SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Aug 10, 2014, 06:01 AM
I like real wooden aeroplanes!
South-west France
Joined Sep 2007
4,636 Posts
Contest
AMPLAN Build Off

Thanks for those who have expressed interest in another Build Off, it would appear that there is sufficient interest to justify setting this up. So, here are the “rules”, such as they are

Duration of build off; 1st September 2014 to 31st March 2015 (seven months)

Model built from any plan which appeared in any “professional” USA published magazine (i.e. NOT club and society newsletters) before 31/12/1965. By plan I mean a full size feature plan, a plan shown in reduced size and subsequently sold full size by the magazine OR a detailed structural three view for which no full size plans were offered. OR a model which was released as a kit by a USA based manufacturer before 31/12/1965

The model may be original size OR scaled up or down.

The model may be powered by the original method or by any alternative – e.g. rubber or IC power converted to electric, IC power converted to rubber, glider to electric power etc.

The model may be flown as originally designed or converted to another flying method – e.g. F/F or C/L to radio, radio to F/F or C/L etc.

In order to qualify for the poll at the end of the build off the model must be completed, but not necessarily flown. As a minimum a photo and description of the finished model must be posted on the Build Off thread, but if possible a Build Log thread for the model is much preferred, please try and do one if at all possible, they are a source of great interest for many people, not just those taking part, and a good source of building tips and problem solutions.

As before I will keep the first post of the thread up to date with entries, progress and build log links.

When you have decided to enter a model, please post the details on this thread, if there is to be a build log please also post the link to that here too, particularly if it is to be in another forum - free flight or scale for example - once you start it, I will pick up and list any started on this forum, but can't look at all the other forums. If you title the build log thread "(Model) - AMPLAN Build Off September 2014 to March 2015" that would be a help. If you have any doubts about the eligibility of a particular model, just ask for a ruling. Entries made in other build-offs (e.g. BBCC in the Balsa Builders Forum) which meet the qualifying criteria and will not be started until September 1st, may also be entered here, just post the details in this thread as above so I can pick them up.

There are a couple of weeks now to make a choice and get a plan sorted out, but wood cutting shouldn't start until September 1st. Entries may be made at any time during the seven months.

cpmcgraw has already made his choice (and an ambitious one it is!), so has the honour of leading off the entry list:

cpmcgraw - Champion (Shereshaw) - Build log at http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2222978
Sundancer - Airknocker (Winter) - http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...9#post29155623
georgy - Lucky 13 (Ward) - Build Log at http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2223856
JeffMac - Powerhouse 33 (Korda)- http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2224255
Paul_BB - Lucky 13 (Ward) - Build log at http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2224524
brokenspar - Classy Gassy (Musciano) - Build log at http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2225024
RFJ - Smog Hog (Bonner) (75%) - Build log at http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2226462
Raymond-leflyr - Starduster 42 (Taibi)
P_J_Glor - Mercury (Shereshaw)
John38 - Sailpalne (Goldberg)
Owlsabie - Air Youth Glider No.3 (Air Trails) - Build log at http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2229705
HarryD - Gull II (300%) (Comet)
HarryD - Starduster (Gilliam/Hunter)
JohnAV8R - Dakota (Wagner)
cd_webb - Cruiser (Hollinger)
Raf_Bob - Jimmy Allen Skokie(+40%)
JMP-blackfoot - Gimlet (Kraft)
Sundancer is online now Find More Posts by Sundancer
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by Sundancer; Sep 13, 2014 at 04:53 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 10, 2014, 06:37 AM
Allways the hard way!
South Africa, GP, Germiston
Joined Jan 2012
423 Posts
I would like to join in with Lucky-13. Intentions is to scale it up a bit, and use a nitro to diesel convertion (if i can make it work as i have not been able to find info of a convertion of the suitability of an ENYA 09)

I will fill in the details from my work PC as i find it rather difficult from my Tablet to insert pics & links.

Regards
George
georgy is offline Find More Posts by georgy
Old Aug 10, 2014, 06:55 AM
South-west France
Joined Sep 2007
4,636 Posts
OK George, you are on the list. If you can't sort out a diesel conversion for your .09, you could always pick up a nice PAW 1.5cc either new or from Fleabay. Or (dare I say it?) go electric
RCG Plus Member
Old Aug 10, 2014, 04:20 PM
I'd rather be flying.....
United States, IA, Story City
Joined Oct 2013
371 Posts
AMPLAN Powerhouse 33 build

Hi Sundancer -

I would like to join with the Berkeley Dick Korda Powerhouse 33". It will be electric RC perhaps scaled to 40" or original size.

