SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Oct 17, 2012, 11:24 PM
Melbourne, Australia
Joined May 2006
6,407 Posts
BTW - A123 only used about $150M of the $250M that was made available to them as they had to match every dollar with other funding. So for those concerned about facts, the US government did not lose $250M in this particular attempt but the smaller, yet still significant, amount of $150M.

If we all went to live in the forests in Borneo there wouldn't be any forests, so that is hardly a sensible or meaningful definition of 'being green' nor a plan for useful change. Of course I presume it was offered in jest.

It is reactionary and unhelpful to adopt the extreme position that reducing our environmental footprint means returning to a caveman or primitive hunter-gatherer existence. There is much that can be done with existing technology and moderate lifestyle changes if only we can map a path from where we are to where we need to be that enables a peaceful but prompt transition. Given the fractious character of human beings and the short-sighted nature of most politics, it seems unlikely that path will be followed and so our children will pay the price.

Meanwhile I keep flying my helis on A123 cells that are about four years and hundreds of cycles old. The technology is great and I hope the new owner can make it prosper.
kgfly is offline Find More Posts by kgfly
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 18, 2012, 02:21 AM
Boffin
Victoria, BC, Canada
Joined Apr 2001
3,397 Posts
The US government (which is most of you reading this but not me) didn't lose anything. They provided a grant to bring US technology that was being manufactured in Asia back to native soil. It was never a loan that was going to be repaid so it was "lost" from day 1. If it continues under Johnson it was a wise investment and it might be considered wise just to deprive a foreign competitor.
In the meantime, we got some excellent batteries at a fraction of what they should have cost us.
rpage53 is offline Find More Posts by rpage53
Old Oct 18, 2012, 09:17 AM
San Diego, California
Joined Dec 2004
3,402 Posts
"The US government (which is most of you reading this but not me) didn't lose anything."

They never do. The only money they spend is OURS.

Les
LesUyeda is offline Find More Posts by LesUyeda
Old Oct 18, 2012, 10:04 AM
NB Canada
Joined Apr 2008
458 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWoodCrafter View Post
Beckler,

Can you please answer my question -

How does the government giving me money to buy an EV car "alleviate environmental and other issues"?
Ohmic answers it above; thought it was pretty obvious myself...
Beckler is offline Find More Posts by Beckler
Old Oct 18, 2012, 09:11 PM
RC Helicopter Pilot
United States, CA, Westminster
Joined Mar 2010
1,696 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beckler View Post
Ohmic answers it above; thought it was pretty obvious myself...
And here I thought you were trying to infer some other crap about being "Green" or the evils of "global warming".

Sorry for reading too much into that.
TheWoodCrafter is offline Find More Posts by TheWoodCrafter
Old Oct 19, 2012, 07:23 PM
RC Helicopter Pilot
Joined Mar 2010
1,696 Posts
I thought you guys may be interested in this story.

http://autos.yahoo.com/blogs/motoram...182043143.html

Why the heck would you build, staff and outfit a factory to build EV batteries when there wasn't a market for them?

Was this more of that Stimulus money Obama pissed away on Green jobs that don't exist?

Another example of government created jobs.
Lets pay people to do nothing.
Old Oct 19, 2012, 07:49 PM
USA
Joined Jan 2002
4,688 Posts
Quote:
I thought you guys may be interested in this story.

http://autos.yahoo.com/blogs/motoram...182043143.html

Why the heck would you build, staff and outfit a factory to build EV batteries when there wasn't a market for them?

Was this more of that Stimulus money Obama pissed away on Green jobs that don't exist?

Another example of government created jobs.
Lets pay people to do nothing.
What car manufacturer is going to sign a contract to buy your batteries if you don't have a factory or staff to make them?
Ohmic is online now Find More Posts by Ohmic
Old Oct 19, 2012, 08:05 PM
RC Helicopter Pilot
Joined Mar 2010
1,696 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohmic View Post
What car manufacturer is going to sign a contract to buy your batteries if you don't have a factory or staff to make them?
Are you one of those "build it and they will come" believers?

If you knew anything about business or if you had ever owned a business you would know NOTHING happens without SALES.

The only time you piss away millions and millions of dollars on putting the cart before the horse is when it is not your money and it doesn't matter if you loose it.

Well it was FREE Federal money SUBSIDIZING a green industry that can't make it own it's own and where the technology is NOT ready for prime time.
Old Oct 19, 2012, 09:31 PM
USA
Joined Jan 2002
4,688 Posts
Quote:
Are you one of those "build it and they will come" believers?

If you knew anything about business or if you had ever owned a business you would know NOTHING happens without SALES.

The only time you piss away millions and millions of dollars on putting the cart before the horse is when it is not your money and it doesn't matter if you loose it.

Well it was FREE Federal money SUBSIDIZING a green industry that can't make it own it's own and where the technology is NOT ready for prime time.
I guess your business model depends on a lot of dumb customers. No one is going to sell me anything unless they show me where it's made, how they produce it, and how many they can produce.

You can call it sales all you want. I call it supply chain risk management and I won't be buying anything from a risky supplier.

The large manufacturers spend millions a year just on the analysis for their supply chain risk management systems.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Supply_...isk_management
Old Oct 20, 2012, 12:15 AM
Electrocuted
SW Louisiana
Joined Jun 2002
240 Posts
Bankrupt

http://www.mlive.com/business/index....tery_make.html
RC_AVIGATOR is offline Find More Posts by RC_AVIGATOR
Old Oct 20, 2012, 12:24 AM
Electrocuted
SW Louisiana
Joined Jun 2002
240 Posts
So where do we get lithium?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lithium#Production
RC_AVIGATOR is offline Find More Posts by RC_AVIGATOR
Old Oct 20, 2012, 12:32 AM
Mosquito 6
Joined Jun 2012
483 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohmic View Post
I guess your business model depends on a lot of dumb customers. No one is going to sell me anything unless they show me where it's made, how they produce it, and how many they can produce.

You can call it sales all you want. I call it supply chain risk management and I won't be buying anything from a risky supplier.

The large manufacturers spend millions a year just on the analysis for their supply chain risk management systems.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Supply_...isk_management
@ohmic Your patience with WC is to be lauded .. as he keeps posting typical redcoat questions and responses, and you have been gracious enough to respond out of courtesy.

Lets take a moment .. to give thanks for the life of a true American Hero .. WWII B-24 bomber pilot .. 35 missions over Germany .. Senator George S McGovern.
TayNinh68 is offline Find More Posts by TayNinh68
Last edited by TayNinh68; Oct 20, 2012 at 06:04 PM.
Old Oct 20, 2012, 01:45 AM
Los Angeles
Joined Oct 2010
1,519 Posts
Time to unsubscribe. This is getting creepy.

Harry
Harry H is offline Find More Posts by Harry H
Old Oct 21, 2012, 04:46 PM
USA
Joined Jan 2002
4,688 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by TayNinh68 View Post
@ohmic Your patience with WC is to be lauded .. as he keeps posting typical redcoat questions and responses, and you have been gracious enough to respond out of courtesy.

Lets take a moment .. to give thanks for the life of a true American Hero .. WWII B-24 bomber pilot .. 35 missions over Germany .. Senator George S McGovern.
Thanks for the kind words, TayNinh68.