HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 03, 2012, 01:20 PM
United States, PA, Erie
Joined Dec 2012
8 Posts
Discussion
Upgrade to Lipo and Brushless

Hi all,

Looking at getting back into the RC hobby. I eventually want to build a quadcopter, it'll be pretty expensive starting from scratch. So to ease the expense, I was going to upgrade my old RC truck to Lipo. Is there a lipo pack that is the same size as the old nimh battery packs?
It still has the old resistive style speed controller too. I'd love to upgrade to a brushless motor and ESC, but I've read the ball diff and plastic gears will shred. Is there a low power brushless motor available that'll keep the gears happy? Or should i just stick with the old brushed motor and controller and use a lipo with low voltage monitor?

Here's the truck I have. probably had it for ~15 years now.
https://www.tamiyausa.com/product/it...oduct-id=58146
jrz126 is offline Find More Posts by jrz126
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 03, 2012, 07:03 PM
Canada, ON, Markham
Joined Aug 2008
8,842 Posts
I would stick with a brushed motor in there for now. If you do shred the gears it could be really hard to find replacements too.

I would suggest getting a brushed ESC before getting a lipo pack though, the extra current a lipo can deliver won't work well with the resistor.

Is the battery channel oval shaped, or totally rectangular? Lots of tamiya vehicles had ovalish battery areas to fit the shape of stick packs, unfortunately the majority of lipo packs aren't the same shape.
wparsons is online now Find More Posts by wparsons
Old Dec 03, 2012, 08:32 PM
bashing on vancouver island
Joined Sep 2008
609 Posts
gens ace makes a lipo that fits. i had a tamiya manta ray which shares most of the parts with your truck, ebay has lots of parts for the ta01 and ta02. if you go brushless go with a motor with 3000kv or less.
veggieslinger is offline Find More Posts by veggieslinger
Old Dec 04, 2012, 03:03 AM
Did you check the FAQ already?
The Netherlands
Joined Jul 2010
12,668 Posts
Simply going to lipo already adds speed and acceleration. And as already mentioned. there are stickpack-shaped lipo packs. 40+ km/h speeds are well possible, even wth a simple brushed motor, without shredding tyres or gears.
SoloProFan is online now Find More Posts by SoloProFan
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 04, 2012, 09:19 AM
Malaysia, Federal Territory of Kuala Lumpur, Kuala Lumpur
Joined Jun 2012
285 Posts
goto quadcopter thread..i dont think its expensive to build one with parts from china..LOL...
leonggyooi is offline Find More Posts by leonggyooi
Old Dec 04, 2012, 02:55 PM
United States, PA, Erie
Joined Dec 2012
8 Posts
ah, 'stickpack' was what i was looking for. I knew that style had to have a name.

Looks like im going to go with the Turnigy 3300mAh 2S 30C Lipo Pack
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...Lipo_Pack.html
Is 30C sufficient?
jrz126 is offline Find More Posts by jrz126
Old Dec 04, 2012, 06:33 PM
Canada, ON, Markham
Joined Aug 2008
8,842 Posts
Will that pack fit? It's rectangular, not rounded like a stick pack.

You would be safer with something like this:

http://www.greathobbies.com/producti...d=TGHC40002C35

or

http://www.allerc.com/hyperion-swift...ck-p-4565.html
Old Dec 04, 2012, 07:21 PM
Mt helena western australia
Joined May 2009
2,013 Posts
Buy a motor the same size as your current brushed motor but get a "stock" setup, so a motor with a turn rating around 21.5t . The power won't be to much more than your current brushed setup probably but will run a lot longer and smoother.
rangamatchstic is offline Find More Posts by rangamatchstic
Old Dec 04, 2012, 11:40 PM
Did you check the FAQ already?
The Netherlands
Joined Jul 2010
12,668 Posts
Brushless will not run smoother by definition. Especially at lower revs, if you have a sensorless motor and ESC, which is cheaper/more affordable, the control will be less smooth than an average brushed setup.
SoloProFan is online now Find More Posts by SoloProFan
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by SoloProFan; Dec 05, 2012 at 12:07 AM.
Old Dec 05, 2012, 07:35 PM
Mt helena western australia
Joined May 2009
2,013 Posts
by a hobby wing system, cheap awesome, smooooottth
rangamatchstic is offline Find More Posts by rangamatchstic
Old Dec 06, 2012, 10:45 AM
Canada, ON, Markham
Joined Aug 2008
8,842 Posts
^^ As smooth as it might seem, a sensorless brushless system will NEVER be as smooth as a brushed motor.

There's a reason rock crawlers still mostly run brushed motors, and it's definitely not for efficiency.