SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Jun 17, 2013, 11:56 AM
Australia, ACT, Canberra
Joined Nov 2012
48 Posts
Help!
Telemetry displayed on 9XR with OrangeRx LRS Tx/Rx

[ UPDATE: It all works well - You can display either MAVLink or FrSky telemetry data on the 9XR screen using the OrangeRX devices (or any OpenLRS device) to transmit the data (no extra modems or hardware required). A few simple HW mods are required, and you should use Gitsly/OpenLRSng firmware branch on the OrangeRX devices, and OpenTX firmware on the 9XR (with MAVLink or FrSky extensions).

You will also be able to connect your MAVLink ground station (e.g., Mission Planner on your PC) via the same radio link using FTDI cable to simultaneously display live flight data and control your plane.

Jump to thread post #140 for simple setup summary: http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...&postcount=140 ]
--------

Hi, this may well have been answered at some time somewhere in the 1000s of related posts, but after much reading, I am still unsure of the latest status of basic OrangeRX LRS telemetry (e.g., Rx_RSSI, 5V_level, etc) displayed on the 9XR LCD screen. I dont know if it perhaps happens by default with some firmware combination, or maybe it is not even possible.

Reading suggests that the ORX lrs can pass FrSky telemetry to the radio. Other reading suggests the 9XR needs hardware mods, but i am not sure if the authors were assuming this based on 9X methods. Further reading says the ORX Tx needs mods. These bits of info are all over the place, and I dont know for sure what is compatible with what. Which firmware combination supports this on the 9XR, Tx, Rx?

I have also not seen a video of basic telemetry being displayed on the 9XR with the ORX rx/tx, so I dont know what people have achieved.

Please, can you enlighten me within this thread? i.e., Please dont just link to an old comment within another thread of 1000s of unrelated comments, unless necessary. Please, can this discussion thread aim to become a concise place for Googlers to find out the succinct status, as much as possible?

First, I'd like to know/see what basic telemetry is possible with just these components (9XR, ORX LRS Rx/Tx). I'd like to know what firmwares need to be flashed on each component, and if the firmwares need modification. Then, which hardware components need to be mod'ed, if any, and how. Of course, if it is not possible, or if this thread already exists on its own somewhere (that google doesnt find directly!), please state this so that those of us with this combo will not waste your time any longer

These are the devices we are talking about:
- OrangeRX LRS UHF Tx module (~$30): http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...095&aff=913237
- OrangeRX LRS UHF Rx (~$20): http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...096&aff=913237
-Turnigy 9XR radio (~$50): http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...544&aff=913237

With this setup, 16 mixed channels are possible for under $100, so I expect this combination and discussion may become common.

Cheers,
A
avrg_andy is offline Find More Posts by avrg_andy
Last edited by avrg_andy; Feb 26, 2014 at 11:02 AM. Reason: Added "UPDATE" info to make it clear that it all works well.
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 17, 2013, 12:50 PM
kha
openLRSng haxor
Finland, Espoo
Joined Mar 2011
1,910 Posts
Short answer more later...

Hardware mod is needed and is very much same as 9x one. I will be modding my 9xr soon so will poat pictures.

OpenLRSng does not support telemetry more than out of range beep currently but that is being worked on so it will soon have it. A minimal mod may be needed on tx module too. Details on this later too.
kha is online now Find More Posts by kha
RCG Plus Member
Old Jun 17, 2013, 02:20 PM
kha
openLRSng haxor
Finland, Espoo
Joined Mar 2011
1,910 Posts
This post is what you will want to do on 9xr internals.

http://forum.turnigy9xr.com/converting-9xr-to-frsky-telemetry-djt-module-t362.html

I.e. You want to wire those two 220ohm resistors and the 500ohm one.

The values are not really important and you can substitute just fine with (150...330) and (470...1k).

Also you may ignore the DJT instruction.

I will post pics later on how to modify the orangeRX UHF transmitter.

OpenLRSngTX rev0 and rev1 boards need a modification too, rev2 boards (which I am testing currently will work directly).
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by kha; Jun 17, 2013 at 03:02 PM.
Old Jun 17, 2013, 10:48 PM
Australia, ACT, Canberra
Joined Nov 2012
48 Posts
Hi Kha, thanks for clarifying current status, and thanks in advance for showing the best method for getting telemetry working with this common combo. Appreciate knowing what steps are necessary, and I look forward to seeing your pics/procedure. It's reassuring to know you are about to personally do these mods. Your work on the openlrsng firmware side has been remarkable also.

