HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 15, 2012, 07:19 PM
KK4LIK
United States, GA, Ocilla
Joined May 2012
91 Posts
Thanks for the reassurance Vantasstic. The drop was very odd but for some reason I wasn't suprised when it happened. Live and learn I guess.

I just found out rear camo arms are out of stock. Thinking I might get a black frame but I need new motors too. I'm not sure I can swing both. but w/o a new arm where could I mount my new motors?!(I dont want the Chinese HTFPV) I'd rather have a broke HT FPV for a couple of weeks than a cheap copy of the original.

Does anyone other than Hoverthings distribute the HT FPV?
theSouthGA is offline Find More Posts by theSouthGA
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 15, 2012, 07:21 PM
Canada, NS, Halifax
Joined Feb 2010
6,622 Posts
I resell them in Canada.
flitelab is offline Find More Posts by flitelab
Site Sponsor
Old Sep 16, 2012, 02:35 AM
Fly Chitty Chitty Bang Bang!
Central California USA
Joined Feb 2011
377 Posts
My experimental

[QUOTE=theSouthGA;22742832]I knew it was going to happen eventually I just didn't expect a two-for-one deal.

For a long time I used Rusty's frame with 5/8" rods that could twist bend break and be ca glued along a crack if needed. The controller was a APM2 that was experimental with others. I called this my Timex Quad. It took the licking and kept on ticking. There are sometimes incidences that are out of ones control. One time after a auto waypoint run and land upon retaking off it shot off violently to the right. It was so fast that there was no time to respond. I looked back at family and wondered. The Naza controller is very safe in comparison. The experimental controller made me learn in many way
EarthOrbiter is offline Find More Posts by EarthOrbiter
Old Sep 16, 2012, 11:42 AM
KK4LIK
Joined May 2012
91 Posts
@ Flitelab- Thanks for the heads up. I ended up getting a whole camo kit from HT as I originally purchased from them and I noticed you don't have individual parts either. Info much appreciated though.

@ EO- Yeah it just reinforced my feelings about how innocous these aircraft appear until its out of your control. As fast and heavy as it was I was greatful no one was hurt. It reminded me of a time I "landed" a 450 heli at full throttle inverted. I was always super safe with my big(to me) heli though. My eyes are wide open now.
Old Sep 16, 2012, 03:14 PM
'FPV'er...not a "LOS'er
Las Vegas, NV
Joined Sep 2003
17,058 Posts
Nothing special, but the first time I've had some in-flight chase video of my HT-FPV frame. It's a different perspective that was fun to do.

'FPV'er vs 'LOS'er (1 min 48 sec)
Vantasstic is offline Find More Posts by Vantasstic
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 16, 2012, 03:42 PM
Don't drink and fly
Joined May 2012
646 Posts
Your goggles are creepy. If I was 6 and saw that I'd probably soil my underpants.
Exploding Fist is offline Find More Posts by Exploding Fist
Old Sep 16, 2012, 04:03 PM
'FPV'er...not a "LOS'er
Las Vegas, NV
Joined Sep 2003
17,058 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Exploding Fist View Post
Your goggles are creepy. If I was 6 and saw that I'd probably soil my underpants.
That's the idea....keeps the little buggers away!!!!
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 16, 2012, 04:24 PM
KK4LIK
Joined May 2012
91 Posts
My first flight in the goggles

About two weeks ago I did my first real FPV flight from "inside the goggles". It looks kind of boring but it was a far as I was willing to push myself at the time.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b5dkq1FVuyM&feature=plcp
Old Sep 16, 2012, 04:31 PM
My RC builds in my profile.
United States, CA, Los Angeles
Joined Feb 2011
2,528 Posts
damnit. forgot to glue my motor mount on my replacement arm and crashed from 50' or so. Luckily only frame damage :/
daign is offline Find More Posts by daign
Old Sep 16, 2012, 06:23 PM
KK4LIK
Joined May 2012
91 Posts
I think if I would have glued my motor mounts on my frame I would have broken two arms, not just one as the mount dislodged on the other.

