HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 25, 2012, 01:37 AM
scratch-built
United States, WA, Port Orchard
Joined Apr 2007
1,001 Posts
Thanks mmatrix00,

The stock antenna is stranded, Evidently using a solid wire is beneficial for increasing the range. Going from 4' to 130' is quite a improvement. The 54" antenna that I put on mine is stranded wire. I think I've got a roll of solid wire around the shop, So I'll try that on the S033G.

I've got a new pcb and motors coming for the S033G, They are supposed to be here Monday.

What's weird to me is the fact that the Heli flew fine for the first 5 or 6 flights, Then started having signal fades. That progressed into full signal loss and that's when I quit flying it.

I've got some Heli's on 2.4Ghz, That's what I'm flying at the present. I really would like to get the S033G to where I could trust it again. Maybe the new pcb and long antenna wire will cure the signal loss problem. I've got my fingers crossed.

J
Jim Lee is offline Find More Posts by Jim Lee
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 28, 2012, 11:17 AM
United Kingdom, Scotland, Argyll and Bute
Joined Oct 2012
707 Posts
s033g signal drops

Hi, still waiting for my 2.4ghz dh9118 pcb but the new 27mhz one arrived and new motors. Flew two batteries worth today and she's back on power. Odd that the last motors only lasted half the flights of the previous ones?? Had 2 signal drops resulting in 25-30 foot falls, but the great thing about these is they're built like brick sh-t houses and can take huge amounts of abuse.Does using single core cable definitly stop this?Just need to pop the floats on now and see if she can lift them ok. Are the s33's behaving guys?
drambuidhe is online now Find More Posts by drambuidhe
Old Nov 28, 2012, 12:41 PM
scratch-built
Joined Apr 2007
1,001 Posts
Hi drambuidhe,
I got my new pcb and motors for the S033G, But haven't done anything with them .
I've been fighting a severe sinius infection, So Haven't got anything done. I'm goiing to try putting a solid core wire on the S033G and see if that helps. I thought that while I had it apart, I might as well do it.

It's good to hear that you have the S033G back in the air, What's not so good to hear is that it's still dropping signal. I hope that when you get the new DH9118 pcb, That you will be able to get it to work properly.

The S33 just keeps on chugging along. nary a whimper out of it. Same with the DH9118.
I took advantage of the Black Friday sales and bought a couple more Heli's on 2.4Ghz.
Now I'm waiting for the Christmas sales. LOL (yeah, Like I need any more Helicopters)

Have you ever thought about using the packing tubes that is sometimes used in shipping packages for floats.
The next time I get a package that has them I'll save some and try them as floats. They wouldn't weigh hardly anything, But I don't know if they would support the weight of the Heli.

I've seen video's of ziploc bags being used as floats, But they weren't very pretty to look at, Altho if they do the job, I guess that's all that matters.

J
Old Nov 28, 2012, 03:17 PM
United Kingdom, Scotland, Argyll and Bute
Joined Oct 2012
707 Posts
Hi Jim, glad to hear the s33 seems good.It seems 2.4 is a must. I did briefly try flying with the floats but think my battery was quite low by then. It does seem to manage better but will try on recharged one tomorrow. They are made of 3 redbull cans glued together on each side , joined by 2 aluminium spars. They are extremely light individually but it all adds up to about 100g. The 6 cans float the heli perfectly and with great stability so you really do need 6 of them.I'll give it a go with the camera on and try a water landing!Will be interested to hear how the aerial mod goes on your 33g.
drambuidhe is online now Find More Posts by drambuidhe
Old Nov 29, 2012, 06:42 PM
DWTRIAC23
United States, MA, North Andover
Joined Feb 2012
173 Posts
Redbull cans? Awesome idea!!!
I got a new battery for my S33 but have not had time to try it yet. It is dark when I get out of work, hopefully this weekend.
dwtriac23 is offline Find More Posts by dwtriac23
Old Dec 02, 2012, 11:49 AM
DWTRIAC23
United States, MA, North Andover
Joined Feb 2012
173 Posts
Took my S33 for a test flight with a new Sky Lipo 7.4v 1600mAh 30c battery and it is doing the same thing my S033G used to do, dropping out of the sky. I did 2 flights one with the new battery and one with the stock battery. With the new battery it happened 3-4 times where it lost power, dropped and regained power right before it hit the ground, it only happened twice with the stock battery. I was thinking it may be interference from nearby power wires so I moved to another location but that did not help. If Jim Lee is not having any problems with his I may try replacing the PCB board hoping I just have a defect. I would be interested to know if anyone else is having any problems with the new S33.
dwtriac23 is offline Find More Posts by dwtriac23
Old Jan 14, 2013, 01:56 PM
oregoncoast
United States, OR, Rockaway Beach
Joined Jan 2012
122 Posts
Alot of good info here on this site. I have had the same problem with the "signal loss". Just a few questions. First, can you use the the 2.4 DH9118 pcb on the S033g? If so that would be great!!!! If not, then does the length of the ant. wire work? Or maybe a new pcb. Any insight would be helpful.
oregoncoast is offline Find More Posts by oregoncoast
Old Jan 14, 2013, 02:53 PM
scratch-built
Joined Apr 2007
1,001 Posts
s033g signal drops

