HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 02, 2012, 08:32 PM
Love my scale Whirlybirds
Mississauga, Ont., Can.
Joined Sep 2009
2,442 Posts
Glad I was able to steer you in the right direction.

I got the chance to go flying my AS350 this evening and there was no change in performance of my 720 from 3.12 to 3.15. My Jet Ranger will have to wait until tomorrow afternoon but I do not foresee any changes. What I am noticing is that like a full sized heli, I need to be careful about flying down through the rotor wash. Once this evening, my 350 made moves to fall down while performing a high angle slowdown so I need to keep my eyes open. This heli does have a lot of power and getting lift again was not problem but like anything else, if done too close to the ground, it can have dire consequences. Take care.

Don
Keyrigger is offline Find More Posts by Keyrigger
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 03, 2012, 06:03 AM
Aviation Technician
Joined Feb 2012
315 Posts
Quote:
Well guys, I'm going to have to eat crow and painfully admit that my issue was completely my fault.
I hate it when that happens.....
GetToDaChopper is offline Find More Posts by GetToDaChopper
Old Sep 03, 2012, 06:56 AM
Closed Account
Joined Dec 2007
6,549 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by gettodachopper View Post
i hate it when that happens.....
Amen!
Xrayted is offline Find More Posts by Xrayted
Old Sep 03, 2012, 09:32 AM
AMA# SIMAGES
Hudson Valley
Joined Dec 2006
2,330 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xrayted View Post
Amen!
Couldn't of happened to a more dedicated helicopter enthusiast......humility will always find it's place in this hobby...
simages is offline Find More Posts by simages
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 03, 2012, 09:55 AM
Closed Account
Joined Dec 2007
6,549 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by simages View Post
Couldn't of happened to a more dedicated helicopter enthusiast......humility will always find it's place in this hobby...
Thanks for the kind words! We all get taken down a notch from time to time I guess. It's one of those things that won't happens to me again! I will do something different stupid at some point I'm sure, but it won't be a reversed rudder.
Old Sep 03, 2012, 12:04 PM
Georgia, USA
Joined Jan 2008
3,767 Posts
Xrated

I have a little bit of an excuse for the examples my my wrong way tail adventures posted yesterday.
I have a touch of dyslexia. Not good for a guy that likes heli's

When learning to fly heli's I went from a HoneyBee fixed pitch to Swift 550 in 3 weeks. I knew no one that could fly an RC heli and I had not flown any of my planes in several years at the time(2007)

Bottom line for me is I really enjoy my heli's but will never be much of a heli pilot. I still really enjoy trying

Glad you sorted your problem .
jamesppp is offline Find More Posts by jamesppp
Old Sep 03, 2012, 01:32 PM
Closed Account
Joined Dec 2007
6,549 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesppp View Post
Xrated

I have a little bit of an excuse for the examples my my wrong way tail adventures posted yesterday.
I have a touch of dyslexia. Not good for a guy that likes heli's

When learning to fly heli's I went from a HoneyBee fixed pitch to Swift 550 in 3 weeks. I knew no one that could fly an RC heli and I had not flown any of my planes in several years at the time(2007)

Bottom line for me is I really enjoy my heli's but will never be much of a heli pilot. I still really enjoy trying

Glad you sorted your problem .
Wow, HB to Swift in less than a month of course if you cold even reasonably fly that HB, the Swift should have felt like a Cadillac!

I'm self taught as well and don't fly at any particular club. I started my single rotor training with the original Walkera 4#3 and wouldn't give up until I got it down. Could have built a Swift 550 for what it cost in me in pain and parts learning to fly it!
Old Sep 03, 2012, 02:12 PM
Professional heli wrecker
United States, WA, Spokane
Joined Oct 2010
4,240 Posts
Quote:
Well guys, I'm going to have to eat crow and painfully admit that my issue was completely my fault.

Don was correct in the tail compensating the wrong direction, and for some reason I had missed it during the setup and several times checking after the small incident.

I was checking my setup over and over trying to figure out what was wrong and during what seemed to be the tenth time, I was checking my rudder stick movements with the tail blades. Right rudder...leading edge of tail blades point right, Left rudder...they point left so all is good.........wait a minute!!! I stood there in disbelief that I had missed this so many times, especially as many helis as I have built and set up.

My brain was just locked into the fact that the leading edge was moving the direction I was moving the sticks, despite the fact that this would give opposite nose travel and have the rudder reversed.

