HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 17, 2004, 01:38 AM
UFO
United States, FL, Jupiter
Joined Dec 2003
153 Posts
Idea
Attach RX antenna to airframe

As a newbie I was unaware of the danger of having the RX antenna just dangling out of the model.

While doing a vertical stall the prop caught the antenna and snapped about 2/3 off it. Luckily I had the Berg-5 RX so the plane was unaffected by the loss of antenna length. Only after landing I saw that it happened.

If the antenna would have ripped out of the reciever instead of snapping my plane would have been toothpicks.

Lesson for today, tape that antenna to your model so it can't reach the prop.
ron_sb is offline Find More Posts by ron_sb
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 17, 2004, 01:29 PM
St. Catharines, Canada
Joined Mar 2003
260 Posts
Another thing to do is to write down what your original antenna length was so you can solder on a proper replacement when your done your midflight snipping. The length is very important for optimum operation. 1m (39") is the norm for most but I think the frequency and type of tx can alter this.
nupeswv is offline Find More Posts by nupeswv
Old Feb 17, 2004, 01:45 PM
UFO
United States, FL, Jupiter
Joined Dec 2003
153 Posts
I'm not sure what length of the Berg antenna is (hence your hint ) luckily the antenna wrapped it self around the prop shaft and stayed there without doing harm. So I soldered it back together with minimal loss of length. (maybe 1-2 mm).
ron_sb is offline Find More Posts by ron_sb
Old Feb 17, 2004, 02:40 PM
san marcos, ca
Joined Jun 2001
677 Posts
antenna length

all our receivers come with a 1 meter long antenna.
peter berg
potifar is offline Find More Posts by potifar