oregoncoast,

Check out this Thread on RCG, s033g -27mhz to 2.4ghz

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1763061

Drambuidhe and I have both successfully converted the S033G from 27MHz to 2.4GHz. The only downside is that there is about a 10% power loss. In my opinion it's worth the trade off. I'd rather have a little less power and a more reliable radio system.

All of the mods that we did are in the thread that I've posted.

J
Old Jan 14, 2013, 04:19 PM
oregoncoast
Joined Jan 2012
122 Posts
Thank you for the link. Very good info. It would be interesting to find out if the S33 pcb is a "plug and play" as my solderig skills are, well, to give you an idea, if I had to solder another new ant., on to the heli, I won't have to do the battery forward mod:-)...Gonna look around for the S33 pcb and Tx. Here is link to some videos I took earlier this year...
http://www.youtube.com/user/js132363?feature=mhee
Old Jan 14, 2013, 04:29 PM
oregoncoast
Joined Jan 2012
122 Posts
Jim....thankyou for info on the conversion thread. also I found this sight for S33 parts....

http://feala.com/syma_s33_2.4g_RC_he...pare_parts.htm
Old Jan 14, 2013, 06:15 PM
oregoncoast
Joined Jan 2012
122 Posts
In one of the threads here, it was mentioned on the length of the antenna, and it works with 27mhz. When replacing mine with 18 gauge wire, I noticed that the original antena was almost 20". So going 3 times that would make a difference?? Right now I am hanging the wire straight down from the heli. Seems to work most of the time. I should also mention that I have wifi in the house, but I don't think that is the problem...
Old Jan 14, 2013, 07:59 PM
scratch-built
Joined Apr 2007
1,001 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by oregoncoast View Post
Thank you for the link. Very good info. It would be interesting to find out if the S33 pcb is a "plug and play" as my solderig skills are, well, to give you an idea, if I had to solder another new ant., on to the heli, I won't have to do the battery forward mod:-)...Gonna look around for the S33 pcb and Tx. Here is link to some videos I took earlier this year...
I think that the s33 pcb would be a direct replacement. I have both the s033g and the s33. It looks like to me they just changed to the 2.4GHz radio because fliers were having so much trouble with the 27MHz dropping signal.

I allready have that hobby shop in my favorites, Their prices are a bit stout for my tastes, I bought my s33 from xHeli when they had them in stock for less than Fifty dollars. They want Fifty dollars for just the pcb and Tx and double that for the complete s33, then you have to add shipping from China.

The best arrangement for the 27MHz antenna wire that I have read about was drambuidhes, he drilled a small hole in the front of the canopy and ran the antenna through it and then attached a small weight to the end of it. I've seen his video of it flying with this arrangement, (It's posted here in one of the threads, but I don't remember which one) I'm not sure if he extended the length of the antenna wire or not.

I tried doing a 54" antenna run in the same place as the orginal and coiled around its self, but it didn''t solve the signal loss problem.

I'll add a photo of the wiring for the s33, so if you do decide to get the s33pcb and tx you will be able to plug the wiring in the right sockets. The empty socket at the front left of the pcb (looking from the back of the heli) is for the canopy led.

The empty socket on the right front of the pcb came that way from the factory, There wasn't anything plugged into it.

J
Old Jan 14, 2013, 10:22 PM
Joined Feb 2011
27 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by oregoncoast View Post
Oregoncoast,
That was a wonderful video "highest flight 011213." Were you flying the Syma S033G? Or was it a different heli?
Sailor107 is offline Find More Posts by Sailor107
Old Jan 14, 2013, 10:34 PM
oregoncoast
Joined Jan 2012
122 Posts
Sailor107....that was filmed with my Esky Big Lama cam ship. here is the link to my vid with the S033G....you will note the signal loss and recovery as well as the crash and taking off again...this is one tough bird...

S033G High flight and crash and fly again (4 min 9 sec)
Last edited by oregoncoast; Jan 14, 2013 at 10:34 PM. Reason: forgot the link
Old Jan 15, 2013, 11:55 AM
oregoncoast
Joined Jan 2012
122 Posts
Jim, thanks for the pics. Ordered S33 pcb and Tx. Got it all for $50.00 including shipping. Your pics will help alot. Looks like I might have to change out battery connectors, but should not be a problem....