HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Apr 08, 2012, 02:24 PM
United States, OR, Portland
Joined Jan 2008
1,619 Posts
I too had to do the tap and drill for the first time, building my Pete and Poke. It wasn't as difficult as I thought it would be. I didn't even have the handle, just the dubro taps. I used a strong clamp at first to hold the end of the bit when i turned it, then when it got harder screwed it in the rest of the way with a wrench.
seeingeyegod is offline Find More Posts by seeingeyegod
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 08, 2012, 06:24 PM
Canada, MB, Winnipeg
Joined Dec 2011
113 Posts
Well managed to get the wing to fit nice and firm, no movement, some very small gaps in a couple of spots but in there without any movement.

Hopefully the LHS is open tomorrow can pick up the tap and give it a go.
bunkai is offline Find More Posts by bunkai
Old Apr 09, 2012, 10:12 AM
Canada, MB, Winnipeg
Joined Dec 2011
113 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcwings View Post
Rob,

Tiny gaps I would not be too concerned about...provided the wing is square with the fuse, and you have not affected the wing incidence, and the wing will not twist or move when bolted on. You want to ensure the wing sits neatly and evenly on the fuse wing saddle. If all is correct, then after covering you could fix the odd tiny gap with a bead of silicone. If you need to square up the wing, and get the incidence right and remove gaps, what I find works well is to take some sandpaper (say 1" x 5"), place the fuse on the wing, and slip in the sandpaper (sanding surface against the fuse wing saddle) and work out the high spots until you get a perfect fit. You do not want the wing to twist when it gets bolted down due to gaps, or be able to move.

Hope that makes sense.

Marko
I've seen the incidence term and see it on the plan. How do you determine this physically? The plan shows 2 degrees how is this determined to check?

Rob
Old Apr 09, 2012, 10:47 AM
North Simcoe Flyers
Midland, Ontario, Canada
Joined May 2007
798 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bunkai View Post
I've seen the incidence term and see it on the plan. How do you determine this physically? The plan shows 2 degrees how is this determined to check?

Rob
The easiest way is with the use of an incidence meter. If you intend on doing allot of building it is well worth the investment. If your wing has lined up identical to the plans, then the incidence should setup correctly for you. Since I am not at that stage I cannot verify if it actually turns out correct. I don't recall anyone complaining of it in the thread, but you need to be cautious of altering incidence if doing some major sanding of the wing saddle and positioning of the wing.

Here is a good reference you may want to read:
http://balsabusters.warp0.com/INCIDENCE.html

There are a number of meters on the market and only included the link as it explains visually how to go about checking incidence. Hope that helps some!
rcwings is online now Find More Posts by rcwings
Last edited by rcwings; Apr 09, 2012 at 11:06 AM. Reason: changed link
Old Apr 09, 2012, 12:19 PM
Canada, MB, Winnipeg
Joined Dec 2011
113 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcwings View Post
The easiest way is with the use of an incidence meter. If you intend on doing allot of building it is well worth the investment. If your wing has lined up identical to the plans, then the incidence should setup correctly for you. Since I am not at that stage I cannot verify if it actually turns out correct. I don't recall anyone complaining of it in the thread, but you need to be cautious of altering incidence if doing some major sanding of the wing saddle and positioning of the wing.

Here is a good reference you may want to read:
http://balsabusters.warp0.com/INCIDENCE.html

There are a number of meters on the market and only included the link as it explains visually how to go about checking incidence. Hope that helps some!
I just got back from the LHS and actually looked at one of those meters. It looked expensive and I didn't ask how much

The wing fits pretty good and I don't think incidence will be an issue. They were out of tap handles though I got the tap.

Thanks for the link Marko, a lot of interesting info there.
Old Apr 09, 2012, 12:56 PM
North Simcoe Flyers
Midland, Ontario, Canada
Joined May 2007
798 Posts
Quote:
I just got back from the LHS and actually looked at one of those meters. It looked expensive and I didn't ask how much

The wing fits pretty good and I don't think incidence will be an issue. They were out of tap handles though I got the tap.

Thanks for the link Marko, a lot of interesting info there.
They range anywhere from $50 to $80 for an inexpensive one and there are some pretty complex ones for allot more. Check out the local swaps in your area as you may be able to pick one of for a fraction of the cost. Just ensure if looking at the Robard one that the jewel movement is not sticky. One of those tools that you rarely pull out, but when you do it is worth it's weight in gold.

