HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Aug 03, 2011, 11:41 AM
Joined Jun 2011
22 Posts
Discussion
Main causes of multicopter failures.

Hello,

I want to implement an in-flight diagnostic systems for the Quad I'm building and I'd like to hear from experienced people which are the main causes of failure in order to try to avoid it.

For example, I've heard that people crashes because of ESC overheating so I'm thinking about installing a temperature sensor in each ESC to report me when it's being overpowered.

Any suggestion or ideas?

edit: Let's just list equipment failure. Something avoidable if monitoring while flying.
Piloting and building mistakes are already implicit.

Thank you!
Rivello is offline Find More Posts by Rivello
Last edited by Rivello; Aug 03, 2011 at 05:03 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 03, 2011, 11:43 AM
Suspended Account
Joined Dec 2010
11,764 Posts
the biggest problem is crappy flight control code.
then the pilot. why would esc overheat if you didn't overdrive it?
timecop is offline Find More Posts by timecop
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Aug 03, 2011, 11:54 AM
Registered Lunatic
Boston, MA
Joined Jul 2010
1,005 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by timecop View Post
why would esc overheat if you didn't overdrive it?
It wouldn't, or shouldn't. If the ESC is undersized for the motor attached to it that's a manufacturer or builder problem and nothing an in flight diagnostic is going to fix.

Biggest source of inflight failures/crashes I've seen have been either crap components and/or poor build quality, followed a close second by dumb thumb syndrome. Bad controller code would have to take a distant third place in my book.
RTRyder is offline Find More Posts by RTRyder
Old Aug 03, 2011, 12:05 PM
Joined Jun 2011
22 Posts
Thank you for the answers,
So you guys think that temp. sensors for the ESC and Batt are waste?
Rivello is offline Find More Posts by Rivello
Old Aug 03, 2011, 12:15 PM
Hawaii
Joined Feb 2003
5,952 Posts
The biggest cause is still the pilot/builder.

I doubt if there is going to be an objective answer from this thread. No one is willing to admit their own mistakes.

To me the biggest cause of multi rotor crash has to be poor soldering.

Improper connections of electrical components. In sufficient wire size.

Lots to go wrong before we can get to the electronic components such as speed controllers and flight controller.
SeismicCWave is offline Find More Posts by SeismicCWave
Old Aug 03, 2011, 12:33 PM
Spiritual Hovering
Paris, France
Joined Sep 2010
257 Posts
An inflight monitoring system with telemetry say it all: You decide how many parameters/sensors you wish to follow. This will help you visualize the kopter health to engage the right decision (to avoid/limit crash).

But first of all, it is about monitoring a well conceived and built system (avoiding a "crash by design").
Beyond a good design, is a design provisioning redundancy at a given level (example 2 independant sets of Lipo/ESC/Prop)

Finally, you have the human factor crashes, where manual piloting, bad payload lead to a CFIT (controlled flight into Terrain).
Coptaire is offline Find More Posts by Coptaire
Old Aug 03, 2011, 12:45 PM
Joined Feb 2011
461 Posts
Quote:
The biggest cause is still the pilot/builder.
PILOT is main cause.
BUILDER second.

esc... firmware whateverproblems number 99
V_Okto is offline Find More Posts by V_Okto
Old Aug 03, 2011, 01:51 PM
Bangkok
Joined Oct 2007
1,633 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rivello View Post
Thank you for the answers,
So you guys think that temp. sensors for the ESC and Batt are waste?
Some years ago I read an article about the MiG-29 design, one of the engineers said something that is worth keeping in mind as designers/builders, it went something like:

"The best system on an aircraft is the one that it doesn't have, because it can never fail"

ESCs and batteries should never overheat to failure if they were properly selected for the requirements of the model, adding extra sensors and code to handle a problem that shouldn't happen only adds extra elements that may fail on you.
AleG is offline Find More Posts by AleG
Old Aug 03, 2011, 02:01 PM
United Kingdom, England, Weston-super-Mare
Joined Jul 2010
478 Posts
I agree - poor selection of components, poor quality of components, poor assembly (particularly soldering), excessive vibration, laziness (pre-flight inspections), etc.
jes1111 is offline Find More Posts by jes1111
Old Aug 03, 2011, 02:06 PM
Solihull, England
Joined Jun 2004
961 Posts
The implication from these replies is that once you have overcome the bad soldering, poor software, bad wiring, unbalanced motor/props, etc. then you probably have a reliable system that will not require a diagnostic system.

Some 'copters (eg Arducopter) have a logging facility built in which often helps with diagnosis.

Peter
Peter Seddon is offline Find More Posts by Peter Seddon
Old Aug 03, 2011, 02:26 PM
United States, TX, Waxahachie
Joined Jun 2011
440 Posts
Being new to the forum I don't know how to set it up, but some type of voteing system should be here like:

main failures

1.pilot=
2.builder=
3.wireing=
4.esc=
5.vibration=
6.frame=
7.software=
8.other=

like I said I'm not good at this but it seems like somthing most people could understand and contribute to, any good Ideas everyone?

keep smilin
OLDTOM is offline Find More Posts by OLDTOM
Old Aug 03, 2011, 02:42 PM
United States, CA, San Jose
Joined Jul 2009
1,369 Posts
Actually the last six crashes I had weren't pilot error at all but either build or component failure. Here they are in order of occurance and the solution implemented.

1.Motor wire came loose - Now gently tug on all motor wires after each day of flying to ensure solid connection
2.Front motor came loose in flight - Used thread lock on motor mount screws
3.Left motor ESC failed - Repaced all ESC's with slightly higher current rated one's
4.Front motor failed in flight - Replaced all motors and now closely inspect windings after each day fo flying
5.Prop snapped in flight under virtually no stress - Could have been defective/Switched to stronger props
6.Prop came off in flight - Used thread lock on prop adapter threads
patricklupo is offline Find More Posts by patricklupo
Old Aug 03, 2011, 02:55 PM
AMA 754
Phoenix area
Joined Apr 2004
1,614 Posts
An add-on comment about ESC failures: Most ESCs fail NOT because of excess motor current, but because their built-in BEC circuit is overloaded. The BEC circuit is responsible for dropping (and regulating) the pack voltage down to what's acceptable for the receiver, FC, gyro, or whatever (normally about 5 V.). The higher the pack voltage, the harder the BEC has to work. Always best to use a separate (switching-type) BEC instead of the one(s) in the ESC(s) (linear type for most ESCs).
BobRCnut is offline Find More Posts by BobRCnut
Old Aug 03, 2011, 03:02 PM
United States, TX, Waxahachie
Joined Jun 2011
440 Posts
Ok, I'll tell on myself,

1. first setup tri: 1.5 lift to weight ratio, fast desent=crash
2. tri tail seup: wire flexing at motor for tilting motor= broken motor wire=crash
3. no locktite on motor set screw=motor turn=broken motor wire=crash
4. dumb thumbs=crash,repeat,repeat,repeat,etc.

OLDTOM is offline Find More Posts by OLDTOM
Old Aug 03, 2011, 03:13 PM
Hawaii
Joined Feb 2003
5,952 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by AleG View Post
Some years ago I read an article about the MiG-29 design, one of the engineers said something that is worth keeping in mind as designers/builders, it went something like:

"The best system on an aircraft is the one that it doesn't have, because it can never fail"

ESCs and batteries should never overheat to failure if they were properly selected for the requirements of the model, adding extra sensors and code to handle a problem that shouldn't happen only adds extra elements that may fail on you.
Yup. Extra sensors add weight, add more failure points.

The best is to keep things dead simple.
SeismicCWave is offline Find More Posts by SeismicCWave