HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Apr 01, 2014, 02:46 AM
United States, CA, Los Angeles
Joined Jan 2013
448 Posts
Discussion
i want to buy only one plane, just one.

it must be rtf, have safe tech and as3x

i will be flying 99% of the time at the beach.

im looking at 3

super cub with safe upcoming, but only 3 channels. maybe ill get bored with it after a few flights and not sure if i can use it at the beach

delta ray, i like the medium size of the plane but its not 4 channels. also it just looks too easy to control since it doesnt have rudder or elevator. i might get bored of it. I LOVE that its cheaper and i can probably use it at the beach though.

apprentice s. it seems awfully too big and fast for the beach. also i dont know if you can detach landing gear. but i want this one the most

i have experience with 3 channel planes but want to go to next step

like i said i will be flying mainly at the beach. not taking on the hobby full time. just part time flyer to relax every weekend. i guess i just want to be convinced to get the apprentise but the only thing stopping me from buying is i want to use it at the beach.
bradymartin is offline Find More Posts by bradymartin
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 01, 2014, 03:15 AM
What tree?
Yucca Valley, California
Joined Aug 2005
1,769 Posts
Delta Ray is 4 channel. Ailerons, elevator (Elevons), rudder (Yaw controlled thru thrust differential) and throttle.

It's also, hands down, the most maneuverable of all of the planes you listed, being a delta. It has the widest flight envelope by an enormous margin.
Rampage is offline Find More Posts by Rampage
Old Apr 01, 2014, 03:24 AM
Old Fogey-ish
United States, WA, Vancouver
Joined Aug 2010
2,109 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bradymartin View Post
it must be rtf, have safe tech and as3x

i will be flying 99% of the time at the beach.

im looking at 3

super cub with safe upcoming, but only 3 channels. maybe ill get bored with it after a few flights and not sure if i can use it at the beach

delta ray, i like the medium size of the plane but its not 4 channels. also it just looks too easy to control since it doesnt have rudder or elevator. i might get bored of it. I LOVE that its cheaper and i can probably use it at the beach though.

apprentice s. it seems awfully too big and fast for the beach. also i dont know if you can detach landing gear. but i want this one the most

i have experience with 3 channel planes but want to go to next step

like i said i will be flying mainly at the beach. not taking on the hobby full time. just part time flyer to relax every weekend. i guess i just want to be convinced to get the apprentise but the only thing stopping me from buying is i want to use it at the beach.
The Delta Ray IS 4 channel , but not in a way that conventional 4 channel planes are . Instead of having ailerons for roll control and elevator for pitch control , the DR has two control surfaces at the rear called elevons that are mixed electronically to be both elevator and ailerons . And the DR also has yaw control through differential thrust between the two motors , instead of a rudder .

If you go to your local hobby shop that sells the DR , I'm sure they can demonstrate all four channels for you .
balsa or carbon is offline Find More Posts by balsa or carbon
Old Apr 01, 2014, 07:19 AM
United States, NY, Queens
Joined Oct 2005
2,214 Posts
Why would you want to detach the landing gear from the Apprentice? Since you will be flying at the beach, you will want to do your take-offs and landings from the hard packed sand closer to the water, rather than the soft sand further inland. Replace the stock wheels on the Apprentice with larger diameter and wider "bush" wheels. If the nose wheel gives you trouble, you can always convert it to a tail dragger (this modification has been covered in the Apprentice thread). The fact that the Apprentice is larger should make it better at handling the winds that are so common at beaches. Being at the beach means that you are not restricted to a small flying area, which is usually the drawback for people who want to get the Apprentice. To me, the Apprentice sounds like a great selection for you.
Leo L is online now Find More Posts by Leo L
Old Apr 01, 2014, 08:04 AM
rookie
Canada, SK, Saskatoon
Joined Dec 2012
525 Posts
Why did you sell the funcub that would have been a great plane for the beach?
wilf370 is offline Find More Posts by wilf370
Old Apr 01, 2014, 08:28 AM
Redacted per NSA "suggestion"
United States, VA, Virginia Beach
Joined Feb 2012
5,190 Posts
For a part time flier at a beach that around this time of year is going to start getting crowded I'd suggest not flying at all.