This is a common recent radio combination, so I was surprised when I found out hardware mods were required, especially as the advertising for each unit claim telemetry readiness. Your info will be greatly appreciated!
Old Jun 17, 2013, 11:44 PM
kha
openLRSng haxor
Finland, Espoo
Joined Mar 2011
1,910 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by avrg_andy View Post
This is a common recent radio combination, so I was surprised when I found out hardware mods were required, especially as the advertising for each unit claim telemetry readiness. Your info will be greatly appreciated!
Yes, hobbyking could have easily made the telemetry mods and loaded a telemetry ready firmware. They likely got lazy on design as the ISP connection is also jump wired instead of modifying pcb for easy access.
RCG Plus Member
Old Jun 18, 2013, 04:16 AM
kha
openLRSng haxor
Finland, Espoo
Joined Mar 2011
1,910 Posts
How to modify OrangeRX UHF TX

I made a quick instruction on how to modify the OrangeRX UHF TX module so that it outputs the serial towards the radio via 'RF' pin.

The modification is quite easy with just normal soldering skills needed and includes removing one SMD resistor and adding a jumpper wire.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/...lemetrymod.pdf

The removal of the resistor actually indicates that Orange did not really known what they were doing while copying the Flytron module.

On futaba there is a pin called "RF" on the module connector which is used to light up a "RF on" indicator on the TX frontside and this is what the Flytron M2 is wired to do.

However on JR (which 9x follows loosely, more on that a bit later) the pin named RF is for antenna and was used for 35/72MHz modules.

Now Orange wired it like futaba so the 'antenna' gets the "RF out" signal, via the resistor (R2) we remove in above instruction.

On the matter of loosely following JR...

The Orange module pinout is (from bottom):
[RF] [GND] [VIN] [GND*] [PPM]
Notably this is incompatible as standard JR outputs ~6V on the "GND*" pin.
RCG Plus Member
Old Jun 18, 2013, 12:16 PM
Australia, ACT, Canberra
Joined Nov 2012
48 Posts
Fantastic HW mod info thanks Kha. Is any existing functionality lost with these OrangRx or 9XR hardware mods?

Now regarding firmware, I assume the openlrsng tx firmware best suits the OrangeRX Tx mod, but is the mod compatible with other existing openlrs firmware options?

Finally, which firmware options support this telemetry display on my mod'ed 9XR? What do you recommend/use?

cheers again, A.
PS: sounds like pretty poor cloning by ORx, but glad it's redeemable
Old Jun 18, 2013, 12:41 PM
kha
openLRSng haxor
Finland, Espoo
Joined Mar 2011
1,910 Posts
Quote:
Fantastic HW mod info thanks Kha. Is any existing functionality lost with these OrangRx or 9XR hardware mods?

Now regarding firmware, I assume the openlrsng tx firmware best suits the OrangeRX Tx mod, but is the mod compatible with other existing openlrs firmware options?

Finally, which firmware options support this telemetry display on my mod'ed 9XR? What do you recommend/use?

cheers again, A.
PS: sounds like pretty poor cloning by ORx, but glad it's redeemable
No functionality is lost by these modifications when pertformed successfully. One just needs to load the 'frsky' firmware to enable the rerouted buttons.

The modifications are generic and will work with any softwares that use the serial ports for telemetry. The linked mod is oneway but can be extended to two way if needed but this requires some work on isolating the second gnd on the 5 pin header on both radio and module.

I am not aware of all olrs firmwares. I think the flytron code had something but eg. Thundead did not have anything.

On radioside er9x th9x opentx etc. All support displaying telemetry.
RCG Plus Member
Old Jun 18, 2013, 01:32 PM
Australia, ACT, Canberra
Joined Nov 2012
48 Posts
Ok! Looks like we're ready to mod. Regarding the 9XR mod, from Helle's pictures posted on the first page, it seems there is an easier way to tap into pins 41,42 on the Atmel... they connect to two U6 pins that are larger soldering points. I'll check with a multimeter, but it looks correct, and way easier to solder onto. this make the mod easier.

"[Atmel] Pins 41,42 ... go to U6 Pins 9,10"

See pics:
1) http://forum.turnigy9xr.com/download...d=57&mode=view
2) http://forum.turnigy9xr.com/download...d=56&mode=view

Looks quite quick and easy to get telemetry working.

Cheers, A.

Edit: links broken. see post #24 for pics.
Last edited by avrg_andy; Jul 21, 2013 at 01:40 AM. Reason: broken links
Old Jun 18, 2013, 01:52 PM
kha
openLRSng haxor
Finland, Espoo
Joined Mar 2011
1,910 Posts
Yes... This is both good and bad.

It's good that those are easker to solder to.

Bad is that they are wired somewhere AFAIK those were unconnected on 9x as there was no U6.

It makes sense to see what else is connected to U6 which is a bit mystery for me at least.

