SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Feb 22, 2014, 03:31 PM
dbc
United States, FL, Brooksville
Joined Apr 2008
1,725 Posts
Discussion
Sonic by Phoenix Models

I bought this plane just to keep me occupied while recently home bound. Here's a link:

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...&I=LXBGZK&P=ML

It's plenty inexpensive for a nice sized balsa plane. And I really had no great expectations from it. But I've been pleasantly surprised. It turned out to be a nicely built model and it flys much better than some others that cost lots more. Maybe not the best looker....but that's easy to forgive when you consider it's price and performance.

Power is stated as 25-32, glow or electric. Tower is recommending the 32 Rimfire for electric. The plane would not balance with that sized electric motor. It needed another 3 oz of nose weight. I had on hand a 46 size Emax motor that balances perfectly and gives way more power than is necessary or prudent. But it sure is fun!

Anyone else have one of these? Or any experience with one?
dbc is offline Find More Posts by dbc
Last edited by dbc; Feb 22, 2014 at 03:42 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 22, 2014, 06:47 PM
20+ years of RC flying
United States, FL
Joined Aug 2012
1,352 Posts
Man, there sure is a lot of room in that plane!

I was telling my flying buddy about this model today while he was out flying his Stryker. Had a good time even though I currently don't have anything flight ready myself.

Do you have any video of the Sonic in flight?
BigIron357 is online now Find More Posts by BigIron357
Old Feb 22, 2014, 07:25 PM
dbc
Joined Apr 2008
1,725 Posts
Video is hard for me. I fly mostly alone. A neighbor has tried to shoot some of my other planes but the results are always pretty bad.

Yep, plenty of accessible space under the large canopy. Nice design.
Old Feb 22, 2014, 10:08 PM
Hemet, California, United States
Joined Aug 2001
2,607 Posts
Hi,

What batteries, prop, and speed controller are you using? A guy in my club had a glow powered version of this and it was a good flyer.

Mickydee
mickydee is offline Find More Posts by mickydee
Last edited by mickydee; Feb 23, 2014 at 09:40 AM.
Old Feb 22, 2014, 11:59 PM
Will work for JR/Spektrum
Canada, BC, Sechelt
Joined May 2008
1,494 Posts
70 bucks?

well, that gets an autobuy from me. I don't care how ugly it is, it's going into the collection.
Sabin is offline Find More Posts by Sabin
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 23, 2014, 07:34 AM
dbc
Joined Apr 2008
1,725 Posts
At that bargain price, it actually starts to look pretty good!

The assembly quality is quite good, too. The covering is some unknown material but I had no problem getting rid of a couple of very minor wrinkles with a heat gun. Overall it looked great as it came out of the box.

All the control surfaces were pre-hinged, too - a real time saver. Unusual pin type hinges are used but they work fine with no binding. An electric conversion package is included with nice aluminum standoffs and long hex head machine bolts. The hardware is all decent quality, wheels and wheel collars are fine, and assembly was straightforward with no glitches.

The only potential issue is achieving correct CG with electric power. It requires about a 9 oz motor to balance without added nose weight. This is heavier than most 25-32 sized motors that are the recommended size. I initially installed a 46 electric and it balanced perfectly.

But that (well used) motor is now going bad and I'm replacing it with the new 32 size I originally bought for the plane. A decent 2" spinner is included that I didn't mount with the 46. I'm thinking the 7 oz 32 motor and the 1 oz spinner will put me close to balance. I'll try to get it mounted and check the balance today.

I'm not too crazy about the check board covering used under the wings and tail. But you must admit it makes orientation easy.

Most importantly: this is a darned good flyer! I got 10 flights on it before the used motor went wonky - and really enjoyed how it flys. Just smooth and predictable flying with no nasty surprises. It looks good doing all the basic aerobatics and is super easy to land with nice ground handling. It seems to look better to me each time I fly it!
Last edited by dbc; Feb 23, 2014 at 07:54 AM.
Old Feb 23, 2014, 06:42 PM
dbc
Joined Apr 2008
1,725 Posts
I got a new, correct 32 size, motor mounted today. And, as I had suspected, it required some nose weight for balance. I dislike the idea of adding dead weight but sometimes you just have to do it. It required just under 2 oz.

The Emax BL2826/06 motor draws 635 watts at 40 amps on a 4s 3300 mah battery. 12x6 APC prop spinning 10230 rpm delivers 6.7 lb thrust and 58 mph pitch speed. I could probably use a 11x7 for more speed but less thrust.

I got 2 flights in this evening and I couldn't be more pleased with the performance and the flight characteristics. For some reason, it seems to fly even better with this smaller motor. This is just one sweet little plane.
Last edited by dbc; Feb 23, 2014 at 07:40 PM.
Old Feb 25, 2014, 06:59 AM
dbc
Joined Apr 2008
1,725 Posts
Here's the Sonic with my first Phoenix model. The Tucano 40. I just recently completed and flew the Tucano. It's really surprised me with it's beautiful construction and excellent flying.

So I decided to try another, more basic, Phoenix plane. The Sonic actually flys about as nice as the Tucano - but sure doesn't look anywhere near as sleek and sophisticated.
Old Feb 26, 2014, 11:50 AM
Right Rudder
USA, FL, Orlando
Joined Nov 2010
9,249 Posts
That SONIC looks just like my E-Flite Advance 25. However, I am flying mine with the E-Flite 480 (1020Kv) and just 3-cells and swinging the Park Zone 2-Blade 9.5 X 7.5 and does mild acrobatics.

