HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Reply
Thread Tools
Old Sep 13, 2014, 02:43 PM
Registered User
United States, MI, Waterford Charter Township
Joined Aug 2008
1,327 Posts
Rex, the smaller motor will fly the plane fine "on the wing". Where you need any available extra poop is when pulling out of a hover, or trying to power yourself out of (into) trouble.

Agreed on those nuts. You have to use something to lock them.
ahicks is offline Find More Posts by ahicks
Reply With Quote
Sign up now
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 13, 2014, 05:24 PM
Registered User
Joined May 2014
60 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RexGalore View Post
After I pulled off the (snapped) prop, the motor felt okay when rotated. I shot compressed air into/over/around it, and the T-Motor lives! (I will probably add that Turnigy motor on my next order to Hobby King - I'm still agonizing over maybe buying that Pitts like yours, Jim. Can it fly slow "on the wing"?)

I drilled out all the servo extension arm centers (thanks again, microDan!!) and re-centered the surfaces. Another thing I caught - the nuts on the Techone clone "E-Z connectors" were all loose, even though I swear I put blue Loctite on them when I assembled them. I tightened them and put red nail polish on them this time.

My re-re-re-re-maiden was kind of dicey, it wanted almost all right trim on aileron and rudder, too and a bunch of down elevator as well. I got it settled down pretty well for a few flights, then I think I dialed too much "spoil" into the flaperons and it lost interest in following directional orders. Fortunately it gently settled down in a big patch of phragmities reeds and never touched the ground.

Looking over the elevator (not the horizontal stabilizer), it appears that the outboard rear surfaces and trailing edges are sort of warped down. The elevator is very "floppy" and I can easily push them up to where they belong (and beyond) but they won't stay straight. I have the CF rods from the bottom of the fuse to the bottom of the h-stab, but when I give up elevator , the h-stab torques, too (and it's solidly glued in).

Also, oddly, I measured the H-stab to wing and wing center alignment and they seem fine, although it looks like the main fuse may have a bit of a axial twist toward the front end.

I think the additive misalignments and warpages are coming together to make trimming very difficult (at least for me).

Thanks again for your help!
Rex, yes, that is where the Pitts really excels, back off on the throttle and the Pitts slows to a crawl without falling out of the sky! It is not as fast as the Yak 54 of course, but it does fly slower before stalling. The Yak is a little better at Harrier for me. Both are easy and stable in hover.
Regarding the motor on the Pitts I first used the 2213 1000kv motor which is identical to the 2217 but lighter by 15 grams or so at 56 grams. I have over 60 flights on the Pitts already in just a few days, still not sure which motor I like better, the 2213 or the 2217, both great motors. The 2217 is more power than needed and is better at hovering using the 11X4.7 prop, the throttle adjustment just seems more sensitive and easy to adjust with the bigger motor. The draw back is it has too much power when landing, so very tiny adjustments in the throttle can cause the plane to porpoise a bit. Probably not a problem for normal landing, but I am landing on thick grass and need to lift the nose way up to a stop and let it plop onto the grass so as not to damage the LG. The 2213 motor with a 10X4.7 prop is nearly as good as the larger motor but better for landing as throttle adjustment or sensitivity is better at slow speed or low power. The nice thing is I can switch motors less than 5 minutes! Almost for sure you would not be happy with the tiny stock motor....I'll save mine for a future smaller plane. Overall the Pitts is rising to the top of my favorite list, it just so predictable and stable in flight, the kind of plane that looks graceful just flying 5' off the ground slowly doing nothing fancy. And the plane is tough too, I've had 2 crashes. One a knife edge too close to the ground where a wing tip hit and cartwheeled the plane, no damage. The 2nd a stall and straight in plunge to the ground but only 10' up or so and cut power. Broken prop was the only damage.
I posted a number of pictures of the finished plane and some thoughts and comments at: http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...+EPP+CF&page=8

Looks like that link is not working. It is posted in the Parkflyers section under ,Build Log, pitts epp from hobbyking.......last page
Seems to be a nearly dead thread from a few years ago......
Paleomanjim is offline Find More Posts by Paleomanjim
Last edited by Paleomanjim; Sep 13, 2014 at 06:25 PM.
Reply With Quote
Old Sep 13, 2014, 06:02 PM
Prop-Snapping Excitement!
RexGalore's Avatar
United States, CT, Hartford
Joined Feb 2014
49 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by microDan View Post
Hey Rex,
Those EZ connectors you mentioned..... The nut is not supposed to be tightened so much as to lock it to the servo arm. It must be loose enough to allow the rod/connector to swivel and then the nut locked with CA, locktite , nailpolish etc.
The nut on the left aileron was loose enough to be spun off with a fingertip.
If this keeps happening, I'm gonna fire my airplane assembler!
RexGalore is offline Find More Posts by RexGalore
Reply With Quote
Old Sep 13, 2014, 06:09 PM
Prop-Snapping Excitement!
RexGalore's Avatar
United States, CT, Hartford
Joined Feb 2014
49 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ahicks View Post
Rex, the smaller motor will fly the plane fine "on the wing". Where you need any available extra poop is when pulling out of a hover, or trying to power yourself out of (into) trouble.

