HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 03, 2013, 11:58 AM
Sweden (┼kersberga)
Joined Nov 2004
683 Posts
Question
Better than Mega 16/15/2

What might be a better or as good as the Mega 16/15/2 at a reasonable price?

Thanks
hakank is online now Find More Posts by hakank
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 03, 2013, 02:34 PM
We want... Information!
Hastings, New Zealand
Joined Jan 2001
5,182 Posts
Nothing.

The HET Typhoon 2W comes close.

The ARC-28-48-1 is a good motor, but longer and heavier than the Mega.

The XK2845-B-4400KV is even heavier, and only rated for 7.4V - but it's cheap!

The Scorpion HKII-2221-6 also has similar performance to the Mega, but it's an outrunner and not cheap.

The Turnigy 450/500 H2223 4400KV is another outrunner. Cheap, but poor quality and not as efficient.

I also found a Velocity B1515/12T at jethobby.com.sg, but no price?
Bruce Abbott is offline Find More Posts by Bruce Abbott
Old Feb 04, 2013, 11:26 AM
Sweden (┼kersberga)
Joined Nov 2004
683 Posts
Ok. Thanks for the effort. I ordered the HET 2W-18 but had to send it back as it got very hot without even pussting any load = prop on it. Well, I have to order the Mega I guess..
hakank is online now Find More Posts by hakank
Old Feb 04, 2013, 12:43 PM
Wake up, feel pulse, be happy!
United States, AK, Fairbanks
Joined Aug 2009
12,406 Posts
Quote:
I ordered the HET 2W-18 but had to send it back as it got very hot without even pussting any load = prop on it. Well, I have to order the Mega I guess..
The Mega will do the same thing. My 16/15/2 certainly does. In fact, any motor in this size and Kv range will heat up a LOT (dangerously) even while running static with no load. There's nothing wrong with the motor. A small bit of cooling in flight will go a long, long way toward keeping the motor happy (not that a Mega needs to be babied much).

What are you trying to power with this motor?
C₄H₁₀ is offline Find More Posts by C₄H₁₀
Old Feb 04, 2013, 01:36 PM
Staffs, UK
Joined Apr 2009
3,562 Posts
I'm not sure you can better a Mega, Neu seem pretty close but they aren't any cheaper. I went through a stage of wanting to get a Neu, but the only place in Europe I could find was expensive so I never bothered.

HET are ok, but Mega's are better IMO, I'm now converted to buying a Mega if I want an inrunner. Anything else I just avoid now, the Velocity motors mentioned by Bruce were an option a bit ago, but I never got a reply fromJethobby so I gave up.

I saw your post in the Voodoo thread today, are you wanting a lower kv than the 16/15/2?
feefo is offline Find More Posts by feefo
Old Feb 04, 2013, 04:18 PM
Wake up, feel pulse, be happy!
United States, AK, Fairbanks
Joined Aug 2009
12,406 Posts
The HET line of motors are just copies of older Megas, but with slightly lesser quality components and materials (hence the lower price and decreased efficiency). A real Mega will win out every time against a HET with equivalent specs.

I believe Neu and Mega are on the same level. Even if one actually is superior to the other, I don't think you'd be able to tell the difference. If you need something better than either of them, you're probably dabbling in dark magic or American politics, neither of which are totally safe to mess with.
C₄H₁₀ is offline Find More Posts by C₄H₁₀
Old Feb 04, 2013, 05:09 PM
Staffs, UK
Joined Apr 2009
3,562 Posts
I noticed that the Het's drew more current for a similar speed, so I agree with C4 about the efficiency.

It seems that the difference between Mega's and Neu's is that between the 2 they seem to have most kv ranges covered. If you can't find the right kv in a Mega, the Neu's seem to offer something in between. I guess Neu's US popularity also coincided with the loss of Mega Motors US?
Old Feb 04, 2013, 05:34 PM
Bishopville S.C.
Joined May 2003
3,963 Posts
Snue's aren't new news in the U.S.

Have you heard about the Nueveox?
Ron H is offline Find More Posts by Ron H
Last edited by Ron H; Feb 04, 2013 at 05:44 PM. Reason: Wrong name for Steve's motor
Old Feb 04, 2013, 06:33 PM
Staffs, UK
Joined Apr 2009
3,562 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron H View Post
Snue's aren't new news in the U.S.

Have you heard about the Nueveox?
Nope, and neither has google... Have you got a link?

I wasn't implying Neu's were new to the US btw, I was asking whether their popularity has gone up since the loss of Mega Motors US, and are they simply that little bit easier to either get hold of or maybe get serviced? I know Mega's are sold by a few retailers over there, but if you look at the Mega website, there are options on there that US stockists don't stock. Might be more of a hassle to import from the EU than buy from the US for some people?
Old Feb 05, 2013, 12:37 PM
Bishopville S.C.
Joined May 2003
3,963 Posts
I can't find it on the web either. I suppose I could rummage through some old magazines to find an article on it, but I don't remember the name of the magazine or even the year it was published. What I do remember is that it was a very efficient motor using parts from an Aveox inrunner, using different stator plates and a few other modifications.
Ron H is offline Find More Posts by Ron H