

YMMV

Just Do It! Welcome to the addiction!
Brian
rektafew is offline Find More Posts by rektafew
Old Nov 17, 2004, 08:38 AM
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Joined Jan 2004
588 Posts
My take on things.... if you want video and a light package, get a Blackwidowav.com product. They have both a video cam onboard solution such as the Urban Flight Pack, as well as a downlink type rig that allows you to see what the digital camera is seeing before you take a shot.

If you want quality, such that you will be able to print it out on an 8x10, then digital camera is the way to go. If you want to see cool looking quality video, make sure you get a digital camera that is capable of taking 30 frames a second at 640x480 minimum quality. Or, just get the downlink or onboard video solution to video tape your flights for fun.

I have a video for you to check out the quality of the Urban Flight Pack. Just go to my site and click on the top video from the Urban Flight Pack.

Some of the pictures on that site are from the video, so you can see that at 320x240, they don't look that bad, but if you want a picture from the video frame any larger than 320x240, the quality is not as good as compared to a digital camera.. which can take pics as large as 2000+ x 2000+ or better (WOW).
pkrska is offline Find More Posts by pkrska
Old Nov 17, 2004, 12:10 PM
SS AP'er!!
Stratford-upon-Avon, UK
Joined Oct 2003
682 Posts
Go WiFly! I think this is the most exciting form of AP, flying from the cockpit. Clearly you won't have anything to look at afterwards (unless you record your flight) but i believe the buzz of actually flying the plane beats hands down anything else. I love it, its a unique experience. Then again, looking through my small amount of AP photo's and videos, i wouldnt have missed them for the world!

Patrick
pjblink is offline Find More Posts by pjblink