HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 28, 2012, 08:03 AM
Joined Feb 2012
10 Posts
hi strange question im new sorry wear can i get a APM 2 from?
games133 is offline Find More Posts by games133
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 28, 2012, 08:21 AM
making crashing a lifestyle!
The Netherlands, UT, Soest
Joined Feb 2012
1,039 Posts
hmmmm.... that would be an interesting ordeal!
i think at first you have to put the flight time in the freezer.. i am still amazed by the power lipos produce. i have been out of the hobby for many years and when i came back the lipos were here.. before you had hardly power for short times with heavy powerpacks.. now the lipos are light and can produce a buckload of power for a decent time. but the battery technology isn't on the point you will need it.. (very light, stores a lot of power and can deliver even more power for looooong time, and cheap..) it will come.. just as the lipos has come.

flightboards with all what you want are on the market, but they will take the biggest chunk out of your $500. if not all of it..

you know people who can code? also software writers?
i have been toying with an idea.. hear me out...it sounds stupid.. but most things started stupid.. and are now common..

the present types of smartphones and PDA's seem to be almost up to the task, if you make your own code, software and get some pinouts..

chinese rip off phones and PDA's can be found for well under $100,-, 90% of these smart phones work on exactly the same base board, base code and software.
the new types have accelero meters and gps. some do even have giros!
if you can find a smart "geek" perhaps he can make and program a breakout board for the TX and extra sensors.
a phone or pda comes with wifi, ditch the wifi and use the protocol for the breakout board. (or get the bluetooth)

you will have a lot of nice freebees with a phone/pda.. like: touch screen for setting up, build in camera for fpv, lots onboard data storage, (mini/micro) SD slot for recorded flight videos.
if the camera has face recognition a smart "geek" could write some "follow that face/object" software..

these are my brainfarts, but i'm no "geek" so i can't make the code or software.. but i still see tuns and tuns of (cheap) potential in using a smartphone/pda for all in one flight controller.
they are more heavy than a "normal" fc but a complete system with all puts on a fair amount af grams on the scale to..

i know some may say: "you are nuts" but someone did get a nintendo one day and looked at the nunchuck and saw potential in that thing.. now many are ripping nunchucks apart to use the parts on their multi rotors..
dutchcommando is offline Find More Posts by dutchcommando
Old Feb 28, 2012, 08:43 AM
Joined Feb 2011
1,401 Posts
Do you know anything about multicopters, or did you get this idea after seeing one on YouTube? If you had any experience you would see how stupid that request is. Profession units that cost 50-100,000 come no where near that performance. Why don't you give up some flight time and add a warp drive while you are dreaming.

There are lots of bright people here that can stretch a buck and get good performance. Do some research and read some threads so you can learn what is doable.
milo12 is offline Find More Posts by milo12
Old Feb 28, 2012, 09:07 AM
Joined Feb 2012
10 Posts
silly me ive looking at the at the APM 2 all along but didnt realize till read this thread lol i thought the APM 1 would of been better due the price difference
Old Feb 28, 2012, 09:07 AM
let's brm together!
Czech Republic, Prague
Joined Nov 2011
390 Posts
APM2 + DIY aluminium frame

I can see it being done for $500, no problem.
zviratko is offline Find More Posts by zviratko
Old Feb 28, 2012, 09:35 AM
Huckfest or bust!
United States, WA, Woodinville
Joined Mar 2007
8,057 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by zviratko View Post
APM2 + DIY aluminium frame

I can see it being done for $500, no problem.
and carry enough lipo capacity to hover for 90+ minutes?
no.
cryhavoc38 is offline Find More Posts by cryhavoc38
Old Feb 28, 2012, 09:39 AM
Huckfest or bust!
United States, WA, Woodinville
Joined Mar 2007
8,057 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by anonamous View Post
That was my first thought. But when I saw the total posts from the OP it explained a lot.

