HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 23, 2012, 05:03 AM
Joined Nov 2012
10 Posts
Discussion
RCMODEL4U anygood?

Hi,

Im looking to buy my first collective pitch heli and want to get this from RCMODEL4U. Im in the UK and and I havent flown for 10yrs (4ch fixed).
I dont have a lot of money but I really like the look of the WASP X3V LCD.
Great price and looks stable and robust plus FBL.

Im just a bit worried about buying from a site in China that I dont know therefore I was hoping this community could tell me if they had good, bad or average experiences with them please?

Many THank

Ramsey.
ramsey007 is offline Find More Posts by ramsey007
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 23, 2012, 05:26 AM
United Kingdom, England, Witham
Joined Feb 2011
899 Posts
seller has 100% positive feedback on ebay can't be all bad!

Cant seem to find anything bad about them online.... Can't find anything good either tho!
Website has some nice prices, but the shipping is quite high.... strangely his ebay items are cheaper than the webshop
Essex2visuvesi is offline Find More Posts by Essex2visuvesi
Old Nov 23, 2012, 09:48 AM
Joined Nov 2012
10 Posts
Thanks Essex, Im was the same, couldnt find anything bad but also nothing good. Cant get that HEli anywhere andf his prices are cheap! I think he may have had another Ebay account and that didnt read as well. Some stated over a month for delviery!
I really fancy the Wasp and would buy the V3 but knowing that this is imminent and has so many improvements I would kick myself but cant wait....
Old Nov 23, 2012, 11:07 AM
Joined Nov 2012
10 Posts
It appears his one ebay account has only 7 feedback in one year out 600 odd where the one below reflects a bit more of the truth I suppose which isnt so good :-( 98.3 and up to a month waiting. Really fancied that heli too. (not the one below, the wasp x3v)

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Walkera-60...ht_6636wt_1074
Old Nov 23, 2012, 01:20 PM
Rotor Controller
Aachen Germany
Joined Dec 2007
1,991 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ramsey007 View Post
I dont have a lot of money but I really like the look of the WASP X3V LCD. Great price and looks stable and robust plus FBL.
Just curious - how can you tell it is stable and robust? From the description or the picture? Granted it is nice looking - but unfortunately nice looking has nothing to do with flight characteristics. Cheap Chinese is not cheap - it is a blank check. $179 is a down payment. Unfortunately you are not the only one who has been hooked - lined - and sinkered - by these kind of scum suckers. Your decision is your decision what you buy. 3 months from now you will have a totally different perspective. I hope you will share that perspective with others so they can learn from your experience.

captJac
CaptJac is offline Find More Posts by CaptJac
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 23, 2012, 01:54 PM
Joined Nov 2012
10 Posts
The heli Market is a nightmare and a newb can only really make there mind up by reviews and videos. They all seem pretty good and it looks ultra stable in hover. I flew 4 ch heli (Ikarus piccolo, real dog) 10yrs ago and havent since. I have a small budget to have another play and wanted cp. The fbl looks great and it was between this and the walkera master cp. The stripping servos put me off the master as this will be an occasional hobby. From he mind field of helis and constant conflicting advice of shops I stumped or pot luck from my own investigations.
I'm not quite sure what your question is or answer, are you saying these are rubbish? Are you saying these sellers are untrustworthy?
Old Nov 23, 2012, 02:13 PM
Cranky old fart
Germantown, WI.
Joined Oct 2007
21,465 Posts
All RTF flybarless helis strip servos. Servos take lots of punishment with no flybar to manage movement. You will need decent metal gear servos regardless of which model you chose.

