HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
This thread is privately moderated by zlite, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Dec 31, 2013, 04:49 PM
Tesla's Workshop
USA, CA, Torrance
Joined Nov 2004
2,289 Posts
Thanks Gary... It is a blessing in disguise. The logging and reporting burden alone was enough to take all the fun (profit) out of it. Now, we can breathe easy and our clients, under COA, can enjoy a level of privacy not found at a federal facility
workshop is offline Find More Posts by workshop
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 31, 2013, 07:18 PM
Yumastan RCAPA.NET
Joined Feb 2003
5,731 Posts
I like how Alaska got 7 flying sites in multiple states. Maybe you guys should have saved time, money and aggravation and threw in with them??
patrickegan is offline Find More Posts by patrickegan
Site Sponsor
Old Dec 31, 2013, 07:36 PM
FrankC
Ocala, Florida
Joined Jun 2007
497 Posts
What kind of logging and reporting were you doing?

Quote:
Originally Posted by workshop View Post
Thanks Gary... It is a blessing in disguise. The logging and reporting burden alone was enough to take all the fun (profit) out of it. Now, we can breathe easy and our clients, under COA, can enjoy a level of privacy not found at a federal facility
FrankC is online now Find More Posts by FrankC
Old Dec 31, 2013, 08:15 PM
Yumastan RCAPA.NET
Joined Feb 2003
5,731 Posts
Frank, how is the logbook coming along?
Site Sponsor
Old Dec 31, 2013, 08:50 PM
FrankC
Ocala, Florida
Joined Jun 2007
497 Posts
I gave up on that app a couple of years ago. It was taking the FAA so long to do anything I saw no point in continuing. My beta testers gave it good comments, and I had a lot of logging and reporting in it and planned on refining that when some guidelines came out. Over the last few days I have considered a partial rewrite in a new version of my development environment, which now supports the database the Androids use. I haven't decided yet, but this project actually started 6 years ago so maybe or maybe not.

I think it would have been useful, it logged all usage, tracked scheduled maintenance, had a lot of work in it. It just never got a chance to go anywhere.

Quote:
Originally Posted by patrickegan View Post
Frank, how is the logbook coming along?
FrankC is online now Find More Posts by FrankC
Old Jan 01, 2014, 03:10 PM
Tesla's Workshop
USA, CA, Torrance
Joined Nov 2004
2,289 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankC View Post
What kind of logging and reporting were you doing?
None... Cal UAS was not selected.
Old Jan 01, 2014, 09:36 PM
Yumastan RCAPA.NET
Joined Feb 2003
5,731 Posts
Well, just apply for the old training CoA… better yet, see if you can an MOU with the nearest restricted or warning airspace.
Site Sponsor
Old Jan 01, 2014, 10:40 PM
Tesla's Workshop
USA, CA, Torrance
Joined Nov 2004
2,289 Posts
We're in the middle of 12 million acres of restricted airspace and have a great working relationship with China Lake. Two of our clients have COAs so far. We are the private choice for commercial UAS testing.
Old Jan 02, 2014, 10:02 AM
Yumastan RCAPA.NET
Joined Feb 2003
5,731 Posts
Sounds like you are ready to go. Just have to work up a business plan that allows for small manufacturers to play. Then offer up a value proposition that makes them want to voluntarily comply with the current FAA policy.I think it could be historic.
Site Sponsor
Old Jan 02, 2014, 11:34 AM
Gaftopher
Nottingham Road South Africa/Bedford UK
Joined Feb 2007
3,624 Posts
A couple of small manufacturers have said they are waiting for prices from the test sites it will be interesting to see what replies they get. It will also be interesting to see if platforms already being used commercially and signed off in other parts of the world will be welcome.
Gary Mortimer is offline Find More Posts by Gary Mortimer
Old Jan 02, 2014, 04:30 PM
Tesla's Workshop
USA, CA, Torrance
Joined Nov 2004
2,289 Posts
Keep an eye on Cal UAS, California's UAS Development and Technology Center!!!

Patrick, you were at our open house... It was like Woodstock... Was there any similar public embrace at any other UAS test site applicant?
Old Jan 02, 2014, 11:31 PM
Yumastan RCAPA.NET
Joined Feb 2003
5,731 Posts
Yes, it was like Woodstock, open and general public friendly… flags and BBQ. The other test sites are very vendor centric. I was in on Nevada's effort from day one (2011) and when Texas got started. Texas had a deal going where you had to pay thousands of dollars to talk at the meetings. The Texas site was in the shadow of DFW. The Nevada effort was nuts too as they wanted to accommodate everything up to Global Hawk. I don't believe the two can ever play together for a gate fee that makes sense to small business.

I just wish we had more cohesion in the community.
Site Sponsor
Old Jan 03, 2014, 02:29 AM
Gaftopher
Nottingham Road South Africa/Bedford UK
Joined Feb 2007
3,624 Posts
The community still thinks its interests are being looked after. They are of course in Europe and China. Spotting innovation and assisting it will be the key. Otherwise the test sites will just be looking at the same old thing. How about a bi monthly open hanger meet, that allows folks space to play with their concepts and meet like minded folk.
Gary Mortimer is offline Find More Posts by Gary Mortimer
Last edited by Gary Mortimer; Jan 03, 2014 at 02:50 AM.
Old Jan 03, 2014, 12:43 PM
Yumastan RCAPA.NET
Joined Feb 2003
5,731 Posts
Wot?! AUVSI is the worlds largest advocacy group leading the way from the U.S.
Site Sponsor
Old Jan 28, 2014, 08:04 AM
Asker, Oslo, Norway
Joined Feb 2009
414 Posts
Remotely Piloted Aircraft Systems - Systems Safety Assessment

The JARUS deliverable “AMC RPAS.1309”, and the associated document “Scoping Paper to AMC RPAS.1309”, are now available on the JARUS website for external consultation. These documents are the output of more than 3 years of work by a dedicated working group within JARUS. They provide a means to conduct a system safety assessment in support of RPAS type-certification, including defining system availability and integrity levels. The background and rationale for the approach taken is fully documented in the supporting scoping paper. These documents can be found under the “Draft Deliverables” tab on http://www.jarus-rpas.org, together with the online comment form for each document.

The deadline for providing comments is March 28, 2014.
brakar is offline Find More Posts by brakar