The handle is not so critical although helps to get the tap going straight. You can use a wrench, or small vise grips (ouch I hate the thought...but in a pinch will work) to get a grip on the tap. Just try to keep it straight and slowly work it into the hole. Once it grabs, it should go in fine and create a nice thread for you. If it is anything other than wood, then the handle is almost a must.

Cheers and good luck!
Old Apr 11, 2012, 01:20 AM
Zor
Suspended Account
Ontario,Canada
Joined Feb 2007
9,742 Posts
Incidence by measurements

Quote:

Rob
Hello Rob,

A plan (drawing) that shows an incidence value like the 2 degrees has to have a line that can be used as a reference.

That incidence is the angular difference in degrees between the chord of the airfoil and that reference line.

Notice "the chord" of the airfoil.

You support the fuselage so that the reference line is horizontal using a level instrument and the support surface (may be your work bench) must also be horizontal as checked with the level instrument.

Now you take as precise a measurement as you can from the support horizontal surface to the chord at the leading edge and at the trailing edge. These measurements are perpendicular to the supporting surface.

Knowing these two measurements and the length of the chord a simple calculation gives you the incidence angle.

Zor
Zor is offline Find More Posts by Zor
Last edited by Zor; Apr 11, 2012 at 01:24 AM. Reason: Checking orthograh.
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Apr 15, 2012, 02:13 PM
Canada, MB, Winnipeg
Joined Dec 2011
113 Posts
ok I just made a dumb mistake.
I absentmindedly grabbed the bit that came with the tap that was sitting right next to the 9/64" bit that I was supposed to use to drill the holes. Guess I'll be hitting the LHS tomorrow to get blind nuts for these bolts. I don't think using that bit will leave enough thread.

DUH
Old Apr 15, 2012, 02:32 PM
North Simcoe Flyers
Midland, Ontario, Canada
Joined May 2007
798 Posts
Quote:
I absentmindedly grabbed the bit that came with the tap that was sitting right next to the 9/64" bit that I was supposed to use to drill the holes. Guess I'll be hitting the LHS tomorrow to get blind nuts for these bolts. I don't think using that bit will leave enough thread.

DUH
How about looking for the next size up bolt and re tap the hole to fit?
Old Apr 15, 2012, 02:48 PM
Canada, MB, Winnipeg
Joined Dec 2011
113 Posts
A friend suggested the blind nut idea instead of tapping a few days ago. I'm going to have a look at that. I will probably never use this tap again and if I get a larger bolt I'll have to get another tap I'll probably never use.

Rob

I tried the bolts after CAing and tapping 4-5 times just to see. The bolts are in there really tight, I'm wondering if it's ok the way it is? Sure seems to be.The bolts took some effort to get in actually.
Last edited by bunkai; Apr 15, 2012 at 06:04 PM.
Old Apr 15, 2012, 11:06 PM
Israel, Ashdod
Joined Dec 2009
374 Posts
Quote:

DUH
Hi Bunkai! Do you use to drill the hole the bit that came with the Tap? or by mistake you use a different one?, if you used the one that came with the Tap, it's ok. the drill bit that comes with the tap is smaller (in radius) than the tap, so the tap can thread the difference in radius.
i don't have the manual next to me, but if my memory still works the 9/64" is used to make the holes in the wing, so the screws can slide freely.

Pablo.
pablojaime is online now Find More Posts by pablojaime
Old Apr 16, 2012, 10:03 AM
Canada, MB, Winnipeg
Joined Dec 2011
113 Posts
I'm thinking that because the bolt fit so well that the 9/64" bit they suggest is only for a pilot hole.
Old Apr 17, 2012, 04:29 AM
Israel, Ashdod
Joined Dec 2009
374 Posts
Ok, the engine got is Break-in!! and I have a new Pilot hand made by my father..
Now it's Electronics time!!

Pablo.
pablojaime is online now Find More Posts by pablojaime
Old Apr 17, 2012, 07:21 AM
North Simcoe Flyers
Midland, Ontario, Canada
Joined May 2007
798 Posts
Cool pilot!
Old Apr 17, 2012, 02:05 PM
Israel, Ashdod