Edit googled a bit.. The pins used for the switches are control lines for the analog mux u6 so there is some trouble caused by the modification need to investigate it more. Luckily it is very easy to undo when there is a better way.
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by kha; Jun 18, 2013 at 02:03 PM.
Old Jun 19, 2013, 03:44 AM
Australia, ACT, Canberra
Joined Nov 2012
48 Posts
Hmmm... I assumed that folks already knew Atmel pins 41,42 were already connected on the 9XR, but that the mod still worked when people tested with the FrSky Tx module. This was related to why I wondered about lost functionality. Have you detected any adverse effects, or is tapping pins 41,42 (or equivalent U6 pins) still the preferred/only 9XR mod?

(Link to 9XR mod we are concerned about: http://forum.turnigy9xr.com/download...c6ec8ac68c5bc3)

EDIT: link broken. attaching pdf directly to this post.
Last edited by avrg_andy; Jul 21, 2013 at 01:44 AM. Reason: broken link
Old Jun 19, 2013, 08:58 AM
kha
openLRSng haxor
Finland, Espoo
Joined Mar 2011
1,910 Posts
Quote:
Hmmm... I assumed that folks already knew Atmel pins 41,42 were already connected on the 9XR, but that the mod still worked when people tested with the FrSky Tx module. This was related to why I wondered about lost functionality. Have you detected any adverse effects, or is tapping pins 41,42 (or equivalent U6 pins) still the preferred/only 9XR mod?

(Link to 9XR mod we are concerned about: http://forum.turnigy9xr.com/download...c6ec8ac68c5bc3)
For me it seems that the opentx at least work around by those pins being shared, i.e. the are inputs when it reads the switch state and outputs when it needs to use the mux.
RCG Plus Member
Old Jun 20, 2013, 10:45 AM
Australia, ACT, Canberra
Joined Nov 2012
48 Posts
Ok. While I'm in the mood to do the telemetry mods, I wanna also do the biderectional serial mods so I can use the serial uplink from my PC to APM.

I guess I can use the existing pins in the Tx module to input serial data, but would first need to isolate them. You mentioned you isolated the second ground on the 5 pin header on _both_ the 9XR and the ORX Tx module. It's not clear to me why you need further mods on the 9XR... Isn't it sufficient to input serial data directly on the Tx module? Or is there a good reason? perhaps you pass-thru the 9XR?

Anyway I guess you have tried the serial uplink so it would be fantastic if you could show how to connect the serial inputs to a PC, while the Tx is simultaneously in the 9XR

sorry to keep you so busy, really appreciate the info
\A
Old Jun 20, 2013, 12:47 PM
kha
openLRSng haxor
Finland, Espoo
Joined Mar 2011
1,910 Posts
Quote:
Ok. While I'm in the mood to do the telemetry mods, I wanna also do the biderectional serial mods so I can use the serial uplink from my PC to APM.

I guess I can use the existing pins in the Tx module to input serial data, but would first need to isolate them. You mentioned you isolated the second ground on the 5 pin header on _both_ the 9XR and the ORX Tx module. It's not clear to me why you need further mods on the 9XR... Isn't it sufficient to input serial data directly on the Tx module? Or is there a good reason? perhaps you pass-thru the 9XR?

Anyway I guess you have tried the serial uplink so it would be fantastic if you could show how to connect the serial inputs to a PC, while the Tx is simultaneously in the 9XR

sorry to keep you so busy, really appreciate the info
\A
Yes, you should be able to connect the serial tx from the module at the same time towards the 9x and PC. For the uplink direction connect just the wire from PC. This is exactly what happens if you connect FTDI to the 6 pin serial header. (and the ORangeRX module should have no problem driving towards 9x and PC).

You can also connect a serial - bluetooth module to the 6pin serial header and use that to make a wireless 2.4GHz link to your PC.
RCG Plus Member
Old Jun 20, 2013, 09:39 PM
Australia, ACT, Canberra
Joined Nov 2012
48 Posts
I see from the Turnigy forum that a bidirectional connection to the 9XR is used to control the Tx module alarm (beep) and maybe some additional factory settings without the need to set them using a PC. This sounds convenient, so I will also do this final part of the mod.

So far, on the ORX Tx module, we have connected the TxD FTDI pin to the 5-pin module header [RF] pin so the 9XR can display telemetry (9XR receives data only). For the 9XR to also control Tx module settings (bidirectional), we need to connect to the Tx module's RxD as well. To do this, it seems we can solder another wire on the OrangeRx from FTDI RxD pin to the [GND*] pin (isolate it first) in the 5-pin module header, and on the 9XR, connect a wire from the Atmel pin 3 to the corresponding 5-pin module header pin (isolate it first also).

edit: on the 9XR, do we need to add another 500 Ohm protection resistor in the added wire?
Last edited by avrg_andy; Jun 20, 2013 at 10:33 PM.