HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Mar 04, 2013, 03:36 PM
Rubber side down right?
Joined Mar 2013
6 Posts
Discussion
Can you help I.D this plane?

The wing span of this plane is 69 inches. The length is 50 inches. Bought it at an auction for $80 including servo's, engine, and radio. Would just like to know what the model is and if it would be a good trainer plane?
UnknownAce is offline Find More Posts by UnknownAce
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 04, 2013, 07:50 PM
United States, GA, Newnan
Joined Jan 2011
190 Posts
not sure what type of plane it is, but with the low wing design that looks to have little to no dihedral i do not think it will be a good trainer. Not to mention it is a full function plane with aileron, rudder, and elevator control. Good find for the price though.
roverroberts is online now Find More Posts by roverroberts
Old Mar 04, 2013, 09:14 PM
Rubber side down right?
Joined Mar 2013
6 Posts
Well, I always did enjoy a challenge . Thank you for the reply though. As I am sure you've deduced, I'm a newcomer to the RC field.

On a side note, I have yet to be able to figure out how to set-up independent operation of the aileron's. I know it requires 2 separate servo's, but on my radio, the RIGHT valve when pushed left/right only moves 1 servo? Any idea's there?
Old Mar 04, 2013, 09:56 PM
team sleprock
United States, WA, Port Angeles
Joined Dec 2009
3,374 Posts
you need a Y harness for ailerons
whiskykid is offline Find More Posts by whiskykid
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: great day!
Old Mar 04, 2013, 10:05 PM
Rubber side down right?
Joined Mar 2013
6 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by whiskykid View Post
you need a Y harness for ailerons
Outstanding! Thank you very much!
Old Mar 05, 2013, 02:19 AM
Rubber side down right?
Joined Mar 2013
6 Posts
Eureka!!

I believe I have found out what this plane is. According to the post that I found, this is a RC120 designed by Carl Speerly. It says they are rare due to the one piece fuselage sides? Anyway, thank you all for viewing this post and for trying to help me identify it.

Here is where I found it of all places: http://peoria.craigslist.org/tag/3577519136.html
Old Mar 05, 2013, 10:27 AM
United States, NY, Ithaca
Joined Sep 2007
906 Posts
Nice plane! What engine came with it? It should be terrific as a second plane. Get a trainer and don't be in a hurry.

Jim
buzzard bait is offline Find More Posts by buzzard bait
Old Mar 06, 2013, 03:10 AM
Rubber side down right?
Joined Mar 2013
6 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzard bait View Post
Nice plane! What engine came with it? It should be terrific as a second plane. Get a trainer and don't be in a hurry.

Jim
Jim,
The plane came with an OS FS48 Surpass. I don't know about buying a second plane at the moment. My chief financial officer, aka wife, probably wouldn't allow that. LoL. I just happened on this steal of a deal so it wasn't that big of an issue. I'm hoping that my local RC club can help me get the hang of this plane, or I'll just sit and stare at this one until I happen across a better trainer plane.
Old Mar 09, 2013, 03:01 PM
Rubber side down right?
Joined Mar 2013
6 Posts
Bummer Dude

Well, I found out today that the engine that I currently have, OS FS 48 Surpass is not big enough for this plane. The guy at the local RC shop said it is only half of what my plane needs in order to fly correctly. No worries though as he offered to sell me a brand new $300 engine which I had to decline.

Anyway, I am hoping that I can use my current engine as a partial trade towards a 120 that this plane needs. Thank you all for your assistance with the info for this newbie flyer.

PS. I have since hooked up the servos, and purchased the required Y-harness for the ailerons, so now i sit and run the batteries dead as i manipulate everything