SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Dec 21, 2011, 03:21 PM
Administrator
United States, TN, Nashville
Joined Mar 2002
11,394 Posts
Discussion
Podcast #10 - FPV and the History of Electric RC

This month's podcast starts out with an interview with the man that electrified our hobby and then morphes into an FPV showcase. There is a lot of "good stuff" this month!

Jim Martin talks about the early days of Hobby Lobby. Learn about the man that electrified the hobby and changed it forever. Also, there is a story at the end of the interview you are going to want to hear...really.

Matt Gunn talks about his latest review of the Fat Shark FPV goggles and the Range Video RVOSD5.

Jason Cole talks about quad copters, goggles and something pretty exciting coming from Hobby Lobby. We also talk about the GoPro camera and more.

Chris Klick from Ritewing RC talks about the Zephyr, the performance workhorse for FPV UAV and AP. Chris also talks about what is coming for 2012.
Jim T. Graham is online now Find More Posts by Jim T. Graham
Administrator
Last edited by Jim T. Graham; Dec 22, 2011 at 10:55 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 21, 2011, 04:42 PM
Administrator
Joined Mar 2002
11,394 Posts
Jim Martin:

Fat Shark Goggles:

Jason's eRC Quad:

Quad Rotor Drone Flight using eRC Gear (4 min 0 sec)

RitewingRC:

Ritewing ZII Geared setup speed passes (2 min 51 sec)
Administrator
Old Dec 27, 2011, 08:46 PM
Waiting for the paint to dry.
Pasadena Maryland
Joined Oct 2009
1,233 Posts
It would be cool if you put a small player in the main log in screen as you guys get them ready and let them play.
ctrout is offline Find More Posts by ctrout
Old Jan 06, 2012, 04:24 AM
Joined Mar 2011
547 Posts
Quad Rotor Dron film is excellent quality thanks for sharing.
papabearflying is offline Find More Posts by papabearflying
Old Jan 06, 2012, 05:15 AM
Land O' Lakes, FL
Joined Aug 2003
898 Posts
What's with the echo effect on the audio? Sounds like you're in the bottom of a barrel. Hard to listen to.
sailr is offline Find More Posts by sailr
Old Jan 06, 2012, 05:51 AM
London RC Project
London
Joined Apr 2009
357 Posts
cool! Just what I needed to kick-start the year at work! Many thanks - mentioned on our London RC Project blog, as usual, too!

---
BrotherBloat
London RC Project
www.rc-forc3.com
BrotherBloat is offline Find More Posts by BrotherBloat
Old Jan 06, 2012, 09:30 AM
Can we lift the embargo?
menands flats, NY
Joined Dec 2006
1,615 Posts
Is there a link to the old Podcasts?? THanks !
kenstogie is offline Find More Posts by kenstogie
Old Jan 06, 2012, 11:10 AM
Suspended Account
United States, FL, Pompano Beach
Joined Oct 2011
1,425 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim T. Graham View Post
This month's podcast starts out with an interview with the man that electrified our hobby and then morphes into an FPV showcase. There is a lot of "good stuff" this month!

Jim Martin talks about the early days of Hobby Lobby. Learn about the man that electrified the hobby and changed it forever. Also, there is a story at the end of the interview you are going to want to hear...really.

Matt Gunn talks about his latest review of the Fat Shark FPV goggles and the Range Video RVOSD5.

Jason Cole talks about quad copters, goggles and something pretty exciting coming from Hobby Lobby. We also talk about the GoPro camera and more.

Chris Klick from Ritewing RC talks about the Zephyr, the performance workhorse for FPV UAV and AP. Chris also talks about what is coming for 2012.
Robert and Roland Boucher invented electric flight. Jim Martin may have capitolized on the idea, please don't NBC us with propaganda. Thanks
zeroback is offline Find More Posts by zeroback
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Jan 06, 2012, 11:38 AM
Administrator
Joined Mar 2002
11,394 Posts
Quote:
It would be cool if you put a small player in the main log in screen as you guys get them ready and let them play.
That would be cool. Maybe Mike K. or Brad can create something like that.

Quote:
What's with the echo effect on the audio? Sounds like you're in the bottom of a barrel. Hard to listen to.
My download did not sound that way to me. I will download it again and take another listen.

Quote:
Quad Rotor Dron film is excellent quality thanks for sharing.
Thanks for listening.