I found the tail of the Wasp V3 to be very fragile and problematic. I do not know if this has been fixed with the X3V. Walkera churns models very often, so the availability of the Master CP, in current form, may be short. It also uses motors from the V400D02 which are crap. I am not a fan of Walkera and have sold all of my Walkera gear, but given a choice between these two models, I would take the Master CP. Servos and motors can be easily replaced or upgraded.
Balr14 is offline Find More Posts by Balr14
Old Nov 23, 2012, 02:16 PM
Joined Nov 2012
10 Posts
Thanks for the advice, I'm sooooooo confused. I have about 170 uk and need rtf, either a decent 4th that can fly outside or a cp.
Can ou recommend anything please???
Old Nov 23, 2012, 02:19 PM
Rotor Controller
Aachen Germany
Joined Dec 2007
1,991 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ramsey007 View Post
I'm not quite sure what your question is or answer, are you saying these are rubbish? Are you saying these sellers are untrustworthy?
You already made up your mind. You want a 450 CP helicopter. You don't want to spend more than $179. You are a qualified pilot because you flew a 4 channel heli 10 years ago. If you think you can buy and fly a 450 for a $179 then nothing I can say has any value. You will learn from your experience.

captJac
CaptJac is offline Find More Posts by CaptJac
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 23, 2012, 02:39 PM
Cranky old fart
Germantown, WI.
Joined Oct 2007
21,465 Posts
Given your desires, location, previous experience and budget constraints, I would go for this: http://www.goodluckbuy.com/f450-quad...assembled.html.

and this: http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...Firmware_.html

They are durable, easy to get parts for and outperform any FP heli. They will also manage a bit of wind.
Old Nov 23, 2012, 02:55 PM
Joined Nov 2012
10 Posts
Thanks balr I will check that out.
Captjac, one like you on every forum, unhelpful, sarcastic and rude, glad you have mastered your trade, maybe the beginners part of this forum isn't the best place for you to post your very helpful, encouraging advice.
A simple, I would steer clear and practice more on a newer 4ch heli before moving up. 170 british pounds btw
Old Nov 23, 2012, 03:16 PM
Cranky old fart
Germantown, WI.
Joined Oct 2007
21,465 Posts
You have picked a time to re-enter this hobby where advances in electronics have all but killed the conventional FP heli. Flight control boards for quads and flybarless control systems for helis are dirt cheap and very good. The difference between a flybarless FP heli and CP heli is basically one servo, the head designs are almost identical. Consequently, there's not much incentive to make an FP model. The downside of flybarless helis is very abrupt and immediate response, frequent servo damage and relatively high cost.

The only larger FP helis being made are by toy companies and feature 45 offset flybar designs with lots of latency for ultra-stability, but very poor movement authority. They are very cheap, so their gentle flight characteristics and cost make them a big hit with the current generation of beginners, but no one else. There are better options for learning that are much more cost effective.

Micro helis and quads are really the learning tools of choice because of their durability. Quads have really taken off in the last 6 months because of their performance. Flips, loops and rolls are relatively easy.
Old Nov 23, 2012, 03:35 PM
Joined Nov 2012
10 Posts
Balr, great info, much appreciated.
Another heli two local shop recommended was a blade 130x with a dx6i controller. Is this a step too far? The shops didn't think so though they are trying to make a sale.
No sure if you know my old heli, piccolo but it was extremely hard to fly. It took me 3 months to hove it ! I ended up doing circuits but nothing more. It was awful outside but it is quite big in today's standards (about 50cm blade dia)
Maybe I am trying to run before I can walk, though I keep getting told if you take our time it's possible to go cp? Thanks again
Old Nov 23, 2012, 03:43 PM
Cranky old fart
Germantown, WI.
Joined Oct 2007
21,465 Posts
I am familiar with the old Picolo, Hummingbird, HBFP design; I owned 7 of them. If you can fly one of those you can fly anything. I like the 130X a lot. I'm a big fan of LHS support and parts availability and own several Blade models (MSR, MCPx, MQx). But, I would have thought it was outside of your budget and on the small side. Anything you buy today is going to require you to get used to instant response with considerable movement. But, it shouldn't be too difficult.
Old Nov 23, 2012, 03:54 PM
Joined Nov 2012
10 Posts
I'm thinking for my aspirations I'm going to have to review my budget ;-).
I can get the 130x for 140 and a dx6 for 90 totalling 230. Is it worth stretching myself for in your opinion?