HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 23, 2014, 09:11 PM
Joined Jul 2014
10 Posts
Discussion
Need a new project

I'm looking to start a new model. I'm thinking of the three masted topsail schooner Atlantic. Does any body know of kits that might be available or if not then scale plans of a 45" to 60" model.
Any help would be appreciated
Yachtflame@yahoo.com
Catamaranvictoria.com
340-998-5199.
Wayne
yachtflame is offline Find More Posts by yachtflame
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 24, 2014, 02:14 PM
Big Boats Rule!
Wisconsin
Joined Jun 2007
2,070 Posts
I have an old EC-12 hull (60") that I was going to build as a stand-off Atlantic. Cool subject, with lots of history. Let me know if you find any plans. I have not looked for any yet, as I have lots of projects lined up before that one. I did buy the plastic kit a while back.

Dave
boater_dave is offline Find More Posts by boater_dave
Old Nov 25, 2014, 03:47 PM
Joined Oct 2004
104 Posts
Bluejacket Shipcrafters has a plan of Atlantic. Here are some line drawings, I'm not sure where they came from but I remember that Milton Thrasher produced a set of laser cut frames and keel for the Atlantic.
Bill Zebb is offline Find More Posts by Bill Zebb
Old Nov 26, 2014, 08:12 AM
Joined Jul 2014
10 Posts
Thanks guys for the input. Dave, are you going to use that hull or can I persuade you to part with it? If not, where did you get it. I do a lot of fiberglassing and would find it fun to make a glass hull but finding one already built would get me in the water quicker!
Let me know.
Wayne
Yachtflame@yahoo.com
340-998-5199
Old Nov 26, 2014, 02:17 PM
Big Boats Rule!
Wisconsin
Joined Jun 2007
2,070 Posts
Unless you plan on visiting the Midwest sometime soon, I would think the cost of shipping would be too much. Anyway, I'm not planning on parting with either of my hulls. I want to build Atlantic, and a generic fishing schooner. I just like the size of these boats.
I got one of my boats from a fellow club guy who didn't know much about sailboats. It was pretty rough. The other I thought was a local attempt to splash an existing hull. Also a bit rough and unstarted, but a good candidate for conversion.
Have you tried the EC-12 class web page? Local fleet? Perhaps they have a lead on a wrecked boat that is no longer suitable for racing and available on the cheap. The Dumas Heritage 12 shows up on ebay every now and then.

Dave
Last edited by boater_dave; Nov 26, 2014 at 02:24 PM. Reason: added last paragraph
Old Nov 26, 2014, 11:15 PM
Joined Jul 2014
10 Posts
I'm still casting about for a large (55" to 65") hull that can be made into a replica of the schooner Atlantic. If any one sees or hears of a suitable hull, please pass on the info. As suggested, a damaged hull will certainly be considered. I want to end up with a full keeled hull but I have a lot of experience with fiberglass and can repair, lengthen a keel or modify most any glass hull to fit my needs. I've tried to find a Dumas EC-12m hull and a large Bluenose hull but am not finding anything as yet.
I live on a boat and have to suck wifi from where ever I can so it takes me longer to search the web for things. Any help in this area would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks for any help.
Wayne
Catamaranvictoria@yahoo.com
340-998-5199
Old Nov 27, 2014, 03:31 AM
Big Boats Rule!
Wisconsin
Joined Jun 2007
2,070 Posts
How about a bit bigger? I have considered selling my extra Vanguard J hull. There was one other person who was interested, however. It's the orange and gray hull in the middle. They are just over 7', as I recall and represent Whilwind. But shipping it will be the problem.

Dave
Old Nov 27, 2014, 07:34 AM
Joined Jul 2014
10 Posts
Dave,
Where are you located? Any more info on the hull?
Old Dec 31, 2014, 12:10 AM
rshousha
Canada, QC, Mount Royal
Joined Nov 2013
12 Posts
Greetings,

I can cut the frames for you. I have the designs from Milton Thrasher now.

Best Regards,

Rick Shousha
Montreal
rshousha is offline Find More Posts by rshousha