HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 18, 2013, 10:43 AM
Maine
Joined Nov 2007
208 Posts
Here's a picture of my Polaris in my rather cramped hobby room. There are 5 airplanes in the photo including my 20yr old Northstar in the background.
Tony
aircat10 is offline Find More Posts by aircat10
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 18, 2013, 06:43 PM
Northwest Ohio
Joined Jan 2002
2,626 Posts
Looks like your Ultra is ready to go Tony. Let us know how she flies compared to the Northstar!

Scott
Model Aero is offline Find More Posts by Model Aero
Site Sponsor
Old Feb 18, 2013, 10:28 PM
United States, CA, Petaluma
Joined Sep 2004
13,497 Posts
Finished building an Polaris Ultra today. Running a Castle Ice Lite 50 amp ESC. I hope to get a MAS 8x6 three blader but will run the two bladed prop for now. Things got a little busy in the motor nacelle but I took my time and got it all in there and working real good. I really like the size of the Ultra! It went together nicely. Here are a few photos of the assembly and the finished P Ultra!

BTW, it is probably just me but the front third of the Polaris Ultra reminds me of the Avro Vulcan.

Bajora is online now Find More Posts by Bajora
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 19, 2013, 12:24 AM
Park Jet Guru
Seattle, WA
Joined Jun 2002
5,567 Posts
Very nice build, Bajora!
jetset44 is offline Find More Posts by jetset44
Old Feb 19, 2013, 01:39 PM
Northwest Ohio
Joined Jan 2002
2,626 Posts
Great photos Bajora.

I Googled the Vulcan and there is a similarity, except the Vulcan has more of a bubble canopy. I like the looks of the flush canopy on the Ultra better.

Scott
Site Sponsor
Old Feb 20, 2013, 07:58 AM
59 years of RC flying
Canada, ON, Ottawa
Joined Feb 2006
15,738 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bajora View Post

BTW, it is probably just me but the front third of the Polaris Ultra reminds me of the Avro Vulcan.
I see the resemblance. I have a soft spot for the Vulcan, as during the 60s a Vulcan was a regular visitor at the Abbotsford Airshow, which I helped organize. For a fascinating documentary about the longest bombing mission and the Vulcan's last and only hostile operation, see this BBC program:
http://m.youtube.com/#/watch?v=40knj...%3D40knj0qg_Us

You'll enjoy Ultra.
Daedalus66 is online now Find More Posts by Daedalus66
Old Feb 20, 2013, 08:01 AM
59 years of RC flying
Canada, ON, Ottawa
Joined Feb 2006
15,738 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ggtronic View Post
i actually have this one on test for my new XL gopro built : 370w 35 amp with 3s... will fly like a rocket ...

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...ner_Motor.html
That motor worked very well on the Polaris XL.
Old Feb 20, 2013, 09:01 AM
Maine
Joined Nov 2007
208 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Model Aero View Post
Looks like your Ultra is ready to go Tony. Let us know how she flies compared to the Northstar!

Scott
I maidened the Polaris Ultra a few weeks ago (see pg 21). The wind was quite gusty and not very enjoyable to fly any plane that day. The P Ultra had the typical Northstar dutch roll wobble in the bumpy air. I slightly damaged the belly pan landing on frozen ground. All fixed with epoxy and West System's 404 high density filler - very tough to sand so it shouldn't ever wear away.
I'm looking forward to a better day to give the P Ultra more air time.
Tony
aircat10 is offline Find More Posts by aircat10
Old Feb 20, 2013, 10:57 AM
I hate waiting for parts
United States, NC, Garner
Joined Apr 2001
6,256 Posts
I've always been a sucker for the Polaris but never went through with buying one. I stumbled across this thread and I'm excited all over again for the Polaris! I've read through the thread but do have some questions:
  1. What's the main difference between this Polaris and the other ones I've seen? Is it just an imporvement over the other designs? It looks beautiful with the shaped fuselage.
  2. How about waterproofing? Is it detailed in the instructions as far as recommendations? I saw references to paper towels. I assume the challenge is to leave hatches removable but make them so water can't get in?
  3. How about battery cooling? No one mentioned battery temperature. I assume there are no cooling vents for the battery. I have an Icon A5 that has no cooling at all and the battery gets quite warm during flight. But not hot.

