HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
View Poll Results: Add Another Option: BMN (Bare Minimum Necessities)
no batteries, no charger, and no tx! $59.99(BMN) 725 86.00%
were just asking for too much 118 14.00%
Voters: 843. You may not vote on this poll

Old Jul 15, 2012, 12:37 AM
build, fly, crash, repeat ...
Oregon
Joined Jan 2004
1,923 Posts
I finally got my third flight in today, the wind was dead calm, not even so much as a breeze.

got the plane balanced out at exactly 31mm and all control surfaces are set square and true.

today the little T28 flew like it was on rails, very precision, it was perfect, wow, I think I just found my new favorite plane!!
Stuart Linfoot is offline Find More Posts by Stuart Linfoot
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 15, 2012, 01:03 AM
that's gonna leave a scar
United States, NC, Mooresville
Joined Aug 2007
3,475 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stuart Linfoot View Post
I finally got my third flight in today, the wind was dead calm, not even so much as a breeze.

got the plane balanced out at exactly 31mm and all control surfaces are set square and true.

today the little T28 flew like it was on rails, very precision, it was perfect, wow, I think I just found my new favorite plane!!
awesome...these are good fun !
KCinNC is offline Find More Posts by KCinNC
Old Jul 15, 2012, 10:35 AM
United States, CA, Mt Shasta
Joined Jun 2010
2,628 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidterrell80 View Post
Re cutting the motor loose... I was replacing the whole assembly but, if you just need down thrust, I'd try partially cutting the motor away, from the aft end and stick in 3/8-inch tips, cut from wooden toothpicks and coated with some RTF Silicone. I've been using the silicone to great effect, when installing the motors in several planes, powered by the same motors.
I was wondering about gluing it back. I'll check around for silicone glue. I know I have shoe goo, might be the same. What about hot glue sticks? Had a lot of luck with that on helicopter skids.
So the motor assembly is glued in with a rubbery type of glue like silicone? Good to know. Big scary new adventure, opening the fuse for the first time.
Thanks for the advice guys.
Mike
shastamike is offline Find More Posts by shastamike
Old Jul 15, 2012, 10:44 AM
Joined Jun 2010
2,628 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stuart Linfoot View Post

I can't wait to get mine set up correctly. I've been having troubles because of my plane not being assembled correctly. The flights that I have had on dead calm mornings have been just great with this plane though. I really enjoy "fly bys" where I can get a good look at the plane in flight.
Mike
Old Jul 15, 2012, 03:00 PM
UMs & parkflyers... for now.
United States, VA, Herndon
Joined Apr 2012
2,912 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by shastamike View Post
What about hot glue sticks?
Glue sticks are fine! I use the more rubbery stuff for motors, becase it gave me more time to tweak before it set.

I also use little bar magnets to hold things together, instead of tape. I cut one up into little squares and hot glued them in place.

It makes popping it open something i can easily do at the field.
davidterrell80 is offline Find More Posts by davidterrell80
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 15, 2012, 04:35 PM
Joined Jun 2010
2,628 Posts
Quote:
Glue sticks are fine! I use the more rubbery stuff for motors, becase it gave me more time to tweak before it set.

I also use little bar magnets to hold things together, instead of tape. I cut one up into little squares and hot glued them in place.

It makes popping it open something i can easily do at the field.
Wow...magnets. That would really make it easy to get into the fuse. Great idea.
I just performed my first fuse opening (wish I could find a good tech term for that). I needed to add more downward angle to my prop shaft. It went well, but whoever assembled my plane besides not setting the prop up correctly also used a ton of silicone glue. Horizon said "FPV Silicone by Devcon". Never did get the gear box cut all the way out. Got the front a bit loose and slid shims in to get more downward angle of prop shaft. Now if the wind would only die down I could test it out. I'll let all the T-28 guys know the results tomorrow hopefully.
Thanks for the tips.
Mike
I can't believe I posted that the Silicone was FPV. So many acronyms in this hobby. ARF,, BNF . It was RTV Silicone by Devcon.
Last edited by shastamike; Jul 16, 2012 at 06:30 PM. Reason: totally goofed this one up
Old Jul 15, 2012, 05:18 PM
REALJDMEK9
Miami, FL
Joined Oct 2005
149 Posts
Why is the Spektrum AR6400 Receiver/ESC been discontinued?
civichb98 is offline Find More Posts by civichb98
Old Jul 15, 2012, 07:19 PM
United States, SC, Irmo
Joined Sep 2011
4,622 Posts
Just flew my micro T-28 that I just bought on vacation. Little thing is a blast. It's my first low wing and pretty easy to fly. I think it's maybe my tenth or eleventh flight overall. I've been practicing on the sim, and have several helis, a 3 channel piper cub, and an AXN floater (powered glider). These micros are great because I can go to the park and fly them on a whim.
shahram72 is offline Find More Posts by shahram72
Old Jul 15, 2012, 09:03 PM
REALJDMEK9
Miami, FL
Joined Oct 2005
149 Posts
FPV Silicone by Devcon???

