SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Reply
Thread Tools
Old Aug 19, 2013, 01:43 PM
Registered User
Joined Aug 2013
20 Posts
Question
prop question

Hi, will a 11x8 prop or 11x6 make a plane go faster using the same motor,

Thanks
penguin fish is offline Find More Posts by penguin fish
Reply With Quote
Sign up now
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 19, 2013, 03:08 PM
Watch this!
3DMad5's Avatar
Ireland
Joined Nov 2011
214 Posts
The 11x8 prop will make it go faster, however because the pitch is increased, the amp draw of the motor will also increase so you need to make sure you're not going to burn out your ESC by using that higher pitch prop
3DMad5 is offline Find More Posts by 3DMad5
Reply With Quote
Old Aug 19, 2013, 03:34 PM
Registered User
Joined Aug 2013
20 Posts
Thank you
penguin fish is offline Find More Posts by penguin fish
Reply With Quote
Old Aug 20, 2013, 06:26 AM
Registered User
Burke, VA
Joined Sep 2009
4,968 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3DMad5 View Post
The 11x8 prop will make it go faster, however because the pitch is increased, the amp draw of the motor will also increase so you need to make sure you're not going to burn out your ESC by using that higher pitch prop
This is only true if the motor has the power to handle it. If the higher pitch prop overloads the motor too much it will actually go slower and eventually burn out the motor and or esc. To answer this question completely we should know what your setup is, i.e. motor, esc, battery, weight and size and type of plane that you plan to use it on. Oh and also what type of flying you plan on mostly doing.
jetinteriorguy is online now Find More Posts by jetinteriorguy
Reply With Quote
Old Aug 20, 2013, 11:19 AM
Registered User
Joined Aug 2013
20 Posts
Hi, I intend to use the prop on a 3dextreme bogey, using a 50A esc, 1800 3s lipo (overlander) and a 1100kv motor, This is my first plane as have been flying 6ch heli's for last 8 months. Will be using this plane as a learner plane as it is supposed to be almost indestructable lol, they aint see me fly/crash. Its cheap and cheerful well hey ! who wants to spend loads on a plane you know you will crash loads. Just want to have the best chance of flying it and if I can handle it throw in a few cheeky 3d moves.
penguin fish is offline Find More Posts by penguin fish
Reply With Quote
Old Aug 20, 2013, 11:31 AM
Registered User
Burke, VA
Joined Sep 2009
4,968 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by penguin fish View Post
Hi, I intend to use the prop on a 3dextreme bogey, using a 50A esc, 1800 3s lipo (overlander) and a 1100kv motor, This is my first plane as have been flying 6ch heli's for last 8 months. Will be using this plane as a learner plane as it is supposed to be almost indestructable lol, they aint see me fly/crash. Its cheap and cheerful well hey ! who wants to spend loads on a plane you know you will crash loads. Just want to have the best chance of flying it and if I can handle it throw in a few cheeky 3d moves.
This is still very incomplete info. Who makes the Bogey, what's the wingspan, weight, and how is it constructed? What size is the motor, i.e. how many watts, max current draw, and how much does it weigh? What brand is the motor so we can check on the stats to see if it's proper for this use? Using that small of a batt with that large of an esc. sounds like something isn't matched up well. What's the C rating of the battery to see if it will match up with the rest of the system. It takes a lot of specific information to answer such a simple question without giving you the wrong info and causing you to have serious problems before you even get into this aspect of RC flying. Probably the simplest way to find some of the answers would be to look at what gear the plane manufacturer recommends and then see how comparable your's is or if you need new stuff.
jetinteriorguy is online now Find More Posts by jetinteriorguy
Reply With Quote
Old Aug 20, 2013, 05:02 PM
Registered User
Joined Aug 2013
20 Posts
Hi, Thanks for your help but only wanted a rough guide at the moment, just want to get a feel for plane flying. If you want to know about the bogey this is the web address: http://www.splash1bogey.com, They do make suggestions of most items just not the prop size.
To confirm for your interest the esc I have over spec'd so I can use with other models the batteries are 25c, I also have 2200 3s lipo's so if i find not enough power in smaller batteries i can just change up.
My plane arrives Friday and I just wanted to go flying and needed to get a prop.

