HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Mar 04, 2013, 05:51 AM
Kansas City
Joined Apr 2010
569 Posts
Discussion
Roundtoit Plans/Dimensions

Does anyone know a source for dimensions or drawings for the Roundtoit design. I'd like to build one. Thanks in advance!
Lifer is offline Find More Posts by Lifer
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 04, 2013, 11:30 AM
Canada, ON, Cottam
Joined Jan 2012
1,137 Posts
I don't have a plan, but the wing dia. is 27" on mine, 1" thick styrofoam, with a plywood box fuselage that could be replaced with downspout. The firewall is 2 1/2" in front of the wing. There is a fair size rudder on it which is also made of 1" styro. The whole thing is covered in Econocoat probably. The elevons are cut off at about 5 1/2" from the back. Mine has a mechanical mixer but most radios have electronic ones on the radio. I got mine for $20 at an auction ready to go with a Supertiger .40. It had an AM reciever in it which I will change out. I am still afraid to fly it after 8 years. Maybe this is the year, I am a little better at correcting my flying mistakes now. On mine, the fuselage is sunk into the wing, making it weaker. It should likely have a spar. The guy said it flew ok and would hover into a wind.
aspeed is offline Find More Posts by aspeed
Old Mar 05, 2013, 05:55 AM
Kansas City
Joined Apr 2010
569 Posts
aspeed,

Thank you! Can you tell me if the wing is flat, or does the leading edge curve into the fuselage? Any pictures possible?

Again, thanks!
Old Mar 05, 2013, 11:43 AM
Canada, ON, Cottam
Joined Jan 2012
1,137 Posts
It is flat. The guy didn't even round the leading edge. Looks like I have to take a picture. It is a bit embarassing. It sat at the swap meet all day for $20 with no takers.
Old Mar 05, 2013, 12:09 PM
Canada, ON, Cottam
Joined Jan 2012
1,137 Posts
Looks like it needed tailweight and a rudder was tried with no luck? Someone else told me they do good cartwheels on landings? I don't know yet. I know the motor wants to pull me over when going full throttle. I am used to little stuff though.
Old Mar 06, 2013, 05:59 AM
Kansas City
Joined Apr 2010
569 Posts
aspeed,

Thank you!
Old Mar 06, 2013, 05:19 PM
LaGrange, GA
Joined Jun 2009
1,749 Posts
Pretty funky!
JohnsPop is offline Find More Posts by JohnsPop
Old Mar 06, 2013, 07:20 PM
Canada, ON, Cottam
Joined Jan 2012
1,137 Posts
You gotta love swap meets. Good motor and 4 servos for $20, and maybe 30 seconds of excitement. Maybe lots more?
Old Mar 09, 2013, 11:48 AM
United States, CT, Old Lyme
Joined Sep 2011
76 Posts
Thing looks like a tank. Coat the whole thing with a thin layer of epoxy and it will be indestructible!
paintmann111 is offline Find More Posts by paintmann111
Old Mar 10, 2013, 03:07 PM
Fresno CA
Joined Jul 2006
1,738 Posts
These things were popular in the 1980's and '90's . RCM had instructions in one of their magazines as did others.

Seems to me they were about 40 inches in diameter. With 2 strips of balsa for spars top and bottom, covered with Econokote and yes the edges were left square! They even warned against rounding them, saying they would not fly as well.

Many other shapes were made besides round. I remember seeing a flying " iron" ( household type ) where the handle was the vertical stab.

I never built one but they looked like fun!

Blue Skies....................Tim
RWCLOUD is offline Find More Posts by RWCLOUD
Old Mar 13, 2013, 07:37 AM
glider pilot in training
United States, AR, Searcy
Joined Aug 2006
637 Posts
Don't forget the ever popular flying stop sign.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RWCLOUD View Post
These things were popular in the 1980's and '90's . RCM had instructions in one of their magazines as did others.

Seems to me they were about 40 inches in diameter. With 2 strips of balsa for spars top and bottom, covered with Econokote and yes the edges were left square! They even warned against rounding them, saying they would not fly as well.

Many other shapes were made besides round. I remember seeing a flying " iron" ( household type ) where the handle was the vertical stab.

I never built one but they looked like fun!

Blue Skies....................Tim
webdragon is offline Find More Posts by webdragon
Old Mar 13, 2013, 09:07 AM
Canada, ON, Cottam
Joined Jan 2012
1,137 Posts
There was a Snoopy doghouse and just a Snoopy on a disc like this I think too. Just replace the rudder with your favourite figure. (who killed Kenny, Snoopy was kind of lame, and not even funny)