HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Aug 30, 2006, 08:21 AM
Joined Aug 2006
1 Posts
Help!
starting schluter super heli-baby

bought the heli-baby mostly assembled, needs some work, has a belt between the fan and the clutch for starting, i presume, anyone know the starting procedure and the type of device needed to start the engine?
vero is offline Find More Posts by vero
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 30, 2006, 09:56 AM
Mulit-Platform Pilot
United States, FL, Jacksonville
Joined Sep 2004
3,200 Posts
Some aircraft starters with the metal cups have a groove on the outside of the starter cone, you put the belt in the groove and pull outward to tension it then fire her up.

Dont crash, parts on that thing are scarce at best.
barracudahockey is online now Find More Posts by barracudahockey
Old Sep 06, 2006, 09:12 PM
Team Compass/KBDD Team Pilot
Joined Mar 2005
3,335 Posts
You might make a hook to hold the belt from getting caught in the flywheel/fan once the motor is running. It gets fairly nasty when the belt jams the motor in flight (I have seen it happen).

Put the throttle stick all the way down (throttle trim should allow the carb to be just a hair open. Connect the glow plug to the power source. Get the starter handy and make sure that the Tx can be easily reached. Connect the fuel line to the carb or unclip it if you have the fuel flow stopped that way (if you connect the fuel line first, it will run into the carb and flood the engine). Put the belt around the starter and the pulley on the fan. Grip the main rotor head and hold the starter so that the belt is tight enough to crank the motor.

If all is set up properly, it will start. If not, you will know the joy of messing with needle and idle valves.

We used to have one person hold the machine over our heads while the other one operated the transmitter and tuned the high and low needles.

That seems quite unsafe now. Hopefully someone else will chime in.

I never had the collective version of the Heli-Baby, but I did have the regular one with both the stock head and, later on, the S-Head. Enjoy it, they fly well.
Ah Clem is offline Find More Posts by Ah Clem