Is there something I'm missing?
Old Sep 20, 2012, 12:55 AM
FPV it is!
Canada, SK
Joined Aug 2012
1,082 Posts
Crius AIO Pro 1.0 flashed with Megapirate NG 2.7 R4
Skywalker Quattro 20Ax4
FrSky D8R-II+
FrSky Telemetry Hub
FrSky FLVS Lipo Voltage Sensor
4x 2212 motors (no idea what brand, they came with the ARF kit I bought)

All motors are spinning the correct direction, and my 3 position switch and my throttle hold switch are programmed for six flight modes (although I have them all set to the default stabilize mode). I just need to balance and install the props, install the GPS module, tidy up some wiring and start test flights!

Stock Turnigy 9x Radio with FrSky DJT Telemetry module & FrSky FLD-02 Telemetry Screen.

The telemetry screen shows the telemetry hub's temperature, RSSI strength and voltage of cells on the quad from the FLVS module.

Titus Gordon is offline Find More Posts by Titus Gordon
Old Sep 20, 2012, 08:55 AM
FPV it is!
Canada, SK
Joined Aug 2012
1,082 Posts
What's this about glueing the motor mounts? Is that a recommended practice?
Titus Gordon is offline Find More Posts by Titus Gordon
Old Sep 20, 2012, 09:16 AM
Canada, NS, Halifax
Joined Feb 2010
6,622 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Titus Gordon View Post
I typically don't if you have a nice tight fit already. I usually don't loctite frame screws either just the motors, makes it easier to get apart.
flitelab is offline Find More Posts by flitelab
Site Sponsor
Old Sep 20, 2012, 04:56 PM
'FPV'er...not a "LOS'er
Las Vegas, NV
Joined Sep 2003
17,058 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Titus Gordon View Post
I had a couple of motor mount plates that had a little wiggle in them. I just used some hot glue to 'glue' them in place and 'fill' any small gaps. I did this with my HT-450 frame and it worked well and it still allows the plates to pop out on inverted landings (don't ask). I have broken a couple of motor plates, but never an arm.
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 22, 2012, 12:23 PM
Gary
United States, MD, Salisbury
Joined Mar 2011
1,723 Posts
After one year and was has got to be over 150 flight I broke a piece off my Hoverthings 550 frame for the FIRST time. lol It is not that I haven't crashed it either. Crashed many times. I have RCtimer 3536/11 motors, and RCtimer 40amp esc.
First I had a Quadrino on it, not too stable. I could never quite figure it out, PID experimented till I got sick of it. Next I mounted a GU-340, still had some odd behavior but was better. If it got "weird" I'd unplug and re-plug and that fixed it.
Then a Naza with GPS, which worked great, as long as I plugged in the FC after powering the ESC for 3-4 seconds prior. It was still a bit twitchy intermittently.... then I noticed number 3 motor was slow to start, and was hotter than the rest . I reset the end-point throttle for the ESC, and it seemed fine. But in the field I noticed 3 was still slow to start. I'm thinking bearings so I replaced them with Boca bearings.
Yesterday = Crash from altitude of about 40ft. No throttle response, just started sinking fast. Went through a tree which saved it, and landed in grass. Broke a landing gear, and a prop.
So i put in a new motor, still not right, no better at all. Then replaced the ESC and that did it. Now flies great, actually better than ever.
I think perhaps my ESC has had problems all along, for the last year, but I couldn't figure it out till it failed totally. Looking back I should have unplugged the motors one at a time, and see if I could duplicate, but it would only do it once every 6-8 batteries, which made it tough to diagnose.
So intermittent very twitchy, and if I unplugged and replugged it went away = ESC
FYI: These Hoverthings frames are nearly indestructible. Thanks Tom!!!
glmccready is offline Find More Posts by glmccready