Joined Nov 2013
15 Posts
Help!
Blue wonder power surge at high throttle

HexTronik blue wonder 1300kv 24g motor from LazerToyz
Favourite sky III 20a esc
3s lipo 1000mah
8x4.3 gws sf prop

At half to 3/4 throttle the motor runs great smooth and no problems. But at 7/8 to full throttle the motor surges and looses rpm temporarily and makes a really bad screeching sound. Then it tries to catch up but begins to surge again. If I reduce throttle to 3/4 or less it runs normal again. With no prop on I can run motor to full throttle and no surging. Only surges under a load of prop.
This just started happening. I had about 10 flights with this motor batt esc setup with no problems. I am a new pilot so I crashed a few times. A couple of nose dives straight in. Motor and shaft are straight and true. Prop balanced.
Only thing I can think of is the timing on the esc needs to programming to high.
Patnaude_av8r is offline Find More Posts by Patnaude_av8r
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 07, 2014, 10:06 PM
Chattanooga, Tennessee, United States
Joined May 2003
27,193 Posts
You are probably pushing that motor fairly close to its limit with an 8x4.3 GWS RS on 3s.

Try both high and low timing...one or other might work.
Dr Kiwi is offline Find More Posts by Dr Kiwi
Old Mar 08, 2014, 10:49 AM
United States, WA, Seattle
Joined Jan 2007
5,050 Posts
Over propped or under timed. Be sure to check the motor temp if you are pushing near full throttle a lot. Higher timing may fix it but also will make it run somewhat hotter.

The KV on motors like that are often inaccurate, and sometimes just plain wrong as you can get a model with a different KV than specified.
flydiver is offline Find More Posts by flydiver
Old Mar 10, 2014, 06:50 PM
Joined Nov 2013
15 Posts
I don't push near full throttle a lot. I went through two batts today and never called for anything over 3/4 throttle. I am flying a FT Flyer foamie from Flite Test, and this is the recommended motor prop combination and also purchased from Lazertoyz as a combo pack. I have been flying this motor and esc for over a couple of months now and never had a problem with this till now. I am afraid over a few bad crashes I might have done damage to the bearings to the Ol-blue Wonder causing the motor to work a bit harder. It doesn't make any grinding noises and the shaft and bell are true and do not wobble. also I have a BIG PROBLEM cause i can not find the directions to the esc to program the timing. Anyone have the directions for a Favourite Sky III 20A esc or similar re-branded esc. with out the directions or a programming card I cannot fix my problem.
Old Mar 11, 2014, 10:29 AM
United States, WA, Seattle
Joined Jan 2007
5,050 Posts
Oh, it crashed. It didn't do it before, now it does it. Think about that.....
Not the timing. Partly messed up motor or ESC.
flydiver is offline Find More Posts by flydiver
Old Mar 13, 2014, 03:14 PM
Joined Nov 2013
15 Posts
yes i've crashed a few times, nosed it in hard but the motor still spins freely, I've oiled bearing and check for bad winding. it could be a bad bearing cause the motor doesn't purr like it did when it was brand new, now it has a quiet whirl. A bad bearing can cause drag and cause motor to work harder, that may cause my bad timing issue. FYI this is my first electric motor and esc so I only guessing the problem. I've found the programming directions to my esc on the favourite website http://www.szfvt.com/eproducts/75.html it has the programming setup sequence, but it does not give the beep tone sequence. Looking at it there are 8 parameter that can be changed, but when I try it on my esc i only get 4 parameters. (beep....beep beep......beep beep beep.....beep beep beep beep....then it repeats. That tells me its been flashed differently then the manufacturer specs. So I don't know which parameter to adjust for timing. Any help please.
Last edited by Patnaude_av8r; Mar 13, 2014 at 04:46 PM. Reason: Spelling