Old Dec 22, 2005, 09:28 PM
Watch This !!!
Rochester, MI
Joined Apr 2003
1,032 Posts
Trader Rating: 23
Discussion
Post Office Confirmation Numbers

Has anybody had any success in actually finding something out about a priority mail shipment using their so called "tracking number".

All I ever get is "please try again later"

Ed
edkoz is offline Find More Posts by edkoz
Last edited by edkoz; Jan 08, 2006 at 01:49 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 22, 2005, 09:35 PM
In Massive Debt
Northampton Massachussetts
Joined Jun 2005
2,001 Posts
Trader Rating: 4
If you get the delivery confirmation number then yes. It usually take a while for it to get put into the system, so it wont work until like 24 hours after youve mailed your package.
blizzardwarrior7 is offline Find More Posts by blizzardwarrior7
Old Dec 22, 2005, 09:52 PM
Watch This !!!
Rochester, MI
Joined Apr 2003
1,032 Posts
I just downloaded my history for the last 30 days and put each tracking number in to see what happened.

"IF" the package has been DELIVERED it shows that. There is no in transit information. Until the package is actually delivered all it says is that the label has been printed and that there is no guarantee that it has actually been mailed.
Old Dec 22, 2005, 10:10 PM
"I passed on the kool-aid"
Waco, TX
Joined Jan 2004
3,884 Posts
Trader Rating: 148
Postal Service tracking seems to be next to worthless. I have inquired about it a few times when mailing something and the clerks usually tend to avoid my questions or change the subject.
papasmurf is offline Find More Posts by papasmurf
Old Dec 22, 2005, 10:59 PM
Suspended Account
Utica Il.
Joined Dec 2002
4,222 Posts
Trader Rating: 554
If you pay for "Delivery Confirmation" at the post office it gets entered into the system as delivered to the postal service and again will confirm after delivery to the recipient.
If you do it on line all you get is when and if it is delivered.

Remember it is "Delivery Confirmation" not Tracking.

Randy
termite is offline Find More Posts by termite
Old Dec 23, 2005, 10:18 PM
Watch This !!!
Rochester, MI
Joined Apr 2003
1,032 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by termite
If you pay for "Delivery Confirmation" at the post office it gets entered into the system as delivered to the postal service and again will confirm after delivery to the recipient.
If you do it on line all you get is when and if it is delivered.

Remember it is "Delivery Confirmation" not Tracking.

Randy
That's my complaint. I don't care about the tracking, I Just want acknowledgement that the post office has received it so I at least know it's somewhere between points a and b.
Last edited by edkoz; Jan 02, 2006 at 11:47 AM.
Old Jan 01, 2006, 11:35 PM
Joined Sep 2002
2,098 Posts
Trader Rating: 51
The USPS is slow in entering updates on Delivery Confirm... but I get it as a seller, so that a dishonest buyer can't say they didn't recieve the item. I have never had a package that didn't show up as delivered on a date and time - within a day of delivery.

That's really all I want for 45 cents as a seller.

SG
sierra-gold is offline Find More Posts by sierra-gold
Old Jan 02, 2006, 12:45 AM
United States, FL, Apopka
Joined Mar 2002
1,674 Posts
Trader Rating: 63
Quote:
Originally Posted by edkoz
Has anybody had any success in actually finding something out about a priority mail shipment using their so called "tracking number".
It's called "Delivery Confirmation", it's not a tracking system at all! All they do is confirm that the package was delivered.
WreckRman2 is offline Find More Posts by WreckRman2
Old Jan 02, 2006, 11:47 AM
Watch This !!!
Rochester, MI
Joined Apr 2003
1,032 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by WreckRman2
It's called "Delivery Confirmation", it's not a tracking system at all! All they do is confirm that the package was delivered.

See Post #6
Old Jan 02, 2006, 12:42 PM
And You're Not
Timbuktu, Mali (Happy?)
Joined Oct 2002
6,514 Posts
Trader Rating: 102
I have a pile here of over 100 Delivery Confirmation stubs (closer to 200), I was able to go online and see the delivery status of each one. I go to the PO to do my mailings and the clerk scans the Delivery Confirmation info and it's entered into the computer system right then. It sometimes takes a few hours before the info is accessible online, but it's always there..
Jeffery is offline Find More Posts by Jeffery
Old Jan 02, 2006, 06:09 PM
Watch This !!!
Rochester, MI
Joined Apr 2003
1,032 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeffery
I have a pile here of over 100 Delivery Confirmation stubs (closer to 200), I was able to go online and see the delivery status of each one. I go to the PO to do my mailings and the clerk scans the Delivery Confirmation info and it's entered into the computer system right then. It sometimes takes a few hours before the info is accessible online, but it's always there..

I have neither the time or inclination to wait in line at the post office to hand them something I've already printed with postage (normally 3.85) so I can be assured they will scan it in. I leave it in my mail box and the carrier picks it up. Why can't they scan it in when he returns to the post office? It would be nice to know that is at least IN their system.

One of the purposes of printing on line postage is supposed to be to eliminate people waiting in line at the post office.
Old Jan 02, 2006, 06:58 PM
Joined Sep 2002
2,098 Posts
Trader Rating: 51
You are right! It's wonderful to be so right, but it's lonely at the top.

SG
sierra-gold is offline Find More Posts by sierra-gold
Old Jan 02, 2006, 07:31 PM
Watch This !!!
Rochester, MI
Joined Apr 2003
1,032 Posts
I know.
Old Jan 07, 2006, 10:24 PM
And You're Not
Timbuktu, Mali (Happy?)
Joined Oct 2002
6,514 Posts
Trader Rating: 102
Quote:
I have neither the time or inclination to wait in line at the post office to hand them something I've already printed with postage (normally 3.85) so I can be assured they will scan it in. I leave it in my mail box and the carrier picks it up. Why can't they scan it in when he returns to the post office? It would be nice to know that is at least IN their system.

One of the purposes of printing on line postage is supposed to be to eliminate people waiting in line at the post office.
Well, I ain't the one griping.
Jeffery is offline Find More Posts by Jeffery
Old Jan 07, 2006, 10:29 PM
Long Island, NY
Joined Dec 2004
373 Posts
Trader Rating: 72
Quote:

I watch the PO employees scan the items with my own two eyes, then check online that night, a day later and even two days later.... and the item is never shown as being shipped! However when the item has been delivered it always shows up on the computer, so that's all I need to know: Delivery CONFIRMATION.
don_craig is offline Find More Posts by don_craig
Closed Thread