SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Apr 14, 2014, 01:28 PM
United States, OR, Portland
Joined Feb 2011
140 Posts
Discussion
AS3X for RES gliders? Would it work?

Would it work and/or be helpful in flying gliders without ailerons (like a bird of time, ect...)?
chadman is offline Find More Posts by chadman
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 14, 2014, 09:17 PM
Joined Oct 2004
622 Posts
At the risk of appearing ignorant , what the hell is AS3X ?
jetmaven is online now Find More Posts by jetmaven
Old Apr 14, 2014, 10:58 PM
Duane
No. VA
Joined Nov 2004
1,414 Posts
Stability augmentation. Basically, a "training wheels" autopilot.
http://www.e-fliterc.com/airplanes/as3x/
Wazmo is online now Find More Posts by Wazmo
Last edited by Wazmo; Apr 14, 2014 at 11:04 PM.
Old Apr 16, 2014, 12:34 AM
Fly R/C writer
Redlands, Ca
Joined Dec 2004
1,931 Posts
Yes, it would work, so long as the AS3X system was set up correctly. It would work better if the plane had ailerons, but the response is fast enough that as the plane begins think about rolling with the rudder, the correction is already being applied.

Mike Lee
mlee8249 is offline Find More Posts by mlee8249
Old Apr 16, 2014, 05:24 AM
United States, CA, Folsom
Joined Jul 2007
2,531 Posts
Actually works pretty well with the new little Radian, a simple 3 function plane (R, E, motor).

JT
jtlsf5 is offline Find More Posts by jtlsf5
Old Apr 16, 2014, 07:21 AM
Mulit-Platform Pilot
United States, FL, Jacksonville
Joined Sep 2004
3,200 Posts
I reviewed a glider with AS3X and one of the drawbacks is it dampens the visual cues you use to indicate lift.

But yes, it will work.
Andy
barracudahockey is online now Find More Posts by barracudahockey
Old Apr 16, 2014, 10:33 AM
Joined Oct 2004
622 Posts
Based on what Barracuda said , that's pretty much a deal killer if you're looking for the rewards of T/D flying . The nature of the visual cues you get can be very subtle .
jetmaven is online now Find More Posts by jetmaven
Old Apr 16, 2014, 04:14 PM
United States, OR, Portland
Joined Feb 2011
140 Posts
Thanks guys. Doesn't seem like a good fit...
chadman is offline Find More Posts by chadman
Old Apr 18, 2014, 01:53 PM
Chuck 'Em and Chase 'Em
United States, NY, Plainview
Joined Aug 2005
8,093 Posts
AS3X is to get rid of what we feed on.

Everyone else calls our cues, turbulence, we see it as the possibility for more air time.
Fly2High is offline Find More Posts by Fly2High
Old Apr 30, 2014, 04:24 AM
Just here for the pie.
Canada, BC, Ashcroft
Joined Jun 2011
386 Posts
I had a midnight inspiration on this.

Not AS3X for RES though. Maybe something like a MultiWii/NanoWii/Naze32 board for gliding (TD/DLG/HLG/etc.). There are some pretty darn small boards out there.

And maybe not flight stabilization--rather something like thermal detection/centring and telemetry output.

So basically, it would work like a variometer (connect to popular telemetry systems) with the ability to flick a switch and have the glider centre in the thermal (and stay there) also a knob for sensitivity. Maybe have a slope mode too.

Cheating? Definitely--and I can see it being used as a crutch instead of learning to read air. I can also see it being a great learning tool--watching how the plane centres in different kinds of thermals in different conditions, then trying it unassisted.

As a beginning hand-launcher (DLG), I've learned to identify and get into lift. Staying there--especially in variable wind or at altitude--has proved elusive thus far. I'd love to have a tool like that at my disposal.

Now, does it already sort-of exist or do I have to do some learning?

Just some midnight-oil thoughts.

Cheers!
Randall
randall_l is online now Find More Posts by randall_l
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Lots of flying today
Old Apr 30, 2014, 07:57 AM
Duane
No. VA
Joined Nov 2004
1,414 Posts
It's been done on a large scale. The software is the most complicated bit.
http://diydrones.com/profiles/blogs/...BlogPost:33429
Wazmo is online now Find More Posts by Wazmo
Old Apr 30, 2014, 08:41 AM
Just here for the pie.
Canada, BC, Ashcroft
Joined Jun 2011
386 Posts
Thanks Wazmo.

Even the Piccolo Nano is overkill for what I had in mind.

I already started mashing some code for the MultiWii Pro I just got. It's both simpler and harder than I thought.

Using the accelerometer, magnetometer and barometer I think I can do what's needed. Just have to brush up on C++ as it's been a while.

EDIT: I don't want to give anyone the wrong idea. I have no familiarity with MultiWii, nor with autonomous flight. This is just "something I'm looking into". It may not come to anything and if someone with the skills/knowledge has interest in this, please do it--don't wait because someone else is looking into it too. I'll likely get distracted or lose interest before anything happens with it if left to me.

Cheers!
Randall
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by randall_l; Apr 30, 2014 at 09:26 AM. Reason: Clarification
Old May 01, 2014, 12:30 AM
Fly R/C writer
Redlands, Ca
Joined Dec 2004
1,931 Posts
Strange.....nobody seems to have mentioned the umx Radian, which uses the AS3X system and does truly well! It detects lift, stays pretty stable, and flys great. Okay, it has a motor up front, but the point is that the AS3X does not defeat the ability of the plane to find and signal lift. I am convinced that a similar system would do fine for large sailplanes.

Mike Lee
Fly RC Magazine
mlee8249 is offline Find More Posts by mlee8249
Old May 01, 2014, 01:07 AM
Just here for the pie.
Canada, BC, Ashcroft
Joined Jun 2011
386 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlee8249 View Post
Strange.....nobody seems to have mentioned the umx Radian, which uses the AS3X system and does truly well! It detects lift, stays pretty stable, and flys great. Okay, it has a motor up front, but the point is that the AS3X does not defeat the ability of the plane to find and signal lift. I am convinced that a similar system would do fine for large sailplanes.

Mike Lee
Fly RC Magazine
Posts #5 and #6 mention the UMX Radian.

Cheers!
Randall
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Lots of flying today
Old Jun 03, 2014, 09:18 AM
Kurt Zimmerman ≡LSF 4461≡
Montrose, NY
Joined May 2003
1,369 Posts
OK so I spent probably over an hour watching the videos on the AS3X technology. I come from a die-hard traditional TD Soaring background. From some of the posts it would appear the AS3X technology may not be what I would be looking for during normal flight mode. I wonder how it would perform during launching (winch or hi-start) and landing. I would like to hear of someone who might have tested it and if it would interfere during a zoom launch or driving in for a 100 point landing.

Any comments, thoughts?

Kurt

ps. Since I upgraded to the Spektrum DX9 I am blown away with the advancement in the RC radio equipment. Truly amazing....
kzimmerm is online now Find More Posts by kzimmerm