BTW, James Ive had that twisted belt issue before, and that will wake you up in a hurry when the heli leaves the ground!

Thanks for the feedback and suggestions guys. I'm going to go tuck my tail between my legs, repair my heli and pretend this never happened.
Yikes! You mean I am not the only one that has done this? As well as going out after changing all my settings to 3D only to realize after spoolup I had my gyro reversed on cyclic? Or, the worst of them all. On pain meds mind you. I put one of my blades on backwards in a hurry to hit the field.

And James, I too hate the gain settings on the Dx7. I had no idea the 8 cleared that ugly mess up. Hmmmm. Other than using Soko's SL guide using the 8, I now have a real reason to look at one of these. Plus I did the backlight screen lighting mod on my Dx7 and hate it. I can barely see the lcd figures now.
Luvmyhelis is offline Find More Posts by Luvmyhelis
Old Sep 03, 2012, 06:28 PM
Closed Account
Joined Dec 2007
6,549 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luvmyhelis View Post
Yikes! You mean I am not the only one that has done this? As well as going out after changing all my settings to 3D only to realize after spoolup I had my gyro reversed on cyclic? Or, the worst of them all. On pain meds mind you. I put one of my blades on backwards in a hurry to hit the field.

And James, I too hate the gain settings on the Dx7. I had no idea the 8 cleared that ugly mess up. Hmmmm. Other than using Soko's SL guide using the 8, I now have a real reason to look at one of these. Plus I did the backlight screen lighting mod on my Dx7 and hate it. I can barely see the lcd figures now.
Its good to know I'm not the only one that has made such a simple, rookie mistake. I guess it could have been a lot worse. This was the re kit after completely destroying my Pro on maiden. A least it spun and rolled over before getting airborne and the damage was minimal. If I had popped it up in the air It would have been much, much worse, so I consider myself lucky. I was just so disappointed because I didn't have any spare gears and it cost me the entire Holiday weekend of flying. Like I said.....it won't happen again.

Yes, I love my DX8 and the gain values actually make sense! Zero is actually null rather than 50% and anything negative is rate and anything positive is HH, just like it should be
Old Sep 04, 2012, 12:47 AM
Aviation Technician
Joined Feb 2012
315 Posts
Oh man don't get me started with those fricking Walkeras ! so much money down the tube !!!
Old Sep 04, 2012, 12:36 PM
United States, MN
Joined Feb 2011
4,368 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by GetToDaChopper View Post
Oh man don't get me started with those fricking Walkeras ! so much money down the tube !!!
I can say the same about Blade. Never buying another one ever! Giant piece of
grimbeaver is offline Find More Posts by grimbeaver
Old Sep 04, 2012, 04:27 PM
RCHN #150
Lawrenceville, GA
Joined Nov 2007
5,996 Posts
Quote:
Wow, HB to Swift in less than a month of course if you cold even reasonably fly that HB, the Swift should have felt like a Cadillac!

I'm self taught as well and don't fly at any particular club. I started my single rotor training with the original Walkera 4#3 and wouldn't give up until I got it down. Could have built a Swift 550 for what it cost in me in pain and parts learning to fly it!
I loved my HB.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=859192

Rick
Rickn816 is offline Find More Posts by Rickn816
Old Sep 04, 2012, 05:41 PM
Closed Account
Joined Dec 2007
6,549 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rickn816 View Post
That's a really cool conversion Rick!
Look how far we have come in four years. Just dropping the FB was on the edge technology, and the cost of a multi axis gyro was like what we see with GPS technology today
Old Sep 04, 2012, 06:22 PM
Aviation Technician
Joined Feb 2012
315 Posts
that's a great point, just think where GPS and gyro tech will be in four years !!!

or better yet in 2020 !!!!!
Old Sep 04, 2012, 10:15 PM
Joined Dec 2011
3,194 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by grimbeaver View Post
I got less vibration switching to TT. Then again my belt tail was clone and that was probably part of my problem.
Tarot integrated belt drive tail (the 2 piece one that goes together with 2 screws) produces much less vibes than the Align style belt tail. No idea why this is it's just there. A nice side effect is that you don't need to flip the grips anymore either because they changed the geometry of the arm that holds the bell crank to give equal pitch in both directions.
Atomic Skull is offline Find More Posts by Atomic Skull