HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Aug 30, 2012, 06:10 PM
Joined Jun 2008
131 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by CW4 View Post
So Jan posted a photo of his frames that came with his Apache. Mine appear to be different. I will need to dremel out an opening for my Scorpion HK-4025 550 motor.

Jan -- did your frames come with that giant opening for the motor, or did you have to cut it out yourself? It looks like your frames shipped that way. Thanks.
My frames look identical to yours. Jan's frame is defiantly not the same as ours. His looks better to be honest. I had to cut mine out. wasn't too difficult.

Did yours come with hellfire missles and the machine gun. I did not get a machine gun on mine.

here are pics of the x blade I made thx you Patrick. CW4 for his inspirational pictures.

the gear pushes against one side and the collar holds it from sliding on the other inner side. it doesn't hit the torque gear. The gear is just ca glued on for now. It seems pretty worthy to me.
buddertoast is offline Find More Posts by buddertoast
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 30, 2012, 06:13 PM
Joined Jun 2008
131 Posts
Jan did you have a mesh issue with your under main gear? Mine seems to be too tight.
Old Aug 30, 2012, 06:24 PM
CW4
Joined Aug 2012
69 Posts
budder: I'll double-check my box, but I'm fairly certain I saw the 30mm cannon kit in there when I looked it over after it arrived. I definitely remember seeing the hellfire missle kit.

And I agree. Jan's frames are definitely different from ours. The ones we have are the same ones I got with my 600 size UH-1. I'm running a 3025-1400kv on 6S in it though, so no cutting was required.

Back to the tail shaft, 2 questions:
1) How did you remove the gear from the stock 600 tail shaft?
2) Does that collar sit up next to the gear? I'm a little confused by the pics. Any chance you could snap a pick of what it looks like in the tail case?

Thanks budder.
-Patrick
CW4 is offline Find More Posts by CW4
Old Aug 30, 2012, 08:56 PM
Joined Jun 2008
131 Posts
Quote:
budder: I'll double-check my box, but I'm fairly certain I saw the 30mm cannon kit in there when I looked it over after it arrived. I definitely remember seeing the hellfire missle kit.

And I agree. Jan's frames are definitely different from ours. The ones we have are the same ones I got with my 600 size UH-1. I'm running a 3025-1400kv on 6S in it though, so no cutting was required.

Back to the tail shaft, 2 questions:
1) How did you remove the gear from the stock 600 tail shaft?
2) Does that collar sit up next to the gear? I'm a little confused by the pics. Any chance you could snap a pick of what it looks like in the tail case?

Thanks budder.
-Patrick
Man I wish I could for you, but the way I have the xblade tail on now, if I remove it from the case, I will have to spend endless hours again getting it strait and even.

Looking at the case from the back of the heli, the left side is secure by the gear pressing against the bearing in the left side of the inside of the casing. the collar presses against the inner right side bearing of the case. this prevents the shaft from moving from left to right and vise versa. it locks the shaft in the casing.

I removed the gear with a set of vise grips wrapped around the shaft pressing against the inner side (stronger side, the part were there is more plastic) and then hit the shaft with a strait allen wrench and hammer to hit the shaft off the gear. so your pushing the shaft through the gear from the short end of the shaft, the shaft has a thicker part to it, preventing the gear from going the other way, so you cant push it the other way. it was painless. just be careful not to break the gear or hit the gear with anything.

I have some shaft left over on the left side I will have to cut off or I'm sure it will hit the fuse in some way.

I'll take a pic of the heli mechanics in the new frames with my cutting job. I had 2 esp kits at one point. the linkages that were used for the elevator were perfect for the servo to swash linkages. and can you take a picture of your gun for me. They have not responded to my email yet. I might have to call them. I didn't get my free tool set that was promised either. boooooooo

In the process of doing the landing gears. Jan these instructions aren't very detailed. wish I had more to work with. but hey, there better than nothing, so no complaints. Do you have the same manual Patrick?

thanks, hope that helped.
Buddy
Old Aug 30, 2012, 09:36 PM
CW4
Joined Aug 2012
69 Posts
Thanks Buddy. I had forgotten that you have your cncheli x-tail installed in the tail case now. No worries. I understand now how the collar works. That's pretty much what I was thinking --thanks for the explanation.

I figured I'd have to tap the shaft through that gear to get it off. Sounds pretty simple so I'll give that a try.

Did you just use medium or thick CA glue to hold the gear on the new shaft? At the speed in which that gear will be turning along with the pressure on it from the torque tube gear, I still worry about the glue letting go and losing control of the tail. I'm not ready to even think about an autorotation should something like that happen.

My fuse is still packed in its box down in the basement. I'll try to get down there in a bit and dig out the cannon and get some pics for you.

