HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 06, 2009, 11:53 AM
What just happened??
Idaho Falls, Idaho
Joined Aug 2005
140 Posts
Discussion
Desert Eagles Model Airplane Flying Cub (DEMAFC) Idaho Falls, Id

Hi Steve, Elliot, Bob, Art etc. - I've looked around in the club section and it's apparent that if you want your own club "Forum" you have to do something special because it's not obvious how you would create a club forum. This thread is posted in the open club forum where we can have our own informational thread but not a whole private forum. I think just having one thread that we can all subscribe to will be enough. What do you guys think? By the way my Blizzard is coming today. I wish the guy in the big brown van would get the lead out. :-) I'll post some pictures on this thread when it gets here.
Jim Cole is offline Find More Posts by Jim Cole
Last edited by Jim Cole; Feb 06, 2009 at 10:29 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 06, 2009, 12:22 PM
Idaho Falls, Id
Joined Jun 2003
158 Posts
Hey Jim,

I got a Blizzard last week as well. Really some nice engineering in it. We'll have to compare notes as we go.

Bob
UltraBob is offline Find More Posts by UltraBob
Old Feb 06, 2009, 12:33 PM
What just happened??
Idaho Falls, Idaho
Joined Aug 2005
140 Posts
Steve told me you got one. Thats really cool. It would be fun to compare notes. Have you decided what kind of motor you are going to put in it? I'm going with the little smaller Himax motor recommended in the manual. I think it will still have plenty of power. Mine will be the HC3510-1540. I meant to order the HC3510-1100. Less RPMs per volt but the same weight as the 1540.
Old Feb 06, 2009, 02:58 PM
Idaho Falls, Id
Joined Jun 2003
158 Posts
I've got enough electric stuff to fly that i think i'll just build it for the slope up at kepps. I wanted something made out of foam for up there with the rocks, etc.

I saw these fly at the NEAT fair last fall and they're very impressive.

What servos are you thinking? I got some Hitec HS-65hb's with the carbonite gears. If I were going electric I might even consider the 5065 digitals.

Looking forward to our builds but have to finish a couple of other projects first.

Bob

Did the Blizzard show up yet?
UltraBob is offline Find More Posts by UltraBob
Last edited by C550Driver; Feb 06, 2009 at 03:15 PM.
Old Feb 06, 2009, 10:26 PM
What just happened??
Idaho Falls, Idaho
Joined Aug 2005
140 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by C550Driver
Did the Blizzard show up yet?
The Blizzard showed up this afternoon. It's really cool. Like you, I'm really impressed with the engineering. I'm also amazed at how smooth and dense the foam is. I'm hoping to get working on it tomorrow. Here are a couple pictures. I have read posts were the plane was described as very small. I guess everything is relative. It seems like a nice size to me.
Old Feb 06, 2009, 10:43 PM
Flying at my own risk.....
Idaho Falls, Idaho
Joined Mar 2008
51 Posts
Hey guys, glad to see the thread is going. Hope that this is as informative as we all hope for.

Walter
TrussGod is offline Find More Posts by TrussGod
Old Feb 06, 2009, 10:45 PM
Add ballast
Idaho Falls
Joined Mar 2007
103 Posts
[Jim and Bob:
The photos do not do this plane justice!!! I got a look at Jim's today. The engineering is typical Multiplex, i.e. unbelievable! Every little thing is molded in and accounted for. I was blown away when I saw it today. Jim is going electric with his, but I'm with Bob as far as survivability for a Kepp's oriented ship. The Elapor is going to be a good fit for flyign up there, with the loose rock and boulder landing zones. the wing planform and general layout look perfect to me. . I can't wait to see one fly up there.

For a straight glider I wonder if the tail-mounted servo will require too much nose weight? I guess you lose the long pushrod, but these can be quite light if made from carbon tube. Either way, building a featherweight is not of value at Kepp's. Too windy!!

I put a Futaba digital aileron servo in the Destiny and changed the control geometry to give me much more resolution. Centering is now very precise. I also reduced the trim percentage by re-programming my ancient Prism 7 radio. That will make this little ^&*itch a lot more user friendly, if I may use that term.

More ballast!

