HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Reply
Thread Tools
Old Feb 16, 2015, 05:46 PM
BEOWULF
North vancouver, B.C. Canada
Joined Apr 2008
19,012 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by InFocus View Post
I'll revise what I should have said above..

For those doing FPV tree racing, they would not be considered 'model aircraft', and therefore would fall under these new FAA rules which also apply to commercial UAV flights.


Note: This affects me, because I happen to participate in FPV tree racing from time to time..

Other people dont like you flying further than vlos

Its that simple

Soon local parks etc will have new rules prohibiting all drones

Fly while you can
David22 is offline Find More Posts by David22
Reply With Quote
Sign up now
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 16, 2015, 06:24 PM
Registered User
Joined Nov 2012
1,552 Posts
It is not a goal of mine to fly farther than what I would be capable of seeing.

With FPV tree racing, the courses are generally such that if I looked up from my screen I would be able to see my quad. So in that respect, I am not flying farther than vlos.

Even the FAA NPRM proposed rule makes this distinction.

It is within the rights of a local town or city to make rules preventing drones in public parks.

However, they can not prohibit drones to be flown over my private property.

I'm still flying..
InFocus is offline Find More Posts by InFocus
Reply With Quote
Old Feb 16, 2015, 06:57 PM
BEOWULF
North vancouver, B.C. Canada
Joined Apr 2008
19,012 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by InFocus View Post
It is not a goal of mine to fly farther than what I would be capable of seeing.

With FPV tree racing, the courses are generally such that if I looked up from my screen I would be able to see my quad. So in that respect, I am not flying farther than vlos.

Even the FAA NPRM proposed rule makes this distinction.

It is within the rights of a local town or city to make rules preventing drones in public parks.

However, they can not prohibit drones to be flown over my private property.

I'm still flying..
Sounds like you have no problem unless you fly drones for other than hobby

But dont film your house or land in order to help sell it
Or anything on your private land

One other big catch is you must be like 100 feet away from others to not cause a hazard
So unless your land is over 300 foot by 300 foot square

Commercial use of drones is severly limited in suburban areas do to 100 foot rule
You must stay away from cars , neighbours, dogs and cats by 100 feet at all times
So good luck in suburban areas trying to sell realestate
Unless you have a very large and wealthy client with a very large peice of land
Because you have to stay away from roads and others by 100 feet
David22 is offline Find More Posts by David22
Reply With Quote
Old Feb 18, 2015, 01:18 AM
Gaftopher
Gary Mortimer's Avatar
Nottingham Road South Africa/Bedford UK
Joined Feb 2007
4,057 Posts
The really successful RPAS operators in the rest of the world don't do real estate
Gary Mortimer is offline Find More Posts by Gary Mortimer
Reply With Quote
Old Feb 18, 2015, 01:27 AM
BEOWULF
North vancouver, B.C. Canada
Joined Apr 2008
19,012 Posts
Its just a rule and legally used for all commercial operations

The amount of money being made is irrelevant

Cheers
David22 is offline Find More Posts by David22
Reply With Quote
Old Feb 18, 2015, 05:25 PM
Registered User
United States, CA, Sebastopol
Joined Dec 2010
8,507 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by David22 View Post
...

The amount of money being made is irrelevant

Cheers
Even if the amount is $0 and it's volunteer work done for a non-profit.
erkq is online now Find More Posts by erkq
Reply With Quote
Old Feb 18, 2015, 07:49 PM
Flown There, Crashed That
E.N.'s Avatar
Woodinville, Wa
Joined May 2006
632 Posts
http://www.faa.gov/regulations_polic..._signature.pdf

Edit: Didn't notice this link was shared a couple pages back.
E.N. is offline Find More Posts by E.N.
Reply With Quote
Old Feb 18, 2015, 08:03 PM
Flown There, Crashed That
E.N.'s Avatar
Woodinville, Wa
Joined May 2006
632 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by InFocus View Post

So the 2012 law signed by congress which required hobby use to be 'visual line of sight of the operator' , which the FAA interpreted to mean 'by the operator at all times',
Quote:
Originally Posted by kallend View Post
No blinking allowed!
Unless you are flying commercially. Then they actually allow for that in the NPRM.
"The FAA understands and accepts that this person may lose sight of the unmanned aircraft for brief moments of the operation."

But you have to pay your $200+ certification costs for such luxurious consideration.