Thanks again though and im sure we will chat again, when im a little more experienced in this area of flying.
penguin fish is offline Find More Posts by penguin fish
Reply With Quote
Old Aug 20, 2013, 06:29 PM
Registered User
Burke, VA
Joined Sep 2009
4,968 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by penguin fish View Post
Hi, Thanks for your help but only wanted a rough guide at the moment, just want to get a feel for plane flying. If you want to know about the bogey this is the web address: http://www.splash1bogey.com, They do make suggestions of most items just not the prop size.
To confirm for your interest the esc I have over spec'd so I can use with other models the batteries are 25c, I also have 2200 3s lipo's so if i find not enough power in smaller batteries i can just change up.
My plane arrives Friday and I just wanted to go flying and needed to get a prop.

Thanks again though and im sure we will chat again, when im a little more experienced in this area of flying.
I just looked at the web site and it looks like you will need a motor in the 140gm range that makes about 450-500 watts. If that's about the size motor your using at the KV you mentioned I'm just guessing at all these things but with the wing span it sounds like the 11" prop should work and the higher pitched prop should be faster. Just watch your motor temp. Keep us posted how it goes.
jetinteriorguy is online now Find More Posts by jetinteriorguy
Reply With Quote
Old Aug 21, 2013, 07:19 AM
Registered User
United States, MI, Waterford Charter Township
Joined Aug 2008
1,327 Posts
I would add that most often going from 6" of pitch to 8" of pitch, all else being equal, you will be trading some vertical performance for horizontal performance?

If both props are in the right general area as far as suitability goes, the REAL bottom line will be provided after trying them both to see which YOU like better. There are guidelines, but it's not an exact science. Too many variables involved.
ahicks is offline Find More Posts by ahicks
Reply With Quote
Old Aug 21, 2013, 07:34 AM
Registered User
Joined Aug 2013
20 Posts
Thanks, this is all good info and I guess your right trial and error as long as im in the right area its a good place to start.Ill keep an eye on motor and esc temps and keep you all upto date with how it all goes and most of all how it performs.
penguin fish is offline Find More Posts by penguin fish
Reply With Quote
Old Aug 21, 2013, 11:32 AM
Registered User
Burke, VA
Joined Sep 2009
4,968 Posts
One other thing as well. You should get yourself a WattsUp meter and check the amp/watts before flying it. Then verify your within the manufacturers specs and thus avoid burning it up before even flying. They are pretty reasonable money wise and can save a lot of money spent on ruined motors.
jetinteriorguy is online now Find More Posts by jetinteriorguy
Reply With Quote
Old Aug 21, 2013, 12:23 PM
Registered User
Joined Aug 2013
20 Posts
Good point, lucky im a electrician and have a multi meter that will do the same thing. I will set up a bench rig for testing. Thank you for the advice.
penguin fish is offline Find More Posts by penguin fish
Reply With Quote
Old Feb 25, 2014, 01:58 PM
Registered User
United Kingdom, Leics
Joined Dec 2005
92 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by penguin fish View Post
Good point, lucky im a electrician and have a multi meter that will do the same thing. I will set up a bench rig for testing. Thank you for the advice.
http://www.spadcombat.co.uk/spad/4um/

Did you check on the spad forum? Lots of Bogie info there including setup details.
djdazzy is offline Find More Posts by djdazzy
Reply With Quote
Old Feb 25, 2014, 02:54 PM
Suspended Account
Joined Jan 2014
150 Posts
A quick answer is,,, now knowing you are wanting to learn 3D, you don't want either of these propellers
For 3D you will be wanting to pull and turn your plane about and not eat up the sky. Hence you need quick and responsive throttling (up and down). Sooo you need a 4.7 or even a 3.8 pitch, assuming your equipment will hover your plane. Check via your amp meter and if you have to swapout anything do so, but keep a low pitch prop.
Dwayn is offline Find More Posts by Dwayn
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Reply


Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Category Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Discussion Graupner E-props for HT-FPV spacer question? Tharr62 Multirotor Talk 8 Feb 13, 2014 07:18 PM
Question DJI F450 Build Questions ( T motors, Lipo's , Props ) Lenny7118 Multirotor Talk 7 Jan 19, 2013 07:40 AM
Discussion Newbie Prop/speed/amps question nighthawk0077 High Performance 23 Jan 15, 2013 09:58 PM
Discussion I Have A Prop Question Rickochet Power Systems 10 Jan 10, 2013 12:12 PM
Discussion RFM Folding prop-spinner offset question? kilwein Electric Sailplanes 6 Jan 05, 2013 08:10 PM