HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 27, 2012, 11:32 AM
Martin
USA, CA, Piedmont
Joined May 2005
314 Posts
sandable filler

Easy of sanding and light weight are a great but the real test is how well these fillers take paint. Do they need a primer coat and lots of sanding with 600+ grit wet paper to not show through on the finish coat?
Mart
mrfski is offline Find More Posts by mrfski
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 27, 2012, 11:40 AM
Sloping the Financial Cliff
USA, CA, Santee
Joined Oct 2007
2,471 Posts
Those fillers are made for cars and they take paint well. I always use the filler primer, sand and then paint.
fcbflyer is offline Find More Posts by fcbflyer
Old Sep 27, 2012, 12:37 PM
Silent Flight
United States, CA, Cypress
Joined Jul 2005
3,951 Posts
Still haven't had a chance to drop by the place in Long Beach, but will try when I can.

Target you mentioned West Sytems and 410. Only knowing that one is a resin and the other a filler, I'm wondering if what I have is at all comparable.

I have US Composites 635 thin epoxy resin and some topflite microballons. Is this at all similar and applicable for small dents and surface inconsistencies?

-Jonathan
Twyl is offline Find More Posts by Twyl
Old Sep 27, 2012, 12:58 PM
Sloping the Financial Cliff
USA, CA, Santee
Joined Oct 2007
2,471 Posts
401 looks like it's wood sanding dust.
I would not use micro balloons.

Make sure all the wood is covered with either epoxy and glass or a filler. Otherwise you'll have a painting nightmare.
fcbflyer is offline Find More Posts by fcbflyer
Old Sep 27, 2012, 04:40 PM
Detail Freak
Harbor City, CA
Joined Oct 2003
21,873 Posts
Jonathan one of the keys if you are using epoxy and a filler additive is to make the mixture pretty stiff.
You want a consistancy of whipped cream, or peanut butter.
Otherwise, you will be trying to sand a lot of epoxy, not a lot of filler.....

Try what you have on a test batch and see.

R,
Target
target is offline Find More Posts by target
Old Sep 27, 2012, 07:19 PM
United States, HI, Pearl City
Joined Aug 2006
315 Posts
Been using Icing for a while now and it seems to work really well. It is a little thicker in consistency then I like, but it drys fast and is somewhat easy to sand.

I started using Dolphin Glaze as a final fill over the Icing and it seems to be better than the Icing. It is way less as thick as the Icing and drys just as fast. It feathers a bit better than the Icing, but still not perfect. I just bought a new tube of Icing or I would have bought some more Dolphin Glaze. I might try the Superfill for the finish coat on the next project to see how it feathers out.

Scotty
wsmorton is offline Find More Posts by wsmorton
Old Sep 27, 2012, 07:33 PM
Flying = Falling (Slowly)
Tulsa, OK
Joined May 2004
2,708 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by wsmorton View Post
Been using Icing for a while now and it seems to work really well. It is a little thicker in consistency then I like, but it drys fast and is somewhat easy to sand.

I started using Dolphin Glaze as a final fill over the Icing and it seems to be better than the Icing. It is way less as thick as the Icing and drys just as fast. It feathers a bit better than the Icing, but still not perfect. I just bought a new tube of Icing or I would have bought some more Dolphin Glaze. I might try the Superfill for the finish coat on the next project to see how it feathers out.

Scotty
Actually, Superfill makes a very good one-shot filler. It has to set overnight, but it can be applied thick or thin (even very thick) it can be easily sanded with perfect feather edges, good bonding and excellent compatibility with paints. It is very light blue, and if properly mixed, will not be porous and cause problems with bubbles or anything else showing through paint.