If there aren't very many people I'd suggest the Super Cub. I have one and fly it regularly, lose the stock brick, reinforce the wing put in an rx and 30 amp brushed esc then put on a PKZ1005 prop, with this setup on a stock 1300 mAh 3S pack it outputs 200 watts, is more than capable to handle 20 mph winds with only 3 channels and is very fun to fly.
dedStik is online now Find More Posts by dedStik
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Confessions of a smoker...
Old Apr 01, 2014, 08:36 AM
Joined Mar 2014
4 Posts
The landing gear can be removed on Apprentice. You have to remove cowling to remove nose gear while the other can be squeezed and removed.
RoadJunkie is offline Find More Posts by RoadJunkie
Old Apr 01, 2014, 09:51 AM
My everything hurts
United States, AZ, Bisbee
Joined Sep 2013
111 Posts
The Delta is very easy to fly and would do well except for the fact that it will be a bit difficult to handle with the wind. It has brushed motors which do pretty well but lack the power to dive through heavy gusts.
waywardson is offline Find More Posts by waywardson
Old Apr 01, 2014, 10:04 AM
United States, CA, San Diego
Joined Jun 2007
1,642 Posts
+1 for the Delta Ray. Delta wings are all kinds of fun. And with the correct cg should be able to slow down to a crawling pace for landing. And you should learn your planes a little better! 'Easy to control because it doesn't have rudder or elevator'? Deltas have elevons, which do the job of elevators and ailerons at once. And as others have pointed out already, the Delta Ray has simulated rudder by use of differential thrust from the motors, so it's a full 4 channel plane. Heck, I'm flying warbirds and even have the proverbial ' 100mph edf' but I'm tempted to buy a Delta Ray just for fun!
xmech2k is offline Find More Posts by xmech2k
Last edited by xmech2k; Apr 01, 2014 at 10:07 AM. Reason: Correcting my stupid smart-phone's auto spelling. ..
Old Apr 01, 2014, 10:33 AM
PowerTower
United Kingdom, England, Bristol
Joined Aug 2009
941 Posts
'Just one'... Hmm, so you don't know how the hobby sucks you in then
As mentioned above, watch out for crowds, but if you do have a lot of deserted beach, well, Delta-Ray sounds like it's in the lead at the moment, I would go for a delta to have a more envelope. Consider a flying wing too maybe Not sure why you are craving the 4th channel, I would say the 3ch wing is just as exciting to fly. If you are after a scale-like flight, a standard plan-form like Apprentice-E might be the better option. 'Just one model'.... Yeah... right
RWData is offline Find More Posts by RWData
Old Apr 01, 2014, 10:54 AM
Ochroma Lagopus Tekton
Blackstock, South Carolina
Joined Sep 2007
1,764 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bradymartin View Post
"i want to buy only one plane, just one."
Only one plane, yeah right. Is this an April Fool's joke?
Fly Wheel is online now Find More Posts by Fly Wheel
Old Apr 01, 2014, 12:45 PM
United States, CA, Los Angeles
Joined Feb 2010
190 Posts
If you are already good at flying, try looking at the Tech One Neptune EDF ARF at NitroPlanes (Sonic 64 at HobbyKing), this is one of the favorites at the flying field and has some advantages for at the beach; nose is foam instead of propeller, ducted fan instead of propeller, clean shape will be easier to transport in the trunk of a car, ~48 inch wingspan can fit in most car trunks without dis-assembly, wide flight envelope which can fly fast and twisty and also slow and stable. I am sure there will be a lot of buzz about it in the EDf forums.

If there are a lot of people around, think Frisbee !
With the right wind a "Dual-Line-Kite" would be a lot of fun
http://kite.org/styles/sport-kites/dual-line/

Good luck and have fun
JD-Slow-Thumbs is offline Find More Posts by JD-Slow-Thumbs
Old Apr 02, 2014, 02:02 PM
no catchy phrase
United States, AK, Wasilla
Joined Feb 2013
126 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fly Wheel View Post
Only one plane, yeah right. Is this an April Fool's joke?
thats what i was thinking when i saw the thread!
rcplanenoob78 is offline Find More Posts by rcplanenoob78
Old Apr 02, 2014, 04:13 PM
United States, CA, San Diego
Joined Jun 2007
1,642 Posts
And I was contemplating the ultimate 'I'm a newb and want a 100mph edf with retracts and flaps to fly from my front yard with fpv using my Dynam 4ch tx so I can fly over the nearby airport to see what they're doing...' but I was otherwise occupied yesterday.
xmech2k is offline Find More Posts by xmech2k
Old Apr 02, 2014, 04:33 PM
rrg
USA, KY, Edgewood
Joined Dec 2007
1,235 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcplanenoob78 View Post
thats what i was thinking when i saw the thread!
Thats three of us....
rrg is offline Find More Posts by rrg