I love my ID.
Fairfax VA
Joined Aug 2004
660 Posts
Discussion
(Available) 1/35 Micro Horten VII (ho 254) - 18 inch WS Laser cut kit

(Update 9-16-14) The kit is available for order at jingmodels.com

Folks,

Here is my latest project 1/35 Micro Horten VII. The airframe is built around AR6400 and two 6mm motors with 1mm depron skin and 2mm depron frames. Flight test turned out to be promising. It is surprisingly stable.

18" wingspan (1/32 scale)
19.7g without battery.
24g AUW with 150mah eflite battery.

I am trying to trim it for better glide performance and remove excessive up elevator trim. I think the culprit is the thrust line because it stalls out on power off and needed to hold up-elevator all the time with power. Further testing will follow in a better weather condition. Thank you for looking.

(Update 8-16-14) Latest flying video
Horten VII Micro 18inch wingspan (2 min 45 sec)
jingjingjing is offline Find More Posts by jingjingjing
Last edited by jingjingjing; Yesterday at 09:46 AM. Reason: 18 inch wingspan is 1/35 scale not 1/32.
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 10, 2014, 05:30 PM
Crazy Canuck
United States, VA, Woodbridge
Joined Apr 2007
2,209 Posts
WOW! Hope it will be at the fly in on the 19th at Westfield, even more if you show up at the NBM fly in on the 26th.
NEWBEFLYER is online now Find More Posts by NEWBEFLYER
Old Jan 10, 2014, 07:27 PM
Gulf Breeze, FL
Joined Jul 2006
2,940 Posts
Genius at work!

Gene K
speedy01 is offline Find More Posts by speedy01
Old Jan 10, 2014, 08:41 PM
Canada
Joined Nov 2000
6,980 Posts
Ho V11 plan from 2005 .. a proven design.
If wanting one? Print it out at whatever scale pleases.
Enjoy :-)
Bare is offline Find More Posts by Bare
Old Jan 10, 2014, 09:12 PM
I love my ID.
Fairfax VA
Joined Aug 2004
660 Posts
horten vii must be the easiest design to convert to RC. In fact, there is another micro VII thread in this forum.
I guess my modification on the thrust line should work out fine because it looks very similar to what is shown there. Mine used to parallel to the datum line before change. I will post how the new thrust line work out if weather gets better.
Thank you bare for spending time digging out that 2005 design.
In the scale the plan is drawn, the control configuration could work out fine. That must be the easiest and reliable way to mount the servo. I just wish that I had that much space inside the wing for micro servo.
Old Jan 11, 2014, 10:56 AM
I love my ID.
Fairfax VA
Joined Aug 2004
660 Posts
Pictures and 3views of Horten VII

Here are pictures of real Horten VII that I collected from the internet.
Old Jan 11, 2014, 12:08 PM
Designing something...
United States, CA, Cameron Park
Joined Jan 2004
1,685 Posts
Hey Jin,

I like it. I've got a flying 2.4m version. Please let me know if you want any details.

Regards,
Brian
cpdude is offline Find More Posts by cpdude
Old Jan 11, 2014, 01:36 PM
I love my ID.
Fairfax VA
Joined Aug 2004
660 Posts
Thank you Brian.

Thanks to your pointer to the Full spectrum laser engraver, my friends and I are having fun with the foam parts.
I looked at your Horten vii build log but I could not find much of similarity between your build and my version of the VII. If I come across a tough problem I will ask you for your horten expert opinion. For now, I am waiting to tryout my thrust line change but it has been very wet for couple of days here in Northern VA.

By the way, Does anyone recognize the prop in the picture? it is about 45mm (1 3/4") in length and there are CW and CCW versions. I got these props from a friend of mine who passed away couple of years ago but I don't know where it is from. I am using Blade nanoQx prop just because of availability but the prop shown in the picture seems more efficient for airplanes.
Old Jan 20, 2014, 10:35 AM
I love my ID.
Fairfax VA
Joined Aug 2004
660 Posts
I test flew my Horten VII both in indoors and outdoor with mixed results. Once it is tuned out, it flies remarkably stable but large control surfaces limit my elevon movement to 1mm up/down maximum. With this much of small movement it is very hard to accomplish precise control. I am going to reduce the control surface to inboard flaps of real horten vii and allow more throws for forgiving precision on control mechanism. I will see what happens.
Old Jan 20, 2014, 02:01 PM
Gulf Breeze, FL
Joined Jul 2006
2,940 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jingjingjing View Post
large control surfaces limit my elevon movement to 1mm up/down maximum.
Are you using expo?

Gene
speedy01 is offline Find More Posts by speedy01
Old Jan 20, 2014, 02:14 PM
United States, MA, Middleboro
Joined Jul 2007
605 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jingjingjing View Post
I test flew my Horten VII both in indoors and outdoor with mixed results. Once it is tuned out, it flies remarkably stable but large control surfaces limit my elevon movement to 1mm up/down maximum. With this much of small movement it is very hard to accomplish precise control. I am going to reduce the control surface to inboard flaps of real horten vii and allow more throws for forgiving precision on control mechanism. I will see what happens.
From my experience with swept flying wings with large (near full span) control surfaces such as your you need to have 35-50% expo for the elevator function or it is very twitchy. If you use the inboard surfaces only you will find the roll response is nearly non-existent.
iron eagle is offline Find More Posts by iron eagle
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: The third time is a charm!
Old Jan 20, 2014, 02:56 PM
I love my ID.
Fairfax VA
Joined Aug 2004
660 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by speedy01 View Post
Are you using expo?

Gene
expo didn't really do much in that small movement. Any little tiny bit of slack in control system ruins the whole precision. I am going for reliable method, not a high tech piece of art.

Quote:
Originally Posted by iron eagle View Post
From my experience with swept flying wings with large (near full span) control surfaces such as your you need to have 35-50% expo for the elevator function or it is very twitchy. If you use the inboard surfaces only you will find the roll response is nearly non-existent.
In fact, I have built another model with shortened control surface and it worked more reliably but still too sensitive.
I am not planning for barrel roll or any aerobatics. As long as, it turns and banks in desired amount and direction, I will be happy with it. Good thing about having a laser cutter is that I can build as many as I want to. A simple model like this takes me about an hour to build. We'll see what happens.
Old Jan 20, 2014, 03:45 PM
Joined Jul 2007
605 Posts
One other thing you may want to do to your model is to move the COG a bit more forward. Where this craft has characteristics of both a swept flying wing and a delta I have found with this type of plane the COG needs to be set a bit more like it would be for a delta then a simple flying wing (15-20% MAC). At least that is what I have found with similar plane forms.
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 22, 2014, 12:13 PM
I love my ID.
Fairfax VA
Joined Aug 2004
660 Posts
Horten vii (version 3)

Here is a picture of version 3. I shortened the length of elevon to dumb it down. Scale flap is elevon.
It is very snowy outside.
Old Jan 22, 2014, 12:19 PM
Joined Jul 2007
605 Posts
Good luck with it.
Got a bit of snow here last night, well over a foot.
RCG Plus Member