HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 21, 2012, 02:05 AM
United States, CA, Anaheim
Joined Dec 2012
57 Posts
Discussion
Which FC to get? (AIOP v Ardu 2.5, RCTimer v WiteSpy)

I built a 450 quad with a KK 5.5 Blackboard and have started playing with it. Since I've dabbled in helis before, I don't have a problem with a gyro-only board. However, browsing RCGroups has piqued my interest in a drone. I'm thinking of either a Crius or Ardu clone, maybe play with waypoints and shoot video with a GoPro.

- Ardu 2.5 clone vs AIOP? The differences are:
Arducopter vs MW/MPNG - Ardu appears easier to set up, and gets updates sooner.
flash logging - How useful is this?
ATM32U - What would one reprogram this for?
SPI - Is this really needed over I2C?
price - +$30

- RCTimer vs WiteSpyQuad?
Price - For AIOP WSQ is cheaper, Ardu 2.5 RCT is cheaper, but express shipping brings it closer.
WSQ is in the US, is faster, and has a good reputation. RCTimer has a good rep for a Chinese company.

- LEA-6 vs Neo-6
Is the improvement in the LEA-6 noticeable for a hobbyist who's just playing around?

- BT vs radio?
For just changing settings/tweaking BT seems good enough. I'm guessing the feature set is the same.
With radio you can change waypoints and instructions from far away. Also, monitoring from a distance to troubleshoot. Any other benefits?

I'm thinking of getting a FC, BT, and GPS to start with. It sounds convenient to make changes with the cel phone, rather than lugging a laptop around. Or should I just spring for the radio now? (the answer is always Buy Moor Now, isn't it?)
mageus is offline Find More Posts by mageus
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 21, 2012, 02:37 AM
Click eagle to read my blog
Australia, NSW, Kendall
Joined Jul 2012
5,098 Posts
Without a doubt -> ArduFlyer 2.5 bundled with 3DRadio and CN-06 V2 GPS.
http://www.rctimer.com/index.php?gOo...7&productname=

whitespy or Rctimer - your choice.

The CN-06 V2 with NEO-6M is MUCH BETTER than all the LEA-6H I have tested.

jabram is offline Find More Posts by jabram
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by jabram; Dec 21, 2012 at 02:43 AM.
Old Dec 21, 2012, 12:39 PM
Joined Dec 2012
57 Posts
How did I know you would say that, jabram?

Another contender enters the ring:
UAV Objects, run by our very own RYBAT. The self-professed 'RCTimer vendor'. For only $1 more than RCTimer you can get your parts shipped direct from sunny Florida.

Any votes for the AIOP?
Old Dec 21, 2012, 07:36 PM
Click eagle to read my blog
Australia, NSW, Kendall
Joined Jul 2012
5,098 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mageus View Post

UAV Objects, run by our very own RYBAT. The self-professed 'RCTimer vendor'. For only $1 more than RCTimer you can get your parts shipped direct from sunny Florida.

Any votes for the AIOP?
Naturally I have actually installed and flown your other choices, ArduFlyer is better by a huge margin.

Compared to AIOP, ArduFlyer is miles ahead, much better designed board, much better power supply layout, better sensors, sensors are read faster, you can test everything whilst only USB is connected which you cannot do with AIOP, not crucial but annoying to have to connect Lipo and risk the motors starting up inside your house just because of the dumb power scheme in AIOP Extend Power in.

ONLY consider AIOP if you want to run Multiwii, but why would you, APM 2.5 is much better and keeps getting better.

ArduFlyer is 100% compatible with APM Mission Planner, firmware update etc, everything is easy to do from within Mission Planner no fiddling with Arduino, also NO WAITING for MP NG to catch up.

MP NG official release is 2.7 R4, Arduflyer can load easily at click of mouse in Mission Planner ArduCopter 2.8.1 and next week there will V2.9, while MP NG is always behind and not 100% compatible, lots of Arduino fiddling.

I only scratched the surface above pointing out the many important significant differences.

Yes, get it from sunny Florida naturally .
jabram is offline Find More Posts by jabram
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 21, 2013, 05:08 AM
Quiet Achiever
Joined Feb 2008
1,522 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mageus View Post

Any votes for the AIOP?
Actually, Sunny Texas....
RYBAT is offline Find More Posts by RYBAT
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 22, 2013, 02:55 PM
Joined May 2012
33 Posts
kind of hard to buy from uav objects
if you cant create an account
chas1 is offline Find More Posts by chas1
Old Jan 22, 2013, 03:27 PM
Joined Jul 2012
58 Posts
Jabram, thanks to your fanatic rambling, I'll make sure never to buy APM. You sound worse than DJI fanboys, and make even less sense.
n3mo is offline Find More Posts by n3mo
Old Jan 24, 2013, 11:42 AM
Joined Dec 2012
57 Posts
I ended up getting the RCTimer APM 2.5 telemetry/gps combo. No messing with ardu code, radio and gps come pre-configured. Connected to Mission Planner, updated the FW, and I was ready to go. During the 30 minutes I spent futzing in Mission Planner, the GPS had acquired a lock inside my house.

Spent another 10 minutes in my living room getting PIDs in the ballpark. For various issues, haven't taken it outside to get it fully sorted yet.

The Andropilot project (MP on Android) makes it even more compelling.

Yes, the UAV Objects website has been having major problems. But the low cost and prompt delivery make it a compelling option.
Old Jan 24, 2013, 12:35 PM
Quiet Achiever
Joined Feb 2008
1,522 Posts
All I can say is... I'm new to the Webstore thing. Having to deal with canned software that has poor support, Upgrades that kill the website, loading products by hand, getting inventory...etc.
I don't think we have done too bad recently. Store opened on Dec 3rd. I still have a few problems like "free shipping bug" and IE does not play well with many Store sites. I am working on it. I can say... I answer any question...any time...and I respond quickly. I pay extra for DHL delivery on China Restock and I re-stock on average weekly....Not all of RCT items are in my inventory....Just ask, I will add any items you need, I accept prepay on out of stock inventory and all prepay orders get priority on weekly shipments. If you have a website issue...My phone number is listed on the site. I only serve USA at this time.

I'm trying,
Kendall
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 24, 2013, 12:47 PM
Quiet Achiever
Joined Feb 2008
1,522 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by n3mo View Post
Jabram, thanks to your fanatic rambling, I'll make sure never to buy APM. You sound worse than DJI fanboys, and make even less sense.
I do not understand this comment. Jabram supports, informs and provides very knowledgeable, detailed information on many Flight Controllers and related systems. He is not arrogant in his comments and is remarkably responsive and accurate. Personally, we could use many more people like Jabram
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 24, 2013, 12:56 PM
Joined May 2012
33 Posts
ya i was able to start to set up an account on my phone but not my laptop
i am itching to get a amp 2.5 with gps and telem combo
dont want to solder and pins
but i could if i have too
Old Jan 24, 2013, 01:10 PM
Quiet Achiever
Joined Feb 2008
1,522 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by chas1 View Post
ya i was able to start to set up an account on my phone but not my laptop
i am itching to get a amp 2.5 with gps and telem combo
dont want to solder and pins
but i could if i have too
I solder the pins upon request at no charge to my customers...takes 5 minutes...just leave me a note on "straight or angled"
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 24, 2013, 01:11 PM
Joined May 2012
33 Posts
so i was able to creat an account using google not ie
and angled on top
thanks oreder on the way!
Old Jan 24, 2013, 01:21 PM
Joined May 2012
33 Posts