Thanks,

Best Regards,

Jeff
JeffMac is offline Find More Posts by JeffMac
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by JeffMac; Aug 10, 2014 at 04:22 PM. Reason: addtl
Old Aug 10, 2014, 08:35 PM
Experienced Balsa Mangler
United States, AL, Tillmans Corner
Joined Oct 2012
665 Posts
Sundancer, unless you want us to build time machines, you might want to revise the title string in the first post...
cpmcgraw is online now Find More Posts by cpmcgraw
Old Aug 11, 2014, 01:26 AM
South-west France
Joined Sep 2007
4,636 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpmcgraw View Post
Sundancer, unless you want us to build time machines, you might want to revise the title string in the first post...
Ooops. Thanks cp - pleased to see that someone takes the trouble to read all this guff I write!!
RCG Plus Member
Old Aug 11, 2014, 01:29 AM
South-west France
Joined Sep 2007
4,636 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffMac View Post
Hi Sundancer -

I would like to join with the Berkeley Dick Korda Powerhouse 33". It will be electric RC perhaps scaled to 40" or original size.

Thanks,

Best Regards,

Jeff
Hi Jeff

Entry noted. The Powerhouse is very attractive and I look forward to seeing your version.
RCG Plus Member
Old Aug 12, 2014, 09:16 AM
Lookin' up at the centerline
Lawrenceville, Georgia
Joined Feb 2005
2,306 Posts
I'll be watching with interest, but not entering this time.
I have plans to do a Quaker from a Penn Valley kit, but at the moment I'm collecting the "stuff" to do a build thread in the "Giant scale aircraft" forum in about a month.
It'll be a Precedent kit of the 1/4 scale Stampe, ya'll drop by if you get a chance.

Nick

PS. I looked and looked but didn't see it featured before '65
taildragger1589 is online now Find More Posts by taildragger1589
RCG Plus Member
Old Aug 13, 2014, 01:25 AM
South-west France
Joined Sep 2007
4,636 Posts
Sorry you are too tied up to participate Nick. With six entries aready and still ver two weeks to the start date the portents are good!
RCG Plus Member
Old Aug 14, 2014, 01:09 AM
Valencia, CA
Joined Oct 2002
3,634 Posts
What about a Shereshaw Mercury, a design that is clearly within the time frame, but from a kit which may have been after 1965?

Pete G
P_J_Glor is offline Find More Posts by P_J_Glor
Old Aug 14, 2014, 03:22 AM
South-west France
Joined Sep 2007
4,636 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by P_J_Glor View Post
What about a Shereshaw Mercury, a design that is clearly within the time frame, but from a kit which may have been after 1965?

Pete G
Hi Pete

If the design clearly originated - i.e. was published - before the cut-off date then the date of any subsequent kit - e.g. one of the laser cut kits now available for lots of vintage designs - is not relevant as far as I am concerned, and entrants are welcome to use such kits in their build. However, if the model was a kit design ONLY and the kit was not first released until AFTER the 31/12/65 cut off date, then it would not qualify. Hope that clarifies it.
RCG Plus Member
Old Aug 14, 2014, 06:15 AM
RFJ
Northern Ireland
Joined Dec 2004
1,551 Posts
Count me in George. My entry will be a 75% Howard Bonner Smog Hog, winner of the 1956 US Nats. Electric powered and RET as usual. Not a looker by any means but a very significant design in the early history of aerobatics.

I really wanted to do a Henry Struck New Ruler but work on my Avro Avian is taking longer than anticipated and I would like something quick and easy next. Should have the Avis finished in about a month and I will start the Smog Hog build log then.

Ray
RFJ is offline Find More Posts by RFJ
Last edited by RFJ; Aug 14, 2014 at 06:37 AM.
Old Aug 14, 2014, 08:06 AM
South-west France
Joined Sep 2007
4,636 Posts
That's a classic selection Ray, as you say not the prettiest of models but one of great importance in the story of radio control development. As a matter of interest wasn't Charles Riall's "Rattler" basically a scaled down Smog Hog?
RCG Plus Member
Old Aug 14, 2014, 08:47 AM
RFJ
Northern Ireland
Joined Dec 2004
1,551 Posts
Quote:
wasn't Charles Riall's "Rattler" basically a scaled down Smog Hog?
I would say the answer to that question is a definite yes

Ray
RFJ is offline Find More Posts by RFJ
Last edited by RFJ; Aug 15, 2014 at 03:30 AM.
Old Aug 14, 2014, 10:10 PM
Hey, watch this!
United States, NC, Garner
Joined Feb 2005
461 Posts
Starduster

I've been looking for an excuse to build a 42-inch Taibi Starduster for a while now. It was the hot design of my youth and reminds me of the days when I could chase after a free flight. Ah the blessings of small out runners, li-pos, and 2.4 gigs!

This time I was thinking I'd build one for motor and rudder control.

I'd also like to figure out some servo-driven DT mechanism so I could drop her (land) in good ole traditional style. That should be simplified by the fact of the underslung rudder. Maybe just an extra large elevator with a really broad-range dual-rate. It might be fun trying to get something to work right.

In any case I'm a painfully slow builder and there isn't really any mystery about the structure so I'll forgo a build log. I just wanted the impetus to get started on my new 'Duster. Thanks.
Raymond-leflyr is offline Find More Posts by Raymond-leflyr
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Whining (not winning)