HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 06, 2014, 02:50 PM
Joined Aug 2013
137 Posts
Discussion
most efficient brushed rc boat motor

Hi guys
what type of brushed motor is the most efficient?
Im trying to get the longest run time on a scale boat
Using a nihm battery

the longest run I can think of is like the set up on my bristol bay
2 hours with a 5000nihm battery?

Please dont say brushless

thanx
hardrive is online now Find More Posts by hardrive
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 06, 2014, 03:12 PM
"MAYONNAISE"
Le Treport, France
Joined Jun 2004
1,403 Posts
simple ...

you just have a look to the efficiency curves for your motor, and try to run it as close as possible to the best values ( ... )
that mean choosing carefully your propeller(s) pitch and diameter ... and even use variable pitch ones !!!

Brushless or not: same tweaking !!!

Alain
Acetronics is offline Find More Posts by Acetronics
Old Sep 07, 2014, 07:28 PM
Joined Nov 2007
891 Posts
As Acetronics said, you have to run at the peak of the efficiency curve. Here is a typical spec sheet:

http://www.jameco.com/Jameco/Products/ProdDS/232022.pdf

Note that the efficiency curve has a narrow peak and you have to hit the best RPM very close. Brushless motors also have a narrow peak.
mjsas is offline Find More Posts by mjsas
Old Sep 08, 2014, 04:47 PM
We want... Information!
Hastings, New Zealand
Joined Jan 2001
5,182 Posts
Don't over-power the model. Use a small motor with gearbox (3~4:1 ratio) and run the largest prop you can. The prop should have low pitch and large blade area to maximize thrust. Use an ESC with high rate PWM (3KHz+). Make sure that your running gear operates smoothly (couplers lined up, bearings well greased etc.).

People often use a large, low Kv (high voltage) motor direct drive, but this is an inefficient setup because at low speed the motor wastes a lot of power just turning itself over, and at high speed the motor's high armature resistance also wastes power.

Here's a freighter that I set up for a friend. He put three 12V 7Ah SLA batteries in it just for ballast, but it runs for hours on a single 6V 3Ah battery. The power system is a Speed 280 6V geared 4:1, driving a 50mm 4 blade brass prop. It achieves scale speed at 1/2 throttle.
Bruce Abbott is offline Find More Posts by Bruce Abbott
Old Sep 12, 2014, 02:39 AM
Joined Aug 2013
137 Posts
Thanx guys for replying

Bruce do you think maybe you could help me on a good motor set up for this historic boat

thanx
Old Sep 12, 2014, 02:40 AM
Joined Aug 2013
137 Posts
43 inchess in length
And 5 inches wide
For the hull