HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jul 15, 2012, 04:53 PM
I like real wooden aeroplanes!
South-west France
Joined Sep 2007
4,636 Posts
I continue to be impressed by your progress Colonel, nice work. Yes RHW wrote on a multitude of subjects as well as aeromodelling. Today I have been working on scaling up the Mercury Mars plans, a Warring creation, it is starting to look interesting and hopefully I shall be cutting balsa this week. In the meantime I have finally finished the Mamba drawings and they are winging (well, as much winging as La Poste and the Royal Mail ever do) their way to Kevin at Q&EFI for publication later this year.

I hope you are enjoying the building as much as I am enjoying following your build thread!
Sundancer is online now Find More Posts by Sundancer
RCG Plus Member
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 15, 2012, 10:18 PM
Sic itur ad Astra
United Arab Emirates, Abu Dhabi, Abu Dhabi
Joined Aug 2009
1,603 Posts
Good progress Colonel. I'm also enjoying reading your log.

Don't be too hard on yourself, the U/C seems to be turning out well!

For wing dowels on these small planes, I have recently used bamboo skewer sticks. They are not as round as dowel, but reasonably light and strong, and they only cost a quid for a bagful!
sparks
sparks59 is offline Find More Posts by sparks59
Old Jul 16, 2012, 03:22 PM
So I'M meant to be in control?
Ilkley, West Yorkshire, UK
Joined Nov 2008
3,550 Posts
Thanks for your kind words, gentlemen.....it's much appreciated!!

Soldered up the second u/c leg this evening - unfortunately the 'axle' parts are not in line so I will need to apply a bit of brute force and ignorance to them. I seem to have got to the point that I have heard in the world of full size homebuilt aircraft - 90% done, only 90% left to do!! I am also starting to get some sideways looks from Lady Blink; presumably partly because of the number of times I am scooting up to the loft.....and partly because she spends so much of her time horizontal and calling for another large Pimm's.

And thanks to sparks, I have taken custody of a bag of Bill Morrison's finest kebab skewers - 100 for less than one Great British Pound (ie 99p).

I also collared our Health & Safety chap for some dust masks today - I have found that my sensitivity to balsa dust is getting far worse than expected - now the slightest wipe of sandpaper can make me sneeze the roof off, and any half serious shaping will have me wheezing all night
Colonel Blink is offline Find More Posts by Colonel Blink
Old Jul 16, 2012, 03:33 PM
South-west France
Joined Sep 2007
4,636 Posts
It's always the fiddly bits that take the time Colonel. Looking on the bright side, if you do have a balsa dust allergy, a model like the Ajax, all sticks, is the best one to build, no vast areas of sheet or huge chunks of block to produce shed loads of dust. I don't get any funny looks from Mrs Sundancer when I disappear into what currently passes for a workshop, she says that she at least knows where I am and that I am not "up to anything"! But I do make sure that I provide her with an opened and nicely chilled bottle of vin blanc before decamping.
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 17, 2012, 03:15 PM
Joined Nov 2008
3,550 Posts
Well, the undercarriage still only counts as 'just about acceptable' but throwing some wheels on it and wheelbarrowing it across the carpet seems to indicate a reasonably straight track - so I'll stop whilst the going is good. Added the wing dowels this evening, and then..................well, I had resisted it for too long!
Old Jul 17, 2012, 03:24 PM
Ajax, Ontario, Canada
Joined Oct 2004
2,574 Posts
"wheelbarrowing" ..... I love that description!

Nice work, Blink!
Applehoney is offline Find More Posts by Applehoney
Old Jul 17, 2012, 03:59 PM
Joined May 2009
572 Posts
For working in "half hour interludes" you've accomplished a lot. And on top of that, what you've done looks great! Very nice, Colonel!!

David
cd_webb is offline Find More Posts by cd_webb
Old Jul 17, 2012, 04:29 PM
South-west France
Joined Sep 2007
4,636 Posts
Definitely a proper Ajax Colonel. Pretty damn good!
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 19, 2012, 07:53 AM
Joined Nov 2008
3,550 Posts
Ta very muchly, all - I must admit that I'm reasonably pleased so far!!