The only thing I dislike on my Advance is the solid tail boom made of Balsa and light plywood and built like a coffin.

I am using the heavier 3-Cell, 3700mAH cells to balance things out.

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/elec...80-1020kv.html

PittSpecial is offline Find More Posts by PittSpecial
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 26, 2014, 11:59 AM
Right Rudder
USA, FL, Orlando
Joined Nov 2010
9,249 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dbc View Post
At that bargain price, it actually starts to look pretty good!

The assembly quality is quite good, too. The covering is some unknown material but I had no problem getting rid of a couple of very minor wrinkles with a heat gun. Overall it looked great as it came out of the box.

All the control surfaces were pre-hinged, too - a real time saver. Unusual pin type hinges are used but they work fine with no binding. An electric conversion package is included with nice aluminum standoffs and long hex head machine bolts. The hardware is all decent quality, wheels and wheel collars are fine, and assembly was straightforward with no glitches.
Now this is an attractive feature "Pre-Hinged" control surfaces as I suffered with my E-Flite Advanced on this account!!
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 26, 2014, 01:36 PM
dbc
Joined Apr 2008
1,725 Posts
There are a lot of similarities between the Sonic and the Advance. They both have a slightly pattern ship look - and you know I favor long tail moments like both these have. That almost always yields smooth and stable pitch and yaw control.

The clear cockpit on the Advance looks a lot nicer but the big removable hatch on the Sonic is more convenient than the small one on the Advance. Sonic has thumbscrew removable individual wings with an aluminum tube spar instead of the epoxied, wood spar, one-piece wing on the Advance.

Sonic's in-fuse servos mount upright under the hatch instead of inverted under the wing. Easier to service and adjust. Sonic has a much wider main gear stance reducing the chance of a wingtip drag. And the in-wing servos are concealed under hatches instead of exposed.

The real big difference: Sonic cost only half as much as the (discontinued) Advance.

E-Flite planes are nearly always way more expensive than the competition. Hard for me to justify.

I had balance issues with the Sonic too, Carlos. I had to use a heavy 32 motor and a large 3300 4s battery AND 2oz of nose weight to achieve CG. At 4lb 2oz it came within spec, and with 6.7 lb thrust
you can point it straight up after a short takeoff run and it will disappear in a couple of seconds.

It's way overpowered but the weight had to be added - might as well do it with the power system. A larger motor's additional cost isn't very much.
Last edited by dbc; Feb 26, 2014 at 02:57 PM.
Old Feb 26, 2014, 07:06 PM
Right Rudder
USA, FL, Orlando
Joined Nov 2010
9,249 Posts
Dave,

You are not kidding about the tiny battery hatch for the E-Flite Advance, placing in the 3-Cell, 5000mAH pack is a chore and a half. SONIC's large and complete Cockpit hatch is a dream come true to access all.

Reason I don't fly the Advance anymore and I really can't sell it because tail feathers are glued and can not ship.

However, the Advance is a very nice flyer.
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 27, 2014, 08:41 AM
dbc
Joined Apr 2008
1,725 Posts
These simple, low wing, tricycle gear planes in the 1300-1500 mm span size really work well for me. They are great flyers and lots of fun off the paved strip I use. Large enough for nice stability and visibility, yet small enough for easy setup and handling.

When I can get one at a low price, then flying them becomes low stress - nice.
Last edited by dbc; Feb 27, 2014 at 10:02 AM.
Old Feb 28, 2014, 04:56 AM
Right Rudder
USA, FL, Orlando
Joined Nov 2010
9,249 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dbc View Post
These simple, low wing, tricycle gear planes in the 1300-1500 mm span size really work well for me. They are great flyers and lots of fun off the paved strip I use. Large enough for nice stability and visibility, yet small enough for easy setup and handling.

When I can get one at a low price, then flying them becomes low stress - nice.
Dave,

I believe that I paid $79 on sale at Hobby-Town USA in Melbourne, Florida so, I can understand the need to get a good deal as the ARF lists for $99.99 retail for the E-Flie Advance.

The maiden was performed more than 2 years ago and it was a delight to see such a large and heavier RC Sport model that is not constructed of Foam fly with the E-Flite 480 (1020Kv) and stock Park Zone 2-Blade 9.5 X 7.5 Propeller using T-28 Trojan Propeller adapter and 3-Cells.

In this Video you can see how nice of a flyer it is and never did it stall on me even though I was DEAD STICK on the landing phase.

E-Flite Advance 25e using E-Flite 480 (1020Kv) 10-22-2011.wmv (3 min 7 sec)

Here is someone with a power32 on his E-Flite Advance! The power is good but, I can pretty much perform the same maneuvers just as easily with my power system setup with the E-Flite 480 (1020Kv)
Onboard camera Advance 25e (13 min 38 sec)
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by PittSpecial; Feb 28, 2014 at 05:11 AM.
Old Feb 28, 2014, 06:22 AM
dbc
Joined Apr 2008
1,725 Posts
Advance 25e
By: E-flite
Item: EFL4225
In Stock Out Of Stock
Avg. Customer Rating: (20)
Qualifies for Free Shipping* (View Details)
Price: Reg. $199.99 $139.99

You got a great deal on the Advance. It originally sold for $139.99. That was pretty steep for such a simple plane. Overpricing probably caused its slow sales and subsequently being discontinued.
Last edited by dbc; Feb 28, 2014 at 06:27 AM.