I am far from a guru, but the biggest shock most noobies have is the length of time quads stay in the air on one battery.
lol...doesn't even have to be the battery's fault either regarding how long a quad can stay in the air. I've put one up and in under a couple seconds, its been down.

cryhavoc38 is offline Find More Posts by cryhavoc38
Old Feb 28, 2012, 09:48 AM
Joined Feb 2012
10 Posts
priced mine up for about 330 with out battery and im sure you could get a battery for under 170 i think you could have could battery's or more that could increase the time in the air ?
Old Feb 28, 2012, 09:57 AM
Rank Amatuer
United States, ID, Boise
Joined Dec 2011
506 Posts
You'll want to read this thread, in relation to flight time:

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...ghlight=51+min

The current flight time record is 88 minutes. So far all long flights are achieved with super-efficient quadcopters, not hexas. Hexas run more motors, so you'd need even more battery power to achieve the same flight time result, in theory. The copter in the first post of that thread would cost above your $500 mark just with motors and props. The 88 minute copter is thousands of dollars (not sure exactly).

I think it's good to have dreams, but also important to have a series of realistic goals leading up to that dream. If your team is serious about creating a film rig (which it would seem is your ultimate goal), I would suggest starting a little smaller. Believe me, you will end up eating through a lot of money making mistakes until you fully grasp everything involved. You could easily build a quad with solid performance, enough lift capacity for small, decent camera (NEX 5, GoPro, Crocolis), and 10 or more minutes flight time for your budget. The tricky part will be the flight controller with your specified features.

I would go with this flight controller:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Black-Vortex...ht_2221wt_1163

It has everything you would need. Run either megapirate code or MultiWii, and understand that either way you will be needing to improve the code quite a bit to achieve what you are seeking. Also understand that there are people around the world already working on this code to do some of the things you are looking for, with variable degrees of success, and many of them are probably smarter than your coders. But the more hands on these projects, the better. Just be sure to give back to the open source community and share your success, since you are standing on their shoulders to get started.

I would also recommend doing a lot more reading before saying anything about 90 minute flight times in this forum. These are a great bunch of people, and are very helpful generally, so don't be put off by the response you have gotten here. But what your first post suggests is an advancement in technology and hardware beyond anything that currently exists, for the price of a hobby sport copter. Given that, I'm sure you can understand why the response has been a little negative.
FullmoonCat is offline Find More Posts by FullmoonCat
Old Feb 28, 2012, 10:05 AM
I never finish anyth
United States, TX, Houston
Joined Jan 2012
2,585 Posts
I'll pay $600 if it will mow my lawn and cuddle with me at night.
MCrites is offline Find More Posts by MCrites
Old Feb 28, 2012, 10:13 AM
Joined Feb 2012
10 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MCrites View Post
I'll pay $600 if it will mow my lawn and cuddle with me at night.
just $600?
Old Feb 28, 2012, 02:08 PM
gardena, ca
Joined Feb 2003
439 Posts
"Originally Posted by CrazyLittle
Hell, is there even a FC that has all of that for under $500?
technically arducopter, if it flies."

Arducopter is a good start with its open source software and people all over the world working on its software for free...hard to beat. Shooting from the hips, maybe even combining Arducopter with a smart phone somehow...I can see phoning a multirotor ship to return to home.
rhokita is offline Find More Posts by rhokita
Old Feb 28, 2012, 03:42 PM
United States, AZ, Scottsdale
Joined Sep 2011
517 Posts
I am sure it can be done, it won't function like a wookong-m autopilot system and it may require a lot of troubleshooting a PID tuning, but, nevertheless, $500 is a reasonable budget for a hobby multicopter (non-professional) with gps. I am essentially building a similar setup to the one described, however, I decided to go with Avroto motors and a carbon fiber Xaircraft frame. Take off those components and replace them with some inexpensive Turnigy motors and a scratch built PVC or basswood frame and it will only cost about $450 shipped.

I put together a bill of materials for my Xaircraft X4 here (scroll down):

http://polakiumengineering.org/?cat=53

I will be updating my build log as my parts arrive and I find time to build it. For my setup I decided to go with Avroto's, a carbon fiber Xaircraft X4 DIY frame and I also purchased some accessories such as LEDs, a power distribution board and a telemetry module. The total including all of the accessories and shipping costs was about $750. This can easily be reduced below $500 with different motors and a scratch built frame.
sg1anubis is offline Find More Posts by sg1anubis
Old Feb 28, 2012, 04:08 PM
Destroyer of G-10
United States, OR
Joined Jul 2004
10,085 Posts
apm 2.0 still does not meet most of the "requirement" set forth by the OP. heck, even DJI wmk does not do most of what is requested. OP better have access to great coders.
askman is offline Find More Posts by askman
RCG Plus Member