HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 09, 2012, 09:19 PM
that's gonna leave a scar
United States, NC, Mooresville
Joined Aug 2007
3,475 Posts
the servos on the outside, no doubt are gonna have less resistance movement for the elevator. compared to pushing & pulling the rod through a plastic sleeve that runs through the frame. i had a problem with that on my little F-86...the elevator just seemed too sticky and slow
KCinNC is offline Find More Posts by KCinNC
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 10, 2012, 09:23 AM
vtol fan
Joined Jul 2009
627 Posts
You are the master of ,sanding
Cheers...
nadine is offline Find More Posts by nadine
Old Nov 10, 2012, 05:03 PM
Team30 Micro EDF
Adelaide, Australia
Joined Apr 2004
11,199 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by nadine View Post
You are the master of ,sanding
Cheers...
...and not a spec of dust on the dining room table!
NitroCharged is offline Find More Posts by NitroCharged
Old Nov 11, 2012, 02:39 AM
United States, WA, Vancouver
Joined Mar 2012
739 Posts
tomorrow morning looks to be maiden day, I'll try to get good Phantom footage along with the F-86

I get a little dust on there sometimes Dave....what can set the wife off more is when I spend time in garage sanding then come in the house and forget to wipe my feet off....tracking foam dust onto the dining room rug apparently is an irritant to the female of the species evoking an irrational emotional response that is only alleviated by the immediate removal of the offending particulate matter

Joe
sloperjoe is offline Find More Posts by sloperjoe
Last edited by sloperjoe; Nov 11, 2012 at 02:50 AM.
Old Nov 11, 2012, 06:43 AM
bps
Indianapolis, IN
Joined Apr 2001
814 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by sloperjoe View Post
tomorrow morning looks to be maiden day, I'll try to get good Phantom footage along with the F-86

I get a little dust on there sometimes Dave....what can set the wife off more is when I spend time in garage sanding then come in the house and forget to wipe my feet off....tracking foam dust onto the dining room rug apparently is an irritant to the female of the species evoking an irrational emotional response that is only alleviated by the immediate removal of the offending particulate matter

Joe
Finally someone that understands women!
bps is online now Find More Posts by bps
Old Nov 11, 2012, 03:54 PM
Joined Mar 2012
739 Posts
hey hey!
took a few tosses to get the CG and trim sorted out...wasnt even close to where I thought it should be, but after moving the batts to just under the canopy and knocking the nickle off the tail I had glued on she took right off and flies very nicely, I was still just a smidgen tail heavy in the flight as it seemed to have a touch less responsiveness at slower speed, so next flight I will nudge the batts forward another 1/8th inch and that should just about dial her in. now before the maiden I put a thin coat of epoxy all around and just inside the nose/intake area....glad I did! one nose in was pretty hard as you'll see but thankfully didnt hurt it a bit
it was just starting to sprinkle so you'll see a drop got on the cam lens...and the breeze was picking up also...wanted to get the Phantom flown again today but that will have to wait till later I guess,
anyhow here it is, enjoy!

Joe

Box Fuse F 86 Maiden (0 min 0 sec)
Old Nov 11, 2012, 04:23 PM
USA, WA, Bremerton
Joined Mar 2009
941 Posts
Now that was a real maiden! That's the way most of mine come out, but man is that thing solid. I sometimes don't have enough tape or ca on hand to fix em.
great looking plane. Glad you got it sorted out.
MUTCAKE is offline Find More Posts by MUTCAKE
Old Nov 11, 2012, 04:35 PM
United States, TN, Jackson
Joined Mar 2007
4,014 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by sloperjoe View Post
hey hey!
took a few tosses to get the CG and trim sorted out...wasnt even close to where I thought it should be, but after moving the batts to just under the canopy and knocking the nickle off the tail I had glued on she took right off and flies very nicely, I was still just a smidgen tail heavy in the flight as it seemed to have a touch less responsiveness at slower speed, so next flight I will nudge the batts forward another 1/8th inch and that should just about dial her in. now before the maiden I put a thin coat of epoxy all around and just inside the nose/intake area....glad I did! one nose in was pretty hard as you'll see but thankfully didnt hurt it a bit
it was just starting to sprinkle so you'll see a drop got on the cam lens...and the breeze was picking up also...wanted to get the Phantom flown again today but that will have to wait till later I guess,
anyhow here it is, enjoy!

Joe

http://youtu.be/TsPJzfzoURs
CONGRATS!!!...I had a smile on my face a mile wide when you finally nailed down the CG and got it to fly...Again, WAY TO GO!!!...

What paint scheme have you chosen???

Kevin
Kevin Greene is offline Find More Posts by Kevin Greene
Old Nov 11, 2012, 07:40 PM
Joined Mar 2012
739 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MUTCAKE View Post
Now that was a real maiden! That's the way most of mine come out, but man is that thing solid. I sometimes don't have enough tape or ca on hand to fix em.
great looking plane. Glad you got it sorted out.
yep the fuselage is pretty robust and still pretty lite weight too, had me baffled for awhile there trying to get it in the air...seemed to me the CG should've been way farther back than where it turned out.. oh well, now I know and she flies, thats about all that counts

Joe
Old Nov 11, 2012, 07:47 PM
Joined Mar 2012
739 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin Greene View Post
CONGRATS!!!...I had a smile on my face a mile wide when you finally nailed down the CG and got it to fly...Again, WAY TO GO!!!...

What paint scheme have you chosen???

Kevin
thanks Kevin,
I have watched it a couple times now myself and it does have a good giggle factor, then when it finally flies off I can only smile too!
not sure how I'am going to paint it yet, now that it flies I'll be giving it a little more thought

Joe

ps now that she flies I will try to get the plans scanned and posted for anyone who wants to try their hand at building one. be great for those who have a crashed and crumpled SkyAngels Mig or Saber that needs a new airframe
Old Nov 11, 2012, 07:57 PM
Team30 Micro EDF
Adelaide, Australia
Joined Apr 2004
11,199 Posts
Great video and flight Joe!

I was cringing at the nose in count! I was waiting to hear the snap of depron but she took it like a trooper!.
NitroCharged is offline Find More Posts by NitroCharged
Old Nov 11, 2012, 08:05 PM
Joined Mar 2012
739 Posts
hey Dave,
yeah the one nose in I thought "uuuh crap I need to go get the glue"...but there was not a mark on it , very glad I painted the nose with epoxy or it would've been ugly.
I was pretty surprised also the thing handled extremely well for having just tailerons only glad I wont need to add ailerons...I like to keep things simple

Joe
Old Nov 11, 2012, 09:48 PM
Mike
Columbus, Ohio, United States
Joined Jul 2003
937 Posts
That is one sweet little jet. Congrats on the maiden.
i12flyrc is offline Find More Posts by i12flyrc
Old Nov 11, 2012, 10:17 PM
Joined Mar 2012
739 Posts
thanks Mike!,
thought you might like that

Joe
Old Nov 11, 2012, 11:04 PM
Lee Liddle
Carrollton, Tx
Joined Dec 2006
8,055 Posts
Good job. I had a successful maiden today too, but didn`t get video. Thanks for the effort to show us some vid. Now I feel guilty. LOL Maybe tomorrow I`ll post some vid.
Knife Liddle is online now Find More Posts by Knife Liddle
RCG Plus Member