Old Dec 03, 2012, 02:39 PM
I'd rather be.....
Bristol, UK
Joined Jun 2008
209 Posts
Discussion
Picasim now available for Windows

http://www.rowlhouse.co.uk/PicaSim/

Woo-hoo : up and running on Windows - much the same as the Android version, but YOU CAN USE A TX (or USB controller) as the input device

Not fiddled much with the settings yet, but to get you started
In Joystick, check "Enable Joystick", then these mappings worked for me
  • Joystick 0 : Right Stick Horiz : Scale -1.0
  • Joystick 1 : Right Stick Vert : Scale +1.0
  • Joystick 2 : Left Stick Vert : Scale +1.0
  • Joystick 4 : Left Stick Horiz : Scale -1.0
In Controller, I've set the Left Stick Vertical Movement Scale to Zero (off) as Crow brakes aren't really needed on a Sim

Problem with having this to stick setting turned on control flaps is that the stick mid-point is neutral: stick forward is full up-flap(spoiler) and stick back is full down-flap (crow). I like flying with stick forward as the neutral position, and stick back as full crow brakes, but haven't found how to do that yet
geoffers0_0 is offline Find More Posts by geoffers0_0
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 03, 2012, 04:12 PM
Alphabets make great soup
Australia, QLD, Toowoomba
Joined Jul 2008
1,818 Posts
Cool. Thanks for posting.

Do you know how blow it up to full screen?
Hamburglar is offline Find More Posts by Hamburglar
Old Dec 03, 2012, 05:05 PM
I'd rather be.....
Bristol, UK
Joined Jun 2008
209 Posts
I found you can drag the window corners to grow the window - the restore-up button on the right doesn't maximize but dragging works.

I think that Danny is treating this as a Beta version, and is happy to take criticism / requests for improvement etc - details here http://picasim.freeforums.org/now-av...ndows-t28.html
Old Dec 03, 2012, 05:28 PM
Alphabets make great soup
Australia, QLD, Toowoomba
Joined Jul 2008
1,818 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by geoffers0_0 View Post
I found you can drag the window corners to grow the window - the restore-up button on the right doesn't maximize but dragging works.

I think that Danny is treating this as a Beta version, and is happy to take criticism / requests for improvement etc - details here http://picasim.freeforums.org/now-av...ndows-t28.html
Cool. Thanks for that.
Hamburglar is offline Find More Posts by Hamburglar
Old Dec 03, 2012, 11:16 PM
Aerobatics!
United States, CA, Big Bear Lake
Joined Nov 2007
2,463 Posts
Hey so I got this working on my xbox 360 controller, the only issue is my up and down is reversed.. I just decided to fly the fish upside down at this point but it would be cool to have it the right way around.

Is there any way to reverse channels?

I should read before I post; set up the controller with Danny's settings above and everything is working fine
JGAF is online now Find More Posts by JGAF
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by JGAF; Dec 03, 2012 at 11:33 PM.
Old Dec 03, 2012, 11:55 PM
Brett
So Cal
Joined Apr 2002
5,295 Posts
Hmm..just gets stuck on the loading screen for me. Won't run.
bjaffee is online now Find More Posts by bjaffee
Old Dec 04, 2012, 06:24 AM
United Kingdom, England, Oxford
Joined Jul 2002
197 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjaffee View Post
Hmm..just gets stuck on the loading screen for me. Won't run.
Yes - sorry about this. It seems to be hitting a small but significant proportion of machines - not necessarily low end ones either. Updating graphics card drivers might help... (but I have no evidence yet that it will).

To fix it (I hope), and also allow running full screen, I need to rewrite some of the graphics code. Hopefully that will happen fairly soon.

