SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Jan 16, 2015, 09:12 AM
Joined Jan 2015
1 Posts
Help!
How to wire a Syma X5C camera to a separate battery?

Hello, all. First time poster here.

A few days ago I got my first quadcopter, a Syma X5C-1. So far I have not been flying it outdoors due to gale force winds, but I am looking forward to the opportunity once it arrives.

I bought it for three reasons: Fun, more fun, and the camera. I know that the camera is nothing special, but the quad itself flies beautifully, and the video will be fun to watch, regardless.

However, the flight time is abysmal when shooting video as the camera draws its power from the single on-board battery. I tried to hover/gently fly around in the living room with a freshly charged battery, and the battery died almost exactly after 3 minutes of flight. That gives, with some sort of margin for safety when flying outdoors, about 2.5 minutes of flight time if shooting continuously.

2.5 minutes...

Yes, I know lots of folks strap on an 808 #16, but to be honest I do not feel like "investing" in one of those if possible. I already got the stock camera, it must be possible to hook it up to a second, separate battery?

So now I am asking; does anyone know how to hack the X5C-camera so that it draws its power from a separate battery? I strongly believe that the flight time would improve drastically even if the quad have to lift an additional load in the form of an extra battery.

It can't be that hard? The camera has three wires, one is positive, one is negative, and one is... well, how do I fare with the last one?

Cheers!
Burrows is offline Find More Posts by Burrows
to remove ads between posts