Thanks in advance for the replies!
Mike_Then is online now Find More Posts by Mike_Then
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: I gots me a Goblin!
Old Feb 20, 2013, 11:14 AM
Northwest Ohio
Joined Jan 2002
2,626 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike_Then View Post
I've always been a sucker for the Polaris but never went through with buying one. I stumbled across this thread and I'm excited all over again for the Polaris! I've read through the thread but do have some questions:
  1. What's the main difference between this Polaris and the other ones I've seen? Is it just an imporvement over the other designs? It looks beautiful with the shaped fuselage.
  2. How about waterproofing? Is it detailed in the instructions as far as recommendations? I saw references to paper towels. I assume the challenge is to leave hatches removable but make them so water can't get in?
  3. How about battery cooling? No one mentioned battery temperature. I assume there are no cooling vents for the battery. I have an Icon A5 that has no cooling at all and the battery gets quite warm during flight. But not hot.

Thanks in advance for the replies!
The biggest difference is that the Ultra is molded out of EPO foam where the other Polaris kits are laser cut from flat 6 mm Depron foam. Of course molding allows you to integrate shapes and contours that are impossible with flat foam. The build time of the Ultra is a fraction of the full kit version. Expect to spend 15 to 20 hours building the kit and 3 to 5 hours on the Ultra.

As for flying, the Ultra retains all the great qualities of the original kit, even though the wing loading is higher. It has a full airfoil and rolls and inverted flight are noticeably better with the Ultra.

There are 3 vents built into the Ultra, primarily for ESC cooling. I have found that during normal flying, water does not enter the plane. Just in case, I recommend wadding up a couple paper towels inside the top hatch where the servos, ESC, and RX are located. Some will go to much greater measures to waterproof the plane, such as using Corrosion X on all the electronics.

Battery temperature has not been an issue so far, but that is dependent on many factors such as ambient temperature, temperature of the battery before flight, amp draw, battery quality etc.

Scott
Site Sponsor
Old Feb 20, 2013, 11:42 AM
I hate waiting for parts
United States, NC, Garner
Joined Apr 2001
6,256 Posts
Quote:
The biggest difference is that the Ultra is molded out of EPO foam where the other Polaris kits are laser cut from flat 6 mm Depron foam. Of course molding allows you to integrate shapes and contours that are impossible with flat foam. The build time of the Ultra is a fraction of the full kit version. Expect to spend 15 to 20 hours building the kit and 3 to 5 hours on the Ultra.

As for flying, the Ultra retains all the great qualities of the original kit, even though the wing loading is higher. It has a full airfoil and rolls and inverted flight are noticeably better with the Ultra.

There are 3 vents built into the Ultra, primarily for ESC cooling. I have found that during normal flying, water does not enter the plane. Just in case, I recommend wadding up a couple paper towels inside the top hatch where the servos, ESC, and RX are located. Some will go to much greater measures to waterproof the plane, such as using Corrosion X on all the electronics.

Battery temperature has not been an issue so far, but that is dependent on many factors such as ambient temperature, temperature of the battery before flight, amp draw, battery quality etc.