I'm hoping that people might start tinkering with the planes and sceneries - it's pretty straightforward, and I'm happy to explain anything.
Mr Rowl is offline Find More Posts by Mr Rowl
Old Dec 04, 2012, 12:04 PM
Brett
So Cal
Joined Apr 2002
5,295 Posts
Mine's an Intel I7 920 with a Radeon 6870 video card, fwiw. Fairly high-end when it was new 2 years ago, but I guess it's probably middle-of-the-road now.
bjaffee is online now Find More Posts by bjaffee
Old Dec 04, 2012, 12:07 PM
Joined Jul 2002
197 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjaffee View Post
Mine's an Intel I7 920 with a Radeon 6870 video card, fwiw. Fairly high-end when it was new 2 years ago, but I guess it's probably middle-of-the-road now.
Unfortunately (in a way) it's not about power - that card would easily be able to handle it. It's purely about whether the system that converts OpenGL ES to OpenGL works with it. That part will change. Soon. I promise!
Old Dec 06, 2012, 09:21 AM
Tampere, Finland
Joined Nov 2004
4,218 Posts
Works fine on my old XP machine.
Here's a couple of things that are not quite perfect for me:
- using a mouse for control, I have no tactile feedback of what I'm doing. In some simulators, I do sort-of-OK using arrow keys for control.
- The plane and site selection screens look like there'd be more than 3 selections but I have no way to scroll down.
- My mouse pointer sometimes disappears when it is over the simulator.
perttime is offline Find More Posts by perttime
Last edited by perttime; Dec 06, 2012 at 09:40 AM.
Old Dec 06, 2012, 09:25 AM
Joined Jul 2002
197 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by perttime View Post
- using a mouse for control, I have little tactile feedback of what I'm doing. In some simulators, I do sort-of-OK using arrow keys for control.
Yes - the best way is with a joystick, Tx interface or gamepad...

Quote:
- The plane and site selection screens look like there'd be more than 3 selections but I have no way to scroll down.
You can click and drag (it's rather obviously a port of a touchscreen app!). Also, I uploaded a new version a couple of hours ago that enables the mouse scroll wheel in the selection screens. It also adds one more plane - I think there's 18 in total...

Quote:
- My mouse pointer sometimes disappears when it is over the simulator.
Weird - I've never seen that one!

Glad it's mostly working though!
Old Dec 06, 2012, 05:36 PM
I'd rather be.....
Bristol, UK
Joined Jun 2008
209 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Rowl View Post
Also, I uploaded a new version a couple of hours ago that enables the mouse scroll wheel in the selection screens.
aha - that was one thing I was going to ask for...

Also - is it possible to set the left-stick-vertical (spoiler/crow setting) so that stick fully forward=no braking, and stick back= full braking.

At the moment it seems to me that stick-centre=no braking, but stick-forward = braking (spoiler up) and stick-back = braking (flap down/crow)
Old Dec 06, 2012, 06:13 PM
Joined Jul 2002
197 Posts
Quote:
At the moment it seems to me that stick-centre=no braking, but stick-forward = braking (spoiler up) and stick-back = braking (flap down/crow)
It varies depending on the model. Some just have flaps that go up or down depending on the stick offset from centre (e.g. Le Fish, Phase 6) but now I check, some (e.g. the Banana) are just odd... Generally I need to go through and sort them out.

Quote:
Also - is it possible to set the left-stick-vertical (spoiler/crow setting) so that stick fully forward=no braking, and stick back= full braking.
Yes it is (fortunately = I'd never tried it before)! The equation is:

control = trim + (input ^ exponential) * scale

and the input ranges from -1 to +1. With the default settings the output will range from -1 to +1 too.

So - in the controller settings (advanced), scroll down to the left stick vertical. Then set:

exp = 1.0
trim = 0.5
scale = 0.5
spring = false

Then the output maps from 0 to 1 i.e. with the stick down there's no flaps/spoilers, with it up, they're full on (flaps up or spoilers on).

If instead you adjust (as well as exp and spring)

trim = -0.5
scale = -0.5

Then the output maps from 0 to -1 i.e. with the stick down there's no flaps/spoilers, with it up, they're full on (flaps down or spoilers on).

What you want, I think is:

trim = -0.5
scale = 0.5

Then the output maps from -1 to 0 i.e. with the stick down flaps are down/spoilers on, and with it up there's no flaps/spoilers.

I hope that makes sense! In the future hopefully there will be a full mixer setup that's easier to use (at the moment some of that goes on in the model definition, so isn't easy to adjust - even things like snap flaps). Also, many planes need a fifth analogue channel really. And as I say - this control aspect needs some attention on pretty much all the planes.
Old Dec 06, 2012, 07:32 PM
Gravity sucks
United States, WA, Richland
Joined Mar 2006
2,487 Posts
I've downloaded the installer, but it does not seem to want to install the program on my Windows 7 machine.

Mike
SrWade is offline Find More Posts by SrWade
Old Dec 07, 2012, 05:41 PM
Feeling FrSky
United States, CA, Santa Barbara
Joined Feb 2003
20,086 Posts
Quote:
That's a 4-axis setup... PicaSim is as far as I know the only way you can play around with what that setup is like, outside of setting up a real-life glider to fly that way.

Steve
surfimp is offline Find More Posts by surfimp
RCG Plus Member