HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 27, 2014, 09:09 PM
Brawley, CA. USA
Joined May 2000
454 Posts
Discussion
Circle cutter for covering

I need to make a circle cutter for covering. I would like to use Exacto blade for the cutter and be to able to cut up to 12" circles. Need to be able to replace the blades when dull. Anyone made one or any ideas?

Thanks in advance,

Bill
Wild Bill is offline Find More Posts by Wild Bill
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 27, 2014, 09:53 PM
Canada
Joined Nov 2000
6,630 Posts
Really? Just google for an amazing variety of circle cutters... And prices.
Beyond that.... for a single use gizmo ? even a ruler, a pin, an Exacto knife and some masking tape will be All you need to cobble one up.
Bare is offline Find More Posts by Bare
Old Jan 27, 2014, 11:19 PM
Brawley, CA. USA
Joined May 2000
454 Posts
Don't want to "cobble" one up, no offense meant, but adjustable one that I could use for years to come, hopefully. As for buying one, the Olfa circle cutters use a wheel and, unless I spend $50, are to small anyway. Also, I don't think the wheel will cut through the backing and then the film of Ultracote as I do my layout on the backing. Haven't found a pen yet that will finely mark the covering without smudging when moving my straight edge or leaving an indelible mark.

Just wondering if anyone had built one or had a decent idea for one.

Bill
Old Jan 28, 2014, 08:55 AM
United States, NJ, Browns Mills
Joined May 2005
1,694 Posts
I have one of the Olfa ones that I've been using for a few years. As long as you firmly tape the covering in place, it does a fine job. The latest model I did with it has French roundels, about 5" in diameter, that I did with the cutter with no problems (despite the backing still being on the Ultracote).

I regularly use my wife's old Olfa cutter and board for covering materials. The wheels don't dull or snag as quickly as X-acto blades.

CD
Captain Dunsel is offline Find More Posts by Captain Dunsel
Old Jan 28, 2014, 09:26 AM
San Diego, California
Joined Dec 2004
3,270 Posts
Too many links to post, but Google Olfa CMP-1.

Bought one years ago and love it.

Les
LesUyeda is offline Find More Posts by LesUyeda
Old Jan 28, 2014, 09:33 AM
Aurora Municipal, Illinois, United States
Joined Jul 2002
1,538 Posts
I looked for years for a reasonable way to cut circles in covering. I have quite collection of stuff in my tool box that I have purchased over the years including a homemade beam compass that probably worked the best.

I don't know if this will help you but the best solution I've come up with is a drafting compass. I have an old drafting kit with 2 sizes of compass and a long beam extension that allowed me to cut some large circles for a prewar star and ball insignia. The cutter itself is a blade I purchased online for a vinyl cutting plotter. I replaced the pencil lead with the cutter and it cuts beautiful circles. The cutter is solid carbide, extremely sharp and will probably outlast my covering career.
bullseye000 is offline Find More Posts by bullseye000
Old Jan 28, 2014, 09:34 AM
Neophyte hacker
Albuquerque, NM USA
Joined Sep 2003
15,353 Posts
I have an Olfa too. Got it at a sewing shop.

But, I made one when a kid. Used a yardstick. In those days they were about 3/8" thick and I screwed the blade to the end. Then cobbled up a sliding part. 1/16 ply and some bass or spruce. Thumbscrew in the top. The pivot point was a nail that had the point dressed up. I cut it off to about 15" long, but, the same thing could be done in any size you want.
portablevcb is offline Find More Posts by portablevcb
Old Jan 28, 2014, 09:49 AM
An itch?. Scratch build.
South Wales U.K.
Joined Mar 2003
12,441 Posts
Actually I found it quite easy with a blade and something to cut round.

A plate, bowl, cup, or whatever was the right size. The plate or whatever, kept the film pressed down while I cut round it with a scalpel.

Though I do also have a craft circle cutter, I found cutting round something still easier.
eflightray is online now Find More Posts by eflightray
Old Jan 28, 2014, 03:10 PM
United States, NJ, Browns Mills
Joined May 2005
1,694 Posts
Correction, the Olfa cutter I have will do up to 8" circles.

The Morane's roundels are 6", not 5", too.

CD
Captain Dunsel is offline Find More Posts by Captain Dunsel
Old Jan 28, 2014, 05:58 PM
Canada
Joined Nov 2000
6,630 Posts
Ohhh .. you want a reusable one ... for Cheap ?
A decent quality poster board Ali Push pin with a Sharp 1/2" + pin shaft.
A length of Twine and an Exacto handle with a fresh #11 blade
Pin at the centre of the circle, firmly pressed home..knotted string loop onto the pin's head, the other end of String taped to the Exacto handle. and subsequently wound on it a few turns.
Wind or Unwind the string on the exacto handle for desired radius.
When done wrap it all together until the next use.
Easy, Reliable , reusable and instantly available,, not to mention Free.
Bare is offline Find More Posts by Bare
Old Jan 28, 2014, 10:23 PM
Surprise, AZ
Joined Jul 2002
388 Posts
Olfa CMP-3 will cut 8 3/4" for about $17 @ Walmart.
jcyr1 is offline Find More Posts by jcyr1
Old Jan 29, 2014, 02:39 PM
Joined Jan 2008
1,117 Posts
I have two aluminum things which clamp on an aluminum yardstick. One holds a blade and the other one has a point on it. No idea where I got them.
Jim Thomerson is offline Find More Posts by Jim Thomerson
Old Jan 29, 2014, 04:55 PM
Jim C Patrick
Shenandoah County
Joined Jan 2008
753 Posts
If you can find (or have) a large drafting compass or a beam compass the Roland 'plotter' blades for vinyl can work. Get the low angle (30) types because XXcotes are thin and don't need the steeper 60 edges. Use them in place of the graphite.

If you cut on glass like many people here, just be careful because the carbide can cut into the glass and scar it if you use too much pressure.
jcpatrick is offline Find More Posts by jcpatrick
Old Feb 18, 2014, 06:48 PM
Brawley, CA. USA
Joined May 2000
454 Posts
Bare,

Have you tried your string idea yet. Need at least three hands.

eflighttray,

You and my wife had the same idea. She also told me Olfa made a 1 inch wheel for cutting ( have to wait for her to be out of the house to borrow it ). I'm going to try the small wheel and an Exacto blade around some Dollar Tree plates. My wife thinks I might break HER plates by pressing down to hard. And I won't break the Dollar Tree plates, right. After all they go for the princely sum of,....... wait for it,.... a dollar.

Capt. D, I'll have to see if Wally World has one although Jo Ann's just opened a store in the next town that we jokingly call the "big city". (Pop <40K).

Jim T, Have a photo.

jcpatrick, I use a 18" x 24"sewing cutting mat that my wife was going to throw away.

Yup, I am master of my domain (the garage, well part of it anyway ).

Bill
Last edited by Wild Bill; Mar 05, 2014 at 11:56 AM. Reason: Had the time
Old Feb 18, 2014, 07:13 PM
United States, KS, Rose Hill
Joined Sep 2007
617 Posts
You might also want to look at what Micro-Mark has.

L.
Cherokee Flyer is online now Find More Posts by Cherokee Flyer