Agreed on those nuts. You have to use something to lock them.
With the stock motor and an APC 10x4.5SF, the "Fat Yak" will pull out pretty well (not a rocket, but it does go). With he APC 11x3.8SF, not as well, but I only tried it briefly during my trimming flights.

If I only knew for sure whether to power up or power down when trouble comes, I'd be a lot easier on the equipment!
RexGalore is offline Find More Posts by RexGalore
Reply With Quote
Old Sep 13, 2014, 06:29 PM
Prop-Snapping Excitement!
RexGalore's Avatar
United States, CT, Hartford
Joined Feb 2014
49 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paleomanjim View Post
Rex, yes, that is where the Pitts really excels, back off on the throttle and the Pitts slows to a crawl without falling out of the sky! It is not as fast as the Yak 54 of course, but it does fly slower before stalling. The Yak is a little better at Harrier for me. Both are easy and stable in hover.
Regarding the motor on the Pitts I first used the 2213 1000kv motor which is identical to the 2217 but lighter by 15 grams or so at 56 grams. I have over 60 flights on the Pitts already in just a few days, still not sure which motor I like better, the 2213 or the 2217, both great motors. The 2217 is more power than needed and is better at hovering using the 11X4.7 prop, the throttle adjustment just seems more sensitive and easy to adjust with the bigger motor. The draw back is it has too much power when landing, so very tiny adjustments in the throttle can cause the plane to porpoise a bit. Probably not a problem for normal landing, but I am landing on thick grass and need to lift the nose way up to a stop and let it plop onto the grass so as not to damage the LG. The 2213 motor with a 10X4.7 prop is nearly as good as the larger motor but better for landing as throttle adjustment or sensitivity is better at slow speed or low power. The nice thing is I can switch motors less than 5 minutes! Almost for sure you would not be happy with the tiny stock motor....I'll save mine for a future smaller plane. Overall the Pitts is rising to the top of my favorite list, it just so predictable and stable in flight, the kind of plane that looks graceful just flying 5' off the ground slowly doing nothing fancy. And the plane is tough too, I've had 2 crashes. One a knife edge too close to the ground where a wing tip hit and cartwheeled the plane, no damage. The 2nd a stall and straight in plunge to the ground but only 10' up or so and cut power. Broken prop was the only damage.
I posted a number of pictures of the finished plane and some thoughts and comments at: http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...+EPP+CF&page=8
Okay, I give up (in)! It seems like I'll be needing something to add to or replace the "Fat Yak" when the combination of my ineptitude, poor eyesight and additive damage make the poor thing unrepairable (but I still have a full tube of Welder in stock).

I scratch built a 38" profile Stearman out of pink FFF, and it's been suffering, too (pink FFF is really brittle). http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...0&postcount=58
I flew it through a Russian Olive bush and have fixed it, so an EPP Pitts is NOT an unreasonable purchase.
RexGalore is offline Find More Posts by RexGalore
Reply With Quote
Old Sep 13, 2014, 06:45 PM
Prop-Snapping Excitement!
RexGalore's Avatar
United States, CT, Hartford
Joined Feb 2014
49 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paleomanjim View Post
I posted a number of pictures of the finished plane and some thoughts and comments at: http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...+EPP+CF&page=8

Looks like that link is not working. It is posted in the Parkflyers section under ,Build Log, pitts epp from hobbyking.......last page
Seems to be a nearly dead thread from a few years ago......
Jim, I found your posts here:

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...1754025&page=8

Very good info - thanks!
RexGalore is offline Find More Posts by RexGalore
Reply With Quote
Old Sep 13, 2014, 09:33 PM
Registered User
United States, MI, Waterford Charter Township
Joined Aug 2008
1,327 Posts
Rex, my Techones are generally replaced when I can't stand to look at them any more, not because they won't fly or refuse to be glued back together again. When they're replaced they've generally been repaired a countless number of times.

