HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 30, 2014, 04:12 PM
Tennessee
Joined Apr 2009
5,010 Posts
Question
Collet adapter question

I have a collet style adapter in a plane of mine and it will not tighten down sufficiently. First time I've had this happen. Prop actually flew off and broke. Anybody have any tricks they use to help in a case like this? My first though was Loctite thread locker but that may make it near permanent.

Thanks in advance
Alan
GiusedtoBe is online now Find More Posts by GiusedtoBe
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 30, 2014, 04:39 PM
Y=C+I+G
United States, CA, Rosemead
Joined Jan 2012
5,680 Posts
i've used washers between collet and backplate. you can put them in front of backplate too if you wish. that should provide sufficient tightening to keep the assembly on.
cmdl is offline Find More Posts by cmdl
Old Jan 30, 2014, 05:02 PM
Paws to refresh...
Augusta, KS USA
Joined Dec 2007
4,335 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by GiusedtoBe View Post
I have a collet style adapter in a plane of mine and it will not tighten down sufficiently. First time I've had this happen. Prop actually flew off and broke. Anybody have any tricks they use to help in a case like this? My first though was Loctite thread locker but that may make it near permanent.

Thanks in advance
Alan
Some collets have two rather than four cut reliefs in the tapered section. You might be able to add a second set of cuts with an X-acto saw or similar to help the grip on the shaft.
gnats82 is offline Find More Posts by gnats82
Old Jan 31, 2014, 06:05 AM
Tennessee
Joined Apr 2009
5,010 Posts
Thanks for the replies. The collet has four cuts and the washer worked.

Thanks again
Alan
GiusedtoBe is online now Find More Posts by GiusedtoBe
Old Jan 31, 2014, 09:08 AM
Field of Dreams Flyer
San Pedro,Ca
Joined Sep 2004
7,890 Posts
Use sandpaper and roughen up the shaft
Mikemynameis is offline Find More Posts by Mikemynameis