Happy Landings,

Don
dharban is online now Find More Posts by dharban
Old Oct 01, 2012, 01:07 PM
Silent Flight
United States, CA, Cypress
Joined Jul 2005
3,951 Posts
Well I used my Frankenspeedo project as a test guinea pig for my first mix of resin/microballoons. I'm glad I did as the mixture I made was probably not thick enough. I got it to a whipped cream like texture but when left to set it would droop/creep a bit and so next time I will aim for peanut butter like thickness. I still plan on picking up some split second when I get a chance, but so far I haven't been able to make it to the shop in LB or find one slightly more local that had it. (maybe I should just purchase online )

-Jonathan
Twyl is offline Find More Posts by Twyl
Old Oct 01, 2012, 06:06 PM
Hamilton, CANADA
Joined Sep 2009
340 Posts
Jonathan:
".. I got it to a whipped cream like texture but when left to set it would droop/creep a bit and so next time I will aim for peanut butter like thickness."

..Thanks for the thread..it gives me some ideas to try.

I've had some recent success with "Cabosil"... a thickening agent.. which when mixed with epoxy in the 'peanut butter' consistency will let the mix stick to a vertical wall without moving or running. It smooths very nicely with a slanted razor blade edge, used like a wiper, ..which gives minimum sanding effort due to very fine feathering.. but as mentioned above.. you are sanding more epoxy. Perhaps a micro-balloons or other filler included in the mix would make the final edging better.

The "dolphin glaze" finish on Scotty's 5th pic looks just like a perfect fix..

Dunno if this will help.. just what I have experienced

Ray
Upvector is offline Find More Posts by Upvector
Old Oct 02, 2012, 09:35 AM
United States, CA, San Diego
Joined Feb 2006
257 Posts
fillers

superfil works great +
3M lightweight filler [05800]
alvaro corzo is offline Find More Posts by alvaro corzo
Last edited by alvaro corzo; Oct 02, 2012 at 09:44 AM.
Old Oct 02, 2012, 09:37 PM
Red Merle ALES
United States, Mt, Helena
Joined Apr 2002
5,799 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by alvaro corzo View Post
superfil works great +
3M lightweight filler [05800]
Does the 3m [05800] have a bad odor or real messy? I have used Bondo and what a mess that was to use and really smelled bad.

I am planning on purchasing one of the two you've suggested. Still deciding.

Thanks
Curtis
Curtis Suter is online now Find More Posts by Curtis Suter
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 03, 2012, 04:26 PM
Joined Feb 2006
257 Posts
just add

some "Old Spice" to it and enjoy the ride )

Quote:
Originally Posted by CloudyIFR View Post
Does the 3m [05800] have a bad odor or real messy? I have used Bondo and what a mess that was to use and really smelled bad.

I am planning on purchasing one of the two you've suggested. Still deciding.

Thanks
Curtis
Old Oct 03, 2012, 07:03 PM
Mark LSF # 3792
United States, TX, Garland
Joined Nov 2008
701 Posts
How does the 3M 05800 compare to the 3M 05980 Acryl-Green Spot Putty? I have a huge tube of it, seems a heavy in the tube. But if used sparingly it may not matter.
Soarmark is offline Find More Posts by Soarmark
Old Oct 03, 2012, 11:40 PM
Joined Feb 2006
257 Posts

Works on pin size holes...the essence of the matter is selecting two or three compounds intended for different applications and knowing when to use them.
But more important is learning well what each product does the best job for you in the shortest lapse of time. BTW 320 grit is as fine as you need to go for primer and final, any finer you risk poor adhesion of subsequent coatings.

Experiment and learn.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soarmark View Post
How does the 3M 05800 compare to the 3M 05980 Acryl-Green Spot Putty? I have a huge tube of it, seems a heavy in the tube. But if used sparingly it may not matter.
Old Oct 03, 2012, 11:53 PM
Detail Freak
Harbor City, CA
Joined Oct 2003
21,873 Posts
So, Alvaro-
What do you use the Superfil for and what do you use the 3M lightweight filler for?

I'm imagining the 3M first, then the Superfil, then the spot putty last?

R,
Target
target is offline Find More Posts by target