2217/2836 (same motor) would be minimum power here. I wouldn't put anything smaller on an 1100mm Techone.
ahicks is offline Find More Posts by ahicks
Reply With Quote
Old Sep 14, 2014, 10:25 AM
Registered User
Enrique K.'s Avatar
Montevideo, Uruguay
Joined Apr 2006
106 Posts
I am using a Turnigy D3536/8 1,000 kV with an APC 11x5.5 prop on my Techone HobbyKing Yak 55 1096 mm wingspan -with 1800 mAh 25 C Yellow Jacket batteries- and I only needed to put 7 grams of lead in the tail. Unlimited power!

There was an earlier comment in this thread about the model oscillating in the upright harrier maneuver (very smooth on inverted). I experienced the same, but solved it with wing fences. It is now very stable in both harrier positions. Actually, I have put wing fences in all of my 3D planes: same improvement all around.


Quote:
Originally Posted by ahicks View Post
Rex, my Techones are generally replaced when I can't stand to look at them any more, not because they won't fly or refuse to be glued back together again. When they're replaced they've generally been repaired a countless number of times.

2217/2836 (same motor) would be minimum power here. I wouldn't put anything smaller on an 1100mm Techone.
Enrique K. is offline Find More Posts by Enrique K.
Reply With Quote
Old Sep 14, 2014, 10:29 AM
Registered User
United States, NC, Garner
Joined Nov 2012
1,682 Posts
SWIFT More EASY GREASY FLYING (5 min 33 sec)
dalecheek1 is offline Find More Posts by dalecheek1
Reply With Quote
Old Sep 14, 2014, 01:51 PM
Registered RC NUT!
The Snake's Avatar
United States, CA, Lomita
Joined Jun 2002
307 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dalecheek1 View Post
Nice flying, great day to fly all over. It was bloody hot but so much fun!

Victor
The Snake is offline Find More Posts by The Snake
Reply With Quote
Old Sep 14, 2014, 03:21 PM
Registered RC NUT!
The Snake's Avatar
United States, CA, Lomita
Joined Jun 2002
307 Posts
My Techone Energy (5 min 38 sec)


Perfect day of flying, no wind but so hot. I had to keep it out away from the pilots line due to others flying. Did some snaps, outside loops, hovering and it does perfectly slow touch and go's!

Maybe next weekend I will do only inverted flight video!

ENJOY!!!

Victor
The Snake is offline Find More Posts by The Snake
Reply With Quote
Old Sep 14, 2014, 03:49 PM
Registered User
United States, NC, Garner
Joined Nov 2012
1,682 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Snake View Post
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QkgBIXVFJRU

Perfect day of flying, no wind but so hot. I had to keep it out away from the pilots line due to others flying. Did some snaps, outside loops, hovering and it does perfectly slow touch and go's!

Maybe next weekend I will do only inverted flight video!

ENJOY!!!

Victor
Sweet......
dalecheek1 is offline Find More Posts by dalecheek1
Reply With Quote
Old Sep 15, 2014, 12:17 PM
Registered User
Joined May 2014
60 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Snake View Post
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QkgBIXVFJRU

Perfect day of flying, no wind but so hot. I had to keep it out away from the pilots line due to others flying. Did some snaps, outside loops, hovering and it does perfectly slow touch and go's!

Maybe next weekend I will do only inverted flight video!

ENJOY!!!

Victor
Thanks, enjoyed watching! Sure can fly slow!.....jim
Paleomanjim is offline Find More Posts by Paleomanjim
Reply With Quote
Old Sep 15, 2014, 07:38 PM
Registered RC NUT!
The Snake's Avatar
United States, CA, Lomita
Joined Jun 2002
307 Posts
Thanks Dale and Jim for your kind words.The plane is still new so I have not yet done all I wanted yet. I will still play with the CG to see if I can get my loops tighter.

I am going to play a lot with the inverted flight next weekend to see if I can do some EPP removal from the rudder! May need to add a carbon skid to it first!

Victor
The Snake is offline Find More Posts by The Snake
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Category Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Cool Twisted Hobbys Owners Thread! hercdriver7777 3D Foamies 8607 Today 06:34 AM
Discussion DJI Wookong-M Owners Thread *Pics*Videos*Settings* Z06 Tony Multirotor Talk 1780 Sep 03, 2014 08:28 AM
Discussion Dynam Warbird Owners Thread Merlin Power Electric Warbirds 1310 Sep 01, 2014 09:56 PM
New Product GAUI 500x/ GU-INS GPS Owners Thread - Tips, Problems And Experiences sap_2000 Multirotor Talk 231 Aug 05, 2014 04:32 AM
Discussion Classic Parkzone Radian Owners thread wingymaster Electric Sailplanes 7 May 23, 2012 10:13 AM