It is amazing the difference in tone between the "whaaa, we can't regulate you bozos" document (the notification of special interpretation) and the "we want to make sure you don't misunderstand us" document (NPRM).
E.N. is offline Find More Posts by E.N.
Reply With Quote
Old Feb 22, 2015, 11:45 AM
SoCal
Zr_Flyer's Avatar
Joined Oct 2011
619 Posts
Need to start studying.

The proposed rule would require an applicant to demonstrate knowledge of the following
information to pass an initial aeronautical knowledge written test:
  • applicable regulations relating to small unmanned aircraft system rating privileges,limitations, and flight operation;
  • airspace classification and operating requirements, obstacle clearance requirements, and flight restrictions affecting small unmanned aircraft operation; effects of weather on small unmanned aircraft performance;
  • small unmanned aircraft system configuration management;
  • emergency procedures;
  • crew resource management;
  • radio communication procedures;
  • determining the performance of small unmanned aircraft;
  • physiological effects of drugs and alcohol;
  • aeronautical decision-making and judgment; and
  • airport operations.
Zr_Flyer is online now Find More Posts by Zr_Flyer
Reply With Quote
Old Feb 22, 2015, 02:08 PM
Registered User
United States, CA, Sebastopol
Joined Dec 2010
8,507 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zr_Flyer View Post
Need to start studying.

The proposed rule would require an applicant to demonstrate knowledge of the following
information to pass an initial aeronautical knowledge written test:
  • applicable regulations relating to small unmanned aircraft system rating privileges,limitations, and flight operation;
  • airspace classification and operating requirements, obstacle clearance requirements, and flight restrictions affecting small unmanned aircraft operation; effects of weather on small unmanned aircraft performance;
  • small unmanned aircraft system configuration management;
  • emergency procedures;
  • crew resource management;
  • radio communication procedures;
  • determining the performance of small unmanned aircraft;
  • physiological effects of drugs and alcohol;
  • aeronautical decision-making and judgment; and
  • airport operations.
That's great. Makes sense. So much more appropriate than a PPL. Things in there that are not required for a PPL and that was one of the big objections to the PPL requirement. There are also things you learn for a PPL that are completely useless for SUAS operations... like flying a fixed wing airplane from the pilot's seat. So... I'm happy to see this.
erkq is online now Find More Posts by erkq
Reply With Quote
Old Feb 22, 2015, 06:09 PM
SoCal
Zr_Flyer's Avatar
Joined Oct 2011
619 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by erkq View Post
That's great. Makes sense. So much more appropriate than a PPL. Things in there that are not required for a PPL and that was one of the big objections to the PPL requirement. There are also things you learn for a PPL that are completely useless for SUAS operations... like flying a fixed wing airplane from the pilot's seat. So... I'm happy to see this.

Agreed, also they are targeting a cost of under $300, a lot less than the $6000+ for a PL.

I'm pretty stoked, motivated to get my camera rigs out of mothballs and tuned up.
Zr_Flyer is online now Find More Posts by Zr_Flyer
Reply With Quote
Old Feb 22, 2015, 06:39 PM
Registered User
United States, CA, Sebastopol
Joined Dec 2010
8,507 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zr_Flyer View Post
Agreed, also they are targeting a cost of under $300, a lot less than the $6000+ for a PL.

I'm pretty stoked, motivated to get my camera rigs out of mothballs and tuned up.
Me too, though it'll be a couple of years at least. I'm trying to get my Phobotics controlled Walkera G-3S tuned up to carry my RX100! It's not so easy... But I think I've almost got it.
erkq is online now Find More Posts by erkq
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Category Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Discussion What size RC airplane would be illegal for me to fly? brtlmj Electric Plane Talk 35 Apr 01, 2014 12:36 PM
Discussion **Update** Fixed my busted plane - now it's forgotten how to fly! - Fixed! kenzietech Beginner Training Area (Aircraft-Electric) 7 Apr 05, 2012 08:29 PM
Discussion my, 'fly right now' plane. twin 26 inch bipe nemoskull Scratchbuilt Indoor and Micro Models 2 Mar 14, 2012 06:53 PM
Discussion charger help needed for RC car now/RC plane later Will91 Batteries and Chargers 10 Jul 30, 2010 11:47 AM
Cool A commercial use for RC heli's - Getting paid to fly the lucky people! Bowerz Electric Heli Talk 4 Jun 01, 2010 07:48 PM