SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Feb 25, 2012, 09:24 PM
Thermal, where art thou?
Joined Oct 2005
2,675 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wave Glider View Post
Glad you like it Alan, go kick some AZ butt with this thing!
Rest assured, he is ....

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...&postcount=225

BavarianCharles is offline Find More Posts by BavarianCharles
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 25, 2012, 09:42 PM
are we there yet?
USA, AZ, Surprise
Joined May 2004
1,237 Posts
Thanks Charles.

Yes the Helios is a great plane! I have never done this well in a contest and with a plane that I only had about 30 throws on before the contest started.

I agree with Beetle-Jet, the CG can go back a little more and would make it better in the conditions I have been flying in. I am still amazed at how well it can move across the sky without loosing much height but yet still slow way down to thermal. once i have my setup dialed I will share.

Big Thanks to Kristof for a great plane!

Alan
Alan C is offline Find More Posts by Alan C
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 25, 2012, 10:51 PM
Joined Feb 2007
703 Posts
Great to hear! Kill it!
NorCal Hobbies is offline Find More Posts by NorCal Hobbies
Old Feb 26, 2012, 03:36 AM
Joined Aug 2009
1,247 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan C View Post
Thanks Charles.

Yes the Helios is a great plane! I have never done this well in a contest and with a plane that I only had about 30 throws on before the contest started.

I agree with Beetle-Jet, the CG can go back a little more and would make it better in the conditions I have been flying in. I am still amazed at how well it can move across the sky without loosing much height but yet still slow way down to thermal. once i have my setup dialed I will share.

Big Thanks to Kristof for a great plane!

Alan

way to go!!
krikkens is online now Find More Posts by krikkens
Old Feb 26, 2012, 05:57 PM
Kyle Clayton
United States, VA, Dinwiddie
Joined Feb 2008
2,395 Posts
Finally got some video of me flying my Helios. I didn't realize how poor the vid quality was and how bad the head mount I had made for the camera was until I reveiwed it lol. The camera is a gen one Go Pro about 4-5 years old, man those things have come a LOOONNGG way since that one. Video cut off and I didnt know until I reveiwed it, so I was standing there flying talking to myself for another 10 minutes or so before I realized I was no longer filming. So, again sorry for the porr quality, but hopefully you guys can get something out of the video!

Helios DLG (6 min 24 sec)
Wave Glider is offline Find More Posts by Wave Glider
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Helios and XXLite DLG
Old Feb 27, 2012, 10:45 PM
Sink? Circling now to confirm.
United States, UT, American Fork
Joined May 2002
16,962 Posts
24 hours until I get my hands on my new Helios! I am crossing my fingers this helps me get back to competing with everyone who has moved on from B3's while I stayed with a B3 for almost a year now.

Cant wait!

I am leary of the pull spring stuff as I have never done that. Has anyone run stainless pushrods in etched teflon. It looks like this could be done on the inside of the fuse with the magnet trick to hold in place while thin CA is dripped down the insides.

Planning on 285's on the tail and DS09 in the wings.

If its a 3 hour build for normal people I am hoping to get it done in under 20, I am a slow builder....... we have a local comp this weekend and I hope to have it ready by then!!!!!!
JONBOYLEMON is offline Find More Posts by JONBOYLEMON
Old Feb 27, 2012, 10:55 PM
Joined Feb 2007
703 Posts
Flew my buddy Scott's today for several hours. This plane is awesome. The saves from 10 feet off the deck were awesome and there is still a ton in this planes tank once we get the setup dialed in. I think B3 drivers will be pleasantly surprised with the upgrade in performance. That and it's a pretty plane to boot. Thanks Kristoff and Kyle! Can't wait to get my full carbon version!
Old Feb 28, 2012, 10:43 AM
Portola, CA
Joined Feb 2011
10 Posts
I finally got my Helios finished. It would figure that the one day John and I get to maiden it, it snows 3". We met in Davis at the SVSS field. It was a lot warmer and nicer. What a great field! The Helios delivered as advertised. Floats well and still ranges. It should get even better after some more adjusting and practice. Thanks again to Kyle and Kristoff.
ScottTomasello is offline Find More Posts by ScottTomasello
Old Feb 28, 2012, 10:54 AM
United States, NC, Raleigh
Joined Sep 2010
764 Posts
3" of snow in Portola? Cool...
NCDLG is offline Find More Posts by NCDLG
Old Feb 28, 2012, 10:59 AM
Sink? Circling now to confirm.
United States, UT, American Fork
Joined May 2002
16,962 Posts
Whats the consensus on the peg? Stock? I have a CR one that would match my B3, and I really like the feel of.

Comments?
JONBOYLEMON is offline Find More Posts by JONBOYLEMON
Old Feb 28, 2012, 11:01 AM
Portola, CA
Joined Feb 2011
10 Posts
Yes, 3". I live at 5000'. I installed the CR peg. It was pretty easy to do and really comfortable to throw.
ScottTomasello is offline Find More Posts by ScottTomasello
Old Feb 28, 2012, 11:03 AM
Joined Feb 2007
703 Posts
Yeah, we out in California have it hard! Actually the weather out west has been a bust this year. Between the severe lack of rain/snow this winter and outrageous gas prices{5.25 a gallon at one Bay Area gas station last week.}, we are screwed. But we had an awesome day of flying!
Old Feb 28, 2012, 11:15 AM
Vlaardingen, The Netherlands
Joined Feb 2004
613 Posts
You feel screwed for paying only $5.25 a gallon.
Imagine how you would feel when you are paying almost €10 a gallon.
Yup, €1.80 a liter here in Holland
Frans Bal is offline Find More Posts by Frans Bal
Old Feb 28, 2012, 12:29 PM
American Exile
Germany, BB, Nauen
Joined Jan 2009
344 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frans Bal View Post
You feel screwed for paying only $5.25 a gallon.
Imagine how you would feel when you are paying almost 10 a gallon.
Yup, 1.80 a liter here in Holland
Ah, but then factor in the exchange rate for the euro versus the dollar, and it's close to $13 a gallon.
xbted is offline Find More Posts by xbted
Old Feb 28, 2012, 01:39 PM
Aurora Builder
United States, MD, Lusby
Joined Nov 2003
3,437 Posts
I saw 1.90 CHF/L in some places, or $8/gallon. Diesel was up at over 2.0 CHF/L, or $8.50/gallon. Good thing I took the train
samc99us is offline Find More Posts by samc99us