My new builds are 10 to 10.1/4 oz on the V2 and V3 and they fly great
rcgeorge is offline Find More Posts by rcgeorge
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 11, 2010, 03:50 PM
Fly Cheap. Fly Hard. Fly Daily
USA, UT, Riverton
Joined Aug 2005
381 Posts
OK, so brainstorming contest ideas and dates (NOTHING is firm yet!). Also I'd like to tour some potential locations for BSOUT before April together to decide where we like it. I very strongly prefer something along the Wasatch Front, as 80% of Utah's population is within a two to three hour drive of each other along the I-15 corridor.

New Year's Day DLG Freeze Fly. Saturday, January 1. Location: Davis/Weber county site selected by locals (Mark? Greg? Jim?). Format: having fun in the cold. Some all-up-last-down rounds, focus on exhibition rather than competition. Potluck lunch, we could use an extra grill or two. Starts 11AM, ends 3PM. Ideally, we want somewhere that gets the parking lot plowed, 'cuz this winter is supposed to be a doozie.

February Fiberglass F3K. Saturday, February 19, 11A-3P. Take your wife or girlfriend -- or both! -- somewhere nice on the 14th so you get this Saturday off! Location TBD, I'll find something in or near Salt Lake County. Format: Five or six rounds of F3K, participant's choice which rounds to use. Scores will be kept for a winner's prize at the end of the year. Lunch: Bratwurst and hot dogs. Bring your favorite spicy or mild sausage to share. And some leftover Valentine's candy for dessert.

Marches & Launches. Saturday, March 19, 11A-3P. Location: Somewhere in Utah County. It's a blustery month, so ballast up, warm up your shoulder, and get ready for a day that's all about launch height. Bring your RAM3, Eagle Tree, or other data loggers and a video camera and prepare to get really sore. It would be awesome if we could bring in an out-of-stater known for launch height to help coach the locals to get ready for BSOUT. Informal F3K rounds only.

We will decide the location for BSOUT in March after flying the 3 potential sites.

Altitude in April. Saturday, April 16, 10A-3P. Location: Whichever site between Weber/Davis, Salt Lake, or Utah counties we decided on for BSOUT.Format: F3K with scoring, as many rounds as we can stomach in preparation for.

May Blue Skies Over Utah. Friday, May 20 through Sunday, May 22 2011. Format: Formal, full F3K with fly-offs. Three-day event. Need to work on getting prizes from local & national hobby vendors over the next few months. (VERY tentative)

Wasatch Hand-Launch Festival. Saturday, June 18 2011, 9A-1P. DLG speed trials, limbo contests, removable towhooks for up-start launches, mini-aerotow, fun-fly format (more research needed on other ideas). Let's have this one some place kind of fun and different: a park, a playground, to reflect the much-less-serious nature of this thing. Buy a bunch of little hand-launch foam gliders to give out to the kids and focus on this being a family event. Maybe a Telemaster with a candy drop even?

DLG Fly July. Saturday, July 15, 9A-1P. After the big May contest followed by the fun & frivolity of our July expo, this is just a quiet day to practice together and talk. July, August, and September are very busy event seasons, and it will be great to hang out with some other DLG folks.

August Ute Warbirds & Expo event, dates TBD (Probably August 19-21, 9A-5P). This is a two-day event. I'd love it if we brought out our DLG team for a couple of demos, one on Saturday, one on Sunday. This should be at the new flying field around 7550 West California Ave. in Salt Lake City.

September 2011: Mini-Soar-Utah. September 3. Mostly for locals, Labor day weekend, do some flying at the Point of the Mountain. If the wind is light, break out our DLGs, if the wind is heavy, break out our slope soarers. Find a site close to the POTM to plan to have a one-day DLG event during Soar Utah 2011 (it only runs once every two years). What about installing lighting on some of our DLGs or slopers and having some night-flying glider action? The thermals will suck at night but the fun factor would be off-the-charts.

October 2011 Zombie DLG. Break out your beat-up, mashed-up DLGs for this event. Prize given for the ugliest flyable DLG.

November 2011 Turkey Shoot. Let's have some fun with F3K and a Thanksgiving-themed dinner at the field.

December 2011 Bah, let's just take the month off. There are way too many club Christmas dinners during this season!

So what do you guys think? Does that look like a fun tentantive 2011 DLG calendar?
redgiki is offline Find More Posts by redgiki
Last edited by redgiki; Nov 11, 2010 at 04:02 PM.
Old Nov 11, 2010, 04:02 PM
USA, UT, Riverton
Joined Aug 2005
381 Posts
Mike made a convincing case to run BSOUT in September this year: more time to prepare, more time to get the word out, more time to line up volunteers, etc. It's the opposite year from Soar Utah, so there won't be any big glider-contest conflicts. All in favor? Any opposed?

If we like September for BSOT, I propose Labor Day weekend because it's a convenient 3-day weekend for a lot of flyers. And let's move our night-fly to May at POTM.
Old Nov 11, 2010, 04:08 PM
The Real J
Ogden, Utah
Joined Nov 2004
4,817 Posts
Isn't Colorado's Event in September?
flyingj is offline Find More Posts by flyingj
Old Nov 11, 2010, 04:16 PM
excelling at mediocrity
Franktown, CO. USA
Joined Mar 2009
3,020 Posts
BSOC 2009 and 2010 were both in August.
gopherhunter is online now Find More Posts by gopherhunter
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Is this guy double jointed?
Old Nov 11, 2010, 04:19 PM
The Real J
Ogden, Utah
Joined Nov 2004
4,817 Posts
What was the DLG Colorado event September 25th or am I just confused?

Hey guys. I love this DLG video...