Quote:
Horizon said "FPV Silicone by Devcon".
I tried google for that Silicone and it doesn't come up. All I find is RTV by Devcon. Have you found out where they sell it?
Old Jul 15, 2012, 09:08 PM
REALJDMEK9
Miami, FL
Joined Oct 2005
149 Posts
Quote:
I use the more rubbery stuff for motors, becase it gave me more time to tweak before it set.

Which one do you use?
Old Jul 15, 2012, 09:37 PM
Joined Apr 2012
2,912 Posts
I used this DAP clear silicone last mod, as it was close to hand. It worked fine.
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 15, 2012, 10:14 PM
United States, PA, Butler
Joined Jun 2006
1,003 Posts
Quote:
I was wondering about gluing it back. I'll check around for silicone glue. I know I have shoe goo, might be the same. What about hot glue sticks? Had a lot of luck with that on helicopter skids.
So the motor assembly is glued in with a rubbery type of glue like silicone? Good to know. Big scary new adventure, opening the fuse for the first time.
Thanks for the advice guys.
Mike
If it's your first time opening it up, do yourself a favor and do the following....

First run a length of packaging tape wider than regular scotch tape along the seam of the fuse halves. After doing this, cut through the packing tape you just applied and the stock tape and decals. Afterwards when taping the fuse halves back up, you can use scotch tape along the seam and next time you need to open it up, you just peel off the scotch tape. Keeps the model cleaner as it won't be the last time you open it.

EDIT: I now read further and see magnets being mentioned. The fuse halves being taped together is all the strength the fuse has. It was recommended often in this thread not to modify and just use magnets because you lose all the strength.

Also while you are in there, you can cut and shape a few pieces of foam and glue some reinforcement in the bottom cavity of the nose. That is what gets the most damage when you nose into the earth. It crushes easily, though isn't really a bother to the way it flies since the motor is mounted in the top half of the fuse. My bottom half of the nose has been completely demolished and reglued back together very often, but I haven't had to do a thing to the top half where the motor/gearbox is mounted.
mrodgers is offline Find More Posts by mrodgers
Old Jul 15, 2012, 11:01 PM
Joined Apr 2012
2,912 Posts
I think where people may have not had good results with magnets holding the fuse together is in the placement. one needs to be at the real of the upper fuse half, with the pull resisting the thrust of the motor. If one just uses them to replace the tape, the magnets will be "in shear" to resist the thrust of the motor. As all of the flight loads are handled by the lower half, not much is needed to hold the half together. But the upper half handles the thrust load and you need to "pull the lower half along for the ride."

So I mounted a small square of magnet at the LE and TE of the wing and the corresponding point on the upper half... plus, a slightly larger pair at the aft end of the upper half and on the corresponding bulkhead just forward of the horizontal stab, to handle the thrust loads.

I've not had a problem. Other's mileage may vary and one can always remove them and replace the tape.
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 15, 2012, 11:15 PM
Power Wheels Guru
Southlake, TX
Joined Jan 2008
7,327 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by civichb98 View Post
Why is the Spektrum AR6400 Receiver/ESC been discontinued?
It has been replaced with the DSMX AR6410
UNGN is offline Find More Posts by UNGN
Old Jul 15, 2012, 11:30 PM
REALJDMEK9
Miami, FL
Joined Oct 2005
149 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by UNGN View Post
It has been replaced with the DSMX AR6410
What is the new improvement in this?