Quote:
cool! Just what I needed to kick-start the year at work! Many thanks - mentioned on our London RC Project blog, as usual, too!
Thanks for the mention and listening!

Quote:
Is there a link to the old Podcasts?? THanks !
You can find them on iTunes or here:
http://www.rcgroups.com/official-rcgroups-podcast-721/

Quote:
Robert and Roland Boucher invented electric flight. Jim Martin may have capitolized on the idea, please don't NBC us with propaganda. Thanks
Jim Martin made a point to say that Bob Boucher invented electric flight in the podcast as well as in my interview for Model Aviation magazine (keep your eye out for that). While Jim Martin certainly wasn't the singular source of electric flight I do feel that through Hobby Lobby he made it accessible to the public as a viable power source. I do think a lot of what we fly today has a lot to do with the marketing of electric flight by Jim Martin.

Thanks to everyone that has taken time out to listen to the podcast. We appreciate it!
Administrator
Old Jan 09, 2012, 11:03 AM
Electric Columnist
Fuquay Varina, NC
Joined Dec 2000
759 Posts
Very cool to hear Jim talk about Hobby Lobby years ago. I remember getting to know him before we even had brushless motors :-) Jim had the best gearboxes and components to make our 7-cell brushed motor setups work.

I also got a kick out of hearing him talk about Jim Bourke getting started. You're right, guys laughed at Jim B when he tried to talk up Ezone at Toledo. He may not like me saying this, but Jim Bourke slept on my motel room floor when he was trying to get started and he didn't have a place to stay at Toledo :-) He's come a long ways since then!

Fun trip down memory lane.

Greg
Greg Gimlick is offline Find More Posts by Greg Gimlick
Old Jan 09, 2012, 12:53 PM
Administrator
Joined Mar 2002
11,394 Posts
Greg
I have fond memories of my time at Hobby Lobby. We would stay after work and fly helis between the stock bins, drive our RC cars in the parking lot before work, go to the field with the whole staff once a week, traveling together to the trade shows. The first real RC event I ever went to was SEFF. Good times! I still have lunch occasionally with some the guys I worked with back then.
Administrator
Old Jan 12, 2012, 01:42 PM
AMA 951 since 1958
USA, FL, Newberry
Joined Nov 2000
1,419 Posts
Re: Jim Martin's interview podcast.

Jim said the thought Bob Boucher was the real inventor of electric flight and may have had a patent on it. That's true.
Patent 3,957,230 May 18, 1976.

Great trip through history, thanks to the Jims for bringing it to us.
Red Scholefield is online now Find More Posts by Red Scholefield
Old Jan 16, 2012, 06:23 AM
All under control, Grommit!
United Kingdom, Aberdeen
Joined Sep 2000
12,588 Posts
Hmmmmm, that patent for the invention of the first electric powered radio controlled model aeroplane in 1975 warrants a bt of further investigation.

For instance Col. Taplin flew a radio controlled electric powered Radio Queen in 1957.

http://www.iroquois.free-online.co.uk/hist.htm

Maybe he just didn't bother to send in a patent application.
leccyflyer is offline Find More Posts by leccyflyer
Last edited by leccyflyer; Jan 16, 2012 at 06:34 AM. Reason: Typo
Old Jan 21, 2012, 02:56 PM
Germany, BY, Gräfelfing
Joined Jan 2003
432 Posts
Hi,
1959 Fred Militky Mad Some of his First electric powered flys and Graupner Producer the First comercial available Electric powered modelplane the Silentius.

http://www.modellflugsport.ch/upload.../Silentius.pdf .
Christian Lucas is offline Find More Posts by Christian Lucas
Old Jan 30, 2012, 07:59 PM
Canada, ON, Pickering
Joined Nov 2006
675 Posts
Notice it was US patent only, Europe was already there, I had my first working electric plane in 1971 we made from rewound slotcar motor on a single channel, I copied the idea I saw in a older German magazine. There was lots of experiments around then. Graupner was already selling a geared airplane motor also about the same time.There is always somebody that wants a patent but it was never enforceable and he certainly was not even close to being first, it just gave more advertizing to, then fledgling Astroflight company. He was, however, the first manufacturer in the US that made strong enough direct drive motors for 20 to 40 size planes and sold it as a complete system. He does get a lot of credit for pretty good motors at the time, I still have 2 new Astro 25's and my original Astro 05 from that time.
ddruck is online now Find More Posts by ddruck
Last edited by ddruck; Jan 30, 2012 at 08:16 PM.