Steve
180steve is offline Find More Posts by 180steve
Old Feb 07, 2009, 07:35 PM
B's
Dead Stick!!!!
Joined Feb 2009
2 Posts
Hey, Guys.

Just to let you know that Don is home! The page looks great. Geez, I didn't realize that you all were making all these sloap soarers. I have a line on EPP in SLC, but we need to order a bunch if we want ot make it worth it. We can talk later. I just got a Mini Telemaster kit and will use it to make an "aleron wing" since the kit and the ARF wing cost the same. Should be interesting. This will be one of my float planes...

B's
B's is offline Find More Posts by B's
Old Feb 07, 2009, 08:35 PM
Joined Oct 2008
3 Posts
Multiplex Easy Star

Am I the only one in the club with a Multiplex Easy Star?

I've crashed it several times, but fixed it with regular CA. Last crash at community park was a bad one, nosed in the snow at full power. Engine pod broke off, tail came unglued - five pieces! Stuck pushrod from a previous fix, I think.

We should have an event at Kepps Crossing. I have never been there, would like to see you guys fly.

Lee B., aka JrFalcon
JrFalcon is offline Find More Posts by JrFalcon
Old Feb 08, 2009, 12:14 AM
What just happened??
Idaho Falls, Idaho
Joined Aug 2005
140 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JrFalcon
Am I the only one in the club with a Multiplex Easy Star?
Lee B., aka JrFalcon

Hi Lee, I have an Easy Star I flew a million times. Talking to you has made me want to fix it. The Elapor foam that forms the elevator hinge finally broke but the same speed 400 motor seemed to be going stong after many flights.
Old Feb 13, 2009, 09:58 PM
What just happened??
Idaho Falls, Idaho
Joined Aug 2005
140 Posts
Multiplex EZ Star

I pulled out the old EZ Star & IFO today and went and flew at Community Park. It was fun but not without a few adventures. The EZ Star flew fine at first but very quickly the cold NiMH battery got low and I ended up hiking through the snow to get it. It didn't seem to have much power no matter what battery I put in so today I replaced the old stock speed 400 with an MFA Rocket 400. I also replaced the old questionable servos with some good recycled HS81's. I'll go try it out again tomorrow if it's not snowing. On an 8 cell NiCad pack it pulls about 17 amps at full throttle. I'm sure that would melt the motor if I ran like that very long.

I also flew the IFO. It was flying GREAT. I thoroughly enjoyed putting around the park, nice and slow. At one point I let it fly over my head and when I turned around it landed ever so gracefully in the top a darn tree, which was behind me about 30 feet. I've climbed trees before, chasing planes, and it's not that much fun, so I stood there thinking that it might just fall down all by itself. Pretty soon a new friend (Dave Hunter) came along and we both stood there looking at the captured IFO. He asked me what I was going to do and I said call the fire department. He just happens to be one of Idaho Falls finest. He said you've got the fire department. I said we need your truck with the big ladder. He must have been feeling energetic and heroic because he climbed the tree and threw my IFO down. Thanks IF Fire department.
Old Feb 18, 2009, 10:22 PM
Joined Oct 2008
3 Posts
Easy Star

I use a 7-cell NiMH battery (from my busted Slo-V) in my Easy Star - just right. Just not enough power with a 6 cell.

Cold battery? Gotta keep em under your armpits until ready to fly!

Lee B., aka JrFalcon
JrFalcon is offline Find More Posts by JrFalcon
Old Feb 20, 2009, 08:27 AM
What just happened??
Idaho Falls, Idaho
Joined Aug 2005
140 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JrFalcon
Cold battery? Gotta keep em under your armpits until ready to fly!

Lee B., aka JrFalcon
The armpit trick does work but I had a hard time keeping them there and duct tape is real uncomfortable.
Old Feb 20, 2009, 08:46 AM
Add ballast
Idaho Falls
Joined Mar 2007
103 Posts
Jim,

Are we still goin to the park today? Maybe some of the other cold wx flyers would want to see your new hot rod.

Steve
180steve is offline Find More Posts by 180steve
Old Feb 20, 2009, 08:58 AM
What just happened??
Idaho Falls, Idaho
Joined Aug 2005
140 Posts
Yep, Community Park at 9:30am