HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Aug 24, 2014, 06:36 PM
United States, SC, Liberty
Joined Dec 2013
373 Posts
Discussion
Solartex over Ultracote?

I never covered a plane before so I have no idea if this will work. What I want to do is apply dark blue opaque stripes of Ultracote (or any such covering) onto my BOT then cover the entire wing, including the Ultracote with Antique Solartex. It will look something like this photoshopped image, though the color may be a little different. My concern is whether or not the Solartex will stick to the opaque Ultracote. Thanks!
Brynmr is offline Find More Posts by Brynmr
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 25, 2014, 07:20 AM
ARFs Are Me
Traverse City, Michigan
Joined Dec 2005
11,380 Posts
I would suggest covering your model in the Antique Solartex first, and the painting the trim color.

If you want to use Ultracote, apply the trim over the Solartex.
TomCrump is online now Find More Posts by TomCrump
Old Aug 25, 2014, 07:34 AM
Joined Dec 2013
373 Posts
Thanks Tom. So you're saying it won't work? Also, can you get sharp painted lines by using tape over Solartex?

Hey just thought - will Solartex bond to a painted surface? I could paint the stripes then apply the Solartex. I really don't want painted Solartex. Probably couldn't get the right color anyway.
Last edited by Brynmr; Aug 25, 2014 at 07:44 AM.
Old Aug 25, 2014, 10:42 AM
ARFs Are Me
Traverse City, Michigan
Joined Dec 2005
11,380 Posts
It'd work, but it's backwards.

The Antique Solartex will obscure your ultra.

Solartex gets dirty if it isn't sealed or painted, so you may be disappointed in the outcome.

Painting first, and then covering, will not work well.
TomCrump is online now Find More Posts by TomCrump
Old Aug 25, 2014, 01:58 PM
Joined Dec 2013
373 Posts
Obscuring the under-color was what I wanted but Solartex is heavier by 2 oz over Ultracote to begin with and sealing it would add more weight. By how much I don't know. That might be too much on an already heavy Bird of Time. I may have to rethink this.
Old Aug 25, 2014, 02:00 PM
Joined Dec 2013
373 Posts
Are there any other semi transparent coverings other than Solartex that don't need to be coated?
Old Sep 02, 2014, 02:35 AM
UK, Coventry
Joined Aug 2005
533 Posts
It will stick.
However you would be better to use a creamish coloured ultracote or other film. It will be lighter and stay clean without needing sealing.
The best way to see if your scheme will work is simply to try it on a small frame or mock up of the wing. If it works on that it will work on the real one.
mhodgson is offline Find More Posts by mhodgson
Old Sep 02, 2014, 04:24 PM
Joined Dec 2013
373 Posts
Yeah, I decided on Ultracote. Less expensive too.