Scott
Scott, that's awesome... thanks so much for the fast and detailed reply! Will definitely drooooooool over this baby some more! The advantage is that I already have receivers and batteries; the disadvantage is that if/when I buy this, I'll be up to 16 airplanes, 4 helis, and two quadcopters!
  • H9 P-51 Mustang "Marie"
  • HL F/A-18E Super Hornet
  • Kyosho T-33
  • MRC Freedom 3D (trying to sell this one)
  • Morris Hobbies Big Boy 80"
  • GP Ultimate Biplane 65"
  • RitewingTL-60
  • PZ T-28 w/ retracts (love this plane)
  • PZ Icon A5
  • Multiplex EasyStar (setup for FPV)
  • ExtremeFlight Outlaw
  • TechOne Popwing 35" x 2 (one for combat, one for night flying)
  • Multiplex FunJet Ultra
  • E-Flite Hyper Taxi
---------------------------
  • Align T-Rex 600e mounted in an AS-550 scale fuselage
  • Align T-Rex 500 mounted in a UH-60 Blackhawk fuselage
  • Align T-Rex 500 with custom canopy
  • RC Aerodyne Chaos 600 (on the way; will be flown pod 'n boom until desired scale fuselage is in stock)
  • DJI F450 with GPS, FPV, and GoPro2
  • E-Flite mQX
Oi! I have too much crap!! Did I mention they are all electric, all ready to fly?
Mike_Then is online now Find More Posts by Mike_Then
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: I gots me a Goblin!
Old Feb 20, 2013, 12:15 PM
Springfield, VA
Joined Feb 2000
1,078 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike_Then View Post
Scott, that's awesome... thanks so much for the fast and detailed reply! Will definitely drooooooool over this baby some more! The advantage is that I already have receivers and batteries; the disadvantage is that if/when I buy this, I'll be up to 16 airplanes, 4 helis, and two quadcopters!
  • H9 P-51 Mustang "Marie"
  • HL F/A-18E Super Hornet
  • Kyosho T-33
  • MRC Freedom 3D (trying to sell this one)
  • Morris Hobbies Big Boy 80"
  • GP Ultimate Biplane 65"
  • RitewingTL-60
  • PZ T-28 w/ retracts (love this plane)
  • PZ Icon A5
  • Multiplex EasyStar (setup for FPV)
  • ExtremeFlight Outlaw
  • TechOne Popwing 35" x 2 (one for combat, one for night flying)
  • Multiplex FunJet Ultra
  • E-Flite Hyper Taxi
  • Align T-Rex 600e mounted in an AS-550 scale fuselage
  • Align T-Rex 500 mounted in a UH-60 Blackhawk fuselage
  • Align T-Rex 500 with custom canopy
  • RC Aerodyne Chaos 600 (on the way; will be flown pod 'n boom until desired scale fuselage is in stock)
  • DJI F450 with GPS, FPV, and GoPro2
  • E-Flite mQX
Oi! I have too much crap!! Did I mention they are all electric, all ready to fly?
Too much? Give it a few more years and you'll wish this was all you had. I have a list that puts yours to shame (maybe my house is bigger). While I have only about 15 RTF aircraft, when I add up my list of in work, kits/ARFs, and other (those in an indefinite status), I have to add another 75 aircraft. Then add in the 4 co-axials, 4 single rotor, and 1 quad-copter and the aircraft are done. Now throw in a Traxxas, an E-Revo, a tug boat, a great PT boat, 2 mini-hydros, 2 standard hydros, 2 large gas hydros, an air hydro, King of Shaves cat, 2 large sailboats, a Dumas Chris Craft, and a hobby shop worth of spare parts, and then you will truly understand the meaning of the phrase "Hi, my name is Pete, and I'm an RC-holic"...lol.

Seriously, I REALLY do have too much crap--probably time to have another big sale. Pete M
pmisuinas is offline Find More Posts by pmisuinas
Old Feb 20, 2013, 04:40 PM
Northwest Ohio
Joined Jan 2002
2,626 Posts
Guys, it's just about time to reorder Polaris Ultra kits, and we're going to add a second color scheme in addition to the USCG scheme. If you have some ideas of what you'd like to see on the plane, now is the time. I have a couple things in mind but I'd like to see some other ideas.

The FA-18 in the photo is the Navy Centennial scheme that was done in 2011 to honor 100 years of Naval flight. This is a favorite of jetset44 and I like it too. I think a Polaris would be bad to the bone in these colors!

Scott
Site Sponsor
Old Feb 20, 2013, 04:44 PM
It's gone...
Germany, NRW, Heinsberg
Joined Aug 2004
5,065 Posts
A Tiger Meet scheme.

Or something like the Avro Vulcan that was mentioned before.
_OZ_ is offline Find More Posts by _OZ_
Last edited by _OZ_; Feb 20, 2013 at 05:04 PM.
Old Feb 20, 2013, 05:49 PM
59 years of RC flying
Canada, ON, Ottawa
Joined Feb 2006
15,738 Posts
Quote:

Scott
I agree, it's not much of an issue in most cases. For one thing, what people consider quite hot is really well below the danger level. That's not to say you can't overheat a battery. If you use an old battery, let it sit in the sun, and push it to the limits, you certainly can cook it.

But you can't really cool the battery very much in flight, as there is no effective way to transfer the heat quickly enough -- heat travels relatively slowly to the exterior. So air cooling doesn't do much. (It's quite different with the ESC, where heat can be dumped efficiently as it is generated, and the ESC has much less heat capacity than the battery, so heats up much faster.)

What you can do is:
1. Use a reasonably new battery with appropriate C-rating (I.e., low internal resistance).
2. Keep the battery cool before flight (don't leave in the sun!). [This is not an issue for many of us right now.]
3. Remove the battery after flight to let it cool down (especially in a model like Ultra, which has the battery surrounded by foam).
4. Don't fly wide open throttle all the time.