'This week, Oi have been mainly a-soldering' - just getting the same connectors on the ESC as Lipo, and making up adapters to my normal XT60 connectors for charging and so that I can check the system with my Wattmeter...

Question for all you learnèd jellyspoons out there - what are your favourite hatch retention methods? I will need two on the Ajax - one will be on the underside of the nose, as I am intending the ESC & Rx to go within the sheeted first bay of the fuz to counterbalance the two servos right down the ar...sorry....back end, and another under the centre of the fuz just behind the u/c for access to the Lipo.....
Old Jul 19, 2012, 08:53 AM
RFJ
Northern Ireland
Joined Dec 2004
1,551 Posts
Quote:
what are your favourite hatch retention methods
Magnets

Ray
RFJ is offline Find More Posts by RFJ
Old Jul 19, 2012, 09:03 AM
South-west France
Joined Sep 2007
4,636 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colonel Blink View Post

Question for all you learnèd jellyspoons out there - what are your favourite hatch retention methods? ..
No contest Colonel - it has to be magnets. I tend to use a little ply lip or dowel at the front, depending on the hatch configuration, and a magnet or magnets at the back. Get your magnets from www.first4magnets.com - thousands of different types available, I use the 5 mm diameter ones and am well into my second batch of 50 now. I also use 'em for the nose cowlings, with a cut-out which locates over the 1/16" ply motor mount square to provided side-to-side registry. Taking my courage in both hands I also used two at the back of the Sportster wing with a dowel at the front - extremely neat and so far the wing hasn't fallen off despite my best efforts to dislodge it. Drill a 5 mm dia hole and stick them in with CA. NB: make sure you get them the right way round, it is quite disconcerting to have your hatch fired across the room when you try to fit it. How do I know.......??

These little magnets are amazingly strong, I have also used them to fit custom made fly screens (essential in summer here) to all our windows including Velux type ones.
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 19, 2012, 09:28 AM
Joined Nov 2008
3,550 Posts
Thanks! Thought that would be the case, but was concerned about weight - but looking at the link that George posted, they are very light after all. And the 5mm x 3mm ones [F640] are currently on a '3 for 2' offer - but as I cant really justify £14 on 75 magnets, I'll probably just buy 25........
Old Jul 19, 2012, 11:10 AM
Sic itur ad Astra
Joined Aug 2009
1,603 Posts
I buy small magnetic 'mushrooms' from the Daiso Japanese oddment shop. They cost about a pound for a bag of about 10. I squeeze with the pliers and the little powerful magnet is released. Cheap, effective and most importantly, available locally!

sparks
Last edited by sparks59; Jul 19, 2012 at 11:11 AM. Reason: typo!
Old Jul 21, 2012, 03:52 PM
Joined Nov 2008
3,550 Posts
OK then, magnets have been ordered as have the mylar, Esaki Liteflite and Balsaloc......... oooooh, me poor wallet!!!

I've spent the odd session this week fuz furtling - reinforcing the screw areas for the servos, sheeting in the nose, making a hatch for the underside of the nose for access to the ESC.....

I now believe that the Rx can go further back than I had originally thought; I can't be sure exactly where at the moment because I have found that all the BA screws I have are too big for mounting the motor, so I've also had to order some M2 screws & nuts (I have ordered both steel and nylon - I may use the nylon as a further 'crumple zone'). These should arrive in a few days time.

Without the motor on the front, it's a bit difficult to ascertain where to nail the other hardware for balance.. Also, there is no CG marked on the plan - I'm assuming it should be somewhere around about the main spar???? Also I'm assuming that I should get the bare fuz/empennage to balance a bit nose heavy on the grounds that there will be more covering behind the CG than in front - or do you experienced chaps have some other secret piece of trickery you can let us in on?????

The build seems to have slowed slightly at the moment; but it'll seem to race on again once the covering starts......ulp!
Last edited by Colonel Blink; Jul 23, 2012 at 12:31 AM.
Old Jul 21, 2012, 09:39 PM
Sic itur ad Astra
Joined Aug 2009
1,603 Posts
Colonel, I usually check the centre of gravity without exploding any grey cells, by popping the measurements into the boxes at the following page link

http://adamone.rchomepage.com/cg_calc.htm

sparks