Yes -- that is the same manual I have. I had to hunt on the web for it too. Believe it or not, it's MUCH better than the UH-1 manual. I had to figure out a lot of stuff on my own building that bird. At least with the Apache there are some fantastic build threads (like this one)
Old Aug 30, 2012, 11:10 PM
Joined Jun 2008
131 Posts
I used medium CA glue. you could grind the shaft up where the gear goes.... that would def help holding it along with the glue.

here are some pics of the new frame with my new electrics. see were i cut the frame and bottom. it's going inside a fuse, so I wasn't worried about looks and cleaning it up. I did smooth it all out. I had to drill the motor mount holes bigger as this motor takes 4mm screws...

Jan, this is were the gear is not meshing nicely??\

and if anyone wants this belt and gear, just paypal me shipping fee's and its yours. I will never use it.

and is this the front gun? if so, how in the heck does this o together

Last edited by buddertoast; Aug 30, 2012 at 11:17 PM.
Old Aug 31, 2012, 02:07 AM
kin
Joined Sep 2007
3,211 Posts
hope this file can help you !
kin is offline Find More Posts by kin
RCG Plus Member
Old Aug 31, 2012, 02:59 AM
Joined Mar 2012
222 Posts
and is this the front gun? if so, how in the heck does this o together

[/QUOTE]

Hey buddy, thats one of the most fun parts, making the gun. you get to go to town on it if you like. or, alternatively, just get the same one i just got recently. theres pics on my apache build page showing the gun build. its very simple. you can dl the pdf from tf/smart models.
JayNZ is offline Find More Posts by JayNZ
Old Aug 31, 2012, 03:16 AM
Joined Mar 2012
222 Posts
how does the outer set of blade grips get connected to the inner set of blade grips on this awesome looking apache tail rotor design guys? i must have missed this part of the thread?
JayNZ is offline Find More Posts by JayNZ
Old Aug 31, 2012, 03:46 AM
The Netherlands, FR
Joined Aug 2008
627 Posts
Quote:
So Jan posted a photo of his frames that came with his Apache. Mine appear to be different. I will need to dremel out an opening for my Scorpion HK-4025 550 motor.

Jan -- did your frames come with that giant opening for the motor, or did you have to cut it out yourself? It looks like your frames shipped that way. Thanks.
Hi,

I have got it that way as on the photo? you have a real other one.

Here some other photo at that time,

This the stock Align motor later I need to grind out more room at the sides for the 700 unknown brand 600KV motor from Smartmodels.
Maybe TFmodels feels to use a other frame with the kit.
At that time I have purchased the kit from Smartmodels.

Jan,
Horseman is offline Find More Posts by Horseman
Last edited by Horseman; Aug 31, 2012 at 04:04 AM. Reason: Wrong answer corrected it
Old Aug 31, 2012, 03:51 AM
The Netherlands, FR
Joined Aug 2008
627 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayNZ View Post
how does the outer set of blade grips get connected to the inner set of blade grips on this awesome looking apache tail rotor design guys? i must have missed this part of the thread?
Hi I post the answer of the frames and there is a entire page showed up between the time I see and answer??

LOL LOL
Old Aug 31, 2012, 07:20 AM
CW4
Joined Aug 2012
69 Posts
Quote:
Hi Jay,

Check out page 15 of this thread. I posted a bunch of pics of the tail. Basically, the tail hubs are joined with Trex 450 ball links.

Patrick
Old Aug 31, 2012, 03:55 PM
The Netherlands, FR
Joined Aug 2008
627 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by buddertoast View Post
Jan did you have a mesh issue with your under main gear? Mine seems to be too tight.
Hi Buddy,

No I did not have any trouble.

Jan,
Old Aug 31, 2012, 08:26 PM
Joined Jun 2008
131 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kin View Post
hope this file can help you !
Perfect. Thanks a million.
Old Sep 01, 2012, 01:59 PM
The Netherlands, FR
Joined Aug 2008
627 Posts
Hello all,

After the photo's and explaining from Partick I build my X tail for the Apache.

I have used the front gear unit

and uses a rubber hammer to dismount the crown gear,

Push out the lock pin,

The result,

I have used a 450 main and just glued the crown gear with thin CA.

and just just stock 450 links and 600 parts, only the stroke of both rotors are not the same due the fact that the push rods in between the two rotors are not linear at the shaft, I have set the both rotor blades sets even with zero pitch.

This morning I have test run it in our garden and all works well,

So this afternoon I wend to the flying field and try it in flight with turbulent wind , never fly with the Apache in this wind and with a new tail so to be honest I had cold feets
But I spool her up and there she go's, a bit more noise and less direct response on the tail but nothing to worry about till

With incoming for the landing after 7 minutes the tail loses grip a grinding noise was barking and the heli starts to spin, because the turbilent wind I had already armed the horizontal mode of the Helicommand to help me with landing so that device kept the heli horizontal when I put her down in the long grass and fuhrer no problem

My firt thought was that the crown gear what I glued was became lose
But with the first check it was al right in the tail, but my front torque gear from Align was shredded and when at home it was melted ???

Why I don't know the only thing I can tell is that I greased all the gears but not this one.

The helicommand saves the day again, but I'm getting a bit frussratted by this shredding torque tube gears.
And I now thinking to go for the BlackHawk to use a electro motor and leave the torque tube alone.

Regards,

Jan,