F3K-DLG Contest in Köln 2009 (8 min 30 sec)
Old Nov 11, 2010, 04:31 PM
Got Thermals???
United States, UT, Roy
Joined Apr 2008
5,209 Posts
They hold local contests in CO monthly. I went mostly to buy a DLG and learn how the competitions are run.
Fishjunky is offline Find More Posts by Fishjunky
Old Nov 11, 2010, 04:44 PM
Mike M.
United States, UT, Eden
Joined Jan 2010
5,032 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by redgiki View Post
OK, so brainstorming contest ideas and dates (NOTHING is firm yet!)...
Wow, nice list Matt! Thanks for doing that. Way to "take the ball and run with it". This is what we need.

Looks good for a first draft. There are some points of discussion we will need to cover, and gather ideas from the rest of the guys.

I picked up a 12V receiver for a PA system today, and am working on some speakers. Same system Philip used at BSOAZ and it worked great.

Here we go!
like.2.fly is online now Find More Posts by like.2.fly
Old Nov 11, 2010, 05:01 PM
USA, UT, Riverton
Joined Aug 2005
381 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by like.2.fly View Post
Wow, nice list Matt! Thanks for doing that. Way to "take the ball and run with it". This is what we need.
It's the way I'm used to doing things with the Ute R/C Association. We define what all of our fun-fly event dates are right in January, publish the calendar, and kind of fill-in-the-blanks with "TBD" if we aren't sure what a given event will be. When there are already some events defined, it makes it much easier, just a game of how to balance what you're doing.

Quote:
Looks good for a first draft. There are some points of discussion we will need to cover, and gather ideas from the rest of the guys.
Barring severe schedule conflicts affecting more than one pilot, I'd love to run with the proposed schedule, and then just modify events as necessary. I think, given that Soar Utah happens on even-numbered years over Labor Day weekend, that BSOUT on that weekend might just be a "lock". It's a very natural extension of an existing schedule.

Some roles we need:
Contest Director: So far, we're planning on me. I've been in the AMA for 8 years, and just printed out the application. We'll want to make one or two of our local events a sanctioned event so we're sure how that goes and can develop our "house rules", if any. It will be fun being the rule-enforcer

"Food Person". This is typically someone with a strong interest in model aviation, but who for one reason or another doesn't feel the need to compete in the contest. He or she keeps the burgers flipping, the hot dogs sizzling, and usually coordinates food donations with a local company (Macey's often comes through for the Utes, but we've been around since 1957. I don't know how well our appeal would play with no established presence!)

Prize coordinator: You know, that guy. Runs around to all the local hobby stores, talks to the managers, establishes bona fides, arranges discounts on prizes we'll buy, markets the show, etc. Mike, what was the prize situation like in BSOAZ? Is there a usual expectation of big prizes at the contest? Or is it all about the points, and a token prize for the winner?

Money Person: He Who Holds The Purse Strings. We'll want to establish a budget for the event:
* Port-a-potty rental
* Site usage fee, if any
* AMA site insurance for the event
* Buying the food, propane, etc.
* whatever else I can't think of at the moment

Registration people

Impound, if any

Host/announcer

Scorekeeper

More I haven't thought of...

Think I ought to make a spreadsheet!
Old Nov 11, 2010, 05:27 PM
Joined Sep 2004
803 Posts
Labor Day in Denver is usually F3J in the rockies. You will not be able to draw the crossover guys away from it on that weekend. You can use that date, you will just loose some attention. BTW just unpacked a new V2 lefty. What a beauty!!!!
JOLOVINS is offline Find More Posts by JOLOVINS
Old Nov 11, 2010, 05:27 PM
hass-alfed and bass-ackwards
United States, AZ, Chandler
Joined Jun 2008
5,297 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by like.2.fly View Post
Hi Tim C.! It was nice meeting you and your dad at BSOAZ, and a pleasure to fly with and time for you. I really enjoyed watching you launch the doodoo out of that Concept. You can flat out chuck that thing, and solidly kicked my butt in the competition. I'm gunning for ya next time though . Hope to see you post here often.
It was a pleasure meeting you and Sam, too. Sorry about that round I timed for you. It was truely the most dissapointing thing about that contest for me. IDK what happened.

Throwing the plane like I hate it is about the only thing I've got going for me right now. As different as our styles are, my launch actually developed from watching Jun's. It's pretty scary to think that I'm THAT uncoordinated!

I'm certain that, with some time on the sticks with a Stobel in the air, your smooth flying will put you well out of my reach. Soon enough, you'll be mixing it up with the Jensen's, MoBros, King Jun, JLo's, and that one other Team USA guy that didn't make it to BSOAZ because he was too busy learning to become a Master Baiter.
carlsoti is offline Find More Posts by carlsoti
Old Nov 11, 2010, 06:07 PM
Got Thermals???
United States, UT, Roy
Joined Apr 2008
5,209 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JOLOVINS View Post
... BTW just unpacked a new V2 lefty. What a beauty!!!!
Now you're just making me jealous
Old Nov 11, 2010, 07:01 PM
The Real J
Ogden, Utah
Joined Nov 2004
4,817 Posts
This is all getting exciting!!! Thanks Matt and Mike for getting it going.
Old Nov 11, 2010, 09:00 PM
Got Thermals???
United States, UT, Roy
Joined Apr 2008
5,209 Posts
Mike & Matt, Thanks for getting us organized. Matt so far your plan seems solid, hopefully we can get some good participation going.
Old Nov 11, 2010, 09:01 PM
Got Thermals???
United States, UT, Roy
Joined Apr 2008
5,209 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingj View Post
What was the DLG Colorado event September 25th or am I just confused?

Hey guys. I love this DLG video...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lbbLaG1dn34
Jeremy, that's a great video. You probably didn't notice but there were several "lefty" pilots