HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 27, 2012, 11:04 PM
1/2as actually fit in my car
United States, PA, West Grove
Joined Aug 2011
69 Posts
Discussion
Herr cub

I'm building a nice Herr engineering cub. i will be modding it a little and was wondering if anyone on here has done the same. i build one before that was finished by my father. but he mounted the motor wrong causing it to spin right into the ground first flight. this new one will be sporting an O.S. la .10 instead of the recommended .049-.061 and ailerons. this will be my first time altering a kit and i was wondering if anyone has put ailerons on an 3 ch and how you did it. i already have mine idea sketched out but would like to see some pics of how you guys have done it.
bushcub is offline Find More Posts by bushcub
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 28, 2012, 09:09 AM
Western KY
Joined Sep 2003
1,563 Posts
A .10 is a lot of engine for that plane. While many planes you read about in this forum have a lot of power and, in some cases, are literally guided engines, the Cub is designed to "fly on the wing". Herr's big cub has about 330 sq. in. of area, so it can carry some more weight and still be a good floater.

For ailerons, you have to decide on strip or barndoor. Without seeing the wing construction, you've got a couple of options here. Simply hinge a piece of 1/8" stock directly to the TE of the wing or use the actual TE as a strip. The latter will require a sub-spar for additional support.

Barndoor ailerons will require more alteration and the aileron likely will have to be built up, again adding a subspar for it to be hinged against. A lot of folks favor strip ailerons because they are easy, quick and the linkages are simple. However, with the availability of good, lightweight servos that may be mounted in each wing, the linkage problems that used to exist with barndoor ailerons have disappared.

Lastly, you'll need to reduce the dihedral. R/E models are designed with more dihedral than the A/E/R planes to help them turn. I don't know what the plans call for on the bigger Herr cub, but 1.5 to 2" per tip should get you in the ballpark.

A lot of folks on here have good design experience and may want to jump in the better suggestions.
Andrew0820 is offline Find More Posts by Andrew0820
Old Jan 28, 2012, 09:52 AM
Lipoly Killer
Gulfport/Biloxi Biloxi Reg, Mississippi, United States
Joined Dec 2000
1,481 Posts
Herr Cub

This is a great little airplane. I chose to model mine like Hazel Sig's Clipped Wing Cub. I removed one bay off each wing half; added strip ailerons and reduced the dihedral to 1" total. I covered it in light blue Econocote and painted the cowl blue to match. I used a sweet TT 07 to power it,
DO NOT paint the cowl with LustreCoat or you will have a gooey mess! Trust me, I know! The airplane flew beautifully but underpowered with the TT. A .10 would be ok but make sure to use fibreglass on the center section and I would use shear webs between the spars. Don't go overboard on the fiberglass and glue. The perfect choice would be a Norvell .074.
Good luck
Frank Hurd is offline Find More Posts by Frank Hurd
Old Jan 28, 2012, 12:10 PM
Old Submariner
Milton, WI USA
Joined Dec 2007
569 Posts
Herr Piper J3 Build Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by bushcub View Post
I'm building a nice Herr engineering cub. i will be modding it a little and was wondering if anyone on here has done the same. i build one before that was finished by my father. but he mounted the motor wrong causing it to spin right into the ground first flight. this new one will be sporting an O.S. la .10 instead of the recommended .049-.061 and ailerons. this will be my first time altering a kit and i was wondering if anyone has put ailerons on an 3 ch and how you did it. i already have mine idea sketched out but would like to see some pics of how you guys have done it.
Hi bushcub:

I did a build thread "teeceeveecee (Herr Piper J3 Build)" with aileron changes may prove useful to you.

Tom
teeceeveecee is offline Find More Posts by teeceeveecee
Old Jan 28, 2012, 07:27 PM
Joined Aug 2011
69 Posts
what i was planning is not adding the normal cub wing tips. taking the dihedral out and about a little more then half way through the wing there in a doubled up rib i was gonna start the aileron there and run it to the tip. my local hobby shop has pre made ailerons i was going to look into using. at some point ill take a picture of my modified plan and put up here.
Old Jan 28, 2012, 08:23 PM
Rocky Mountain High and Higher
Joined Jan 2002
876 Posts
Here is a pic of my Herr Cloud Ranger wing with ailerons. They are 1/8 x 1 inch. At half way of the length the aileron is tapered to 1/2 inch wide at the tip.
PROACE is offline Find More Posts by PROACE
Old Jan 28, 2012, 08:32 PM
Joined Jan 2002
876 Posts
Forgot to add that I build the Herr Piper years ago and I believe this is the same airfoil. It is true these models are designed to fly on the wing and using an OS .10 may force you to decide between a decent flying model or fighting the the plane in flight in order to feel and enjoy the engine performance. BTW I flew my old Herr Piper with with a Cox .049 and later a TT .07, both worked great in the Piper. The Cloud Ranger I have now I am running a PAW .06 diesel and it too is a joy to fly.
Old Jan 28, 2012, 10:48 PM
Joined Aug 2011
69 Posts
well i have an .049 but its all locked up. and im torn between two motors. my la .10 i had on a converted goldberg tiger 400. and an old os pet .099 the pet was on my last herr cub which seemed like it would have flown very nice but like i said motor was mounted wrong (my dad built the motor mount and didnt put in any correction)
Old Jan 28, 2012, 11:20 PM
Joined Jan 2002
876 Posts
bushcub, I dont know your experience level and I dont want to insult your flying skills or put down anything you want to try. Expermenting and going out on a limb makes this hobby what it is, heck you may find that with a little trimming that an OS .10 might work out great and be the ultimate combo. The Herr Cub is an excellent model and the OS .10 an excellent engine and really not much bigger than a TT .07, so does excellent+excellent=excellent? The upside is that the OS .10 being a little heavier motor for the wing area and also a bit more powerful would allow use of standard servos which in turn the extra weight would give you better wind penetration for windy day flying but the downside would be a much faster flying model. I personally prefer heavier built model.
Give it a try and let us know.
Old Jan 29, 2012, 12:48 AM
Joined Aug 2011
69 Posts
i plan on building it plenty heavy. i myself prefer a heavyer plane. i do know how ever that my goldberg tiger 400 is lighter then this cub and was a wonderful plane with an la .10 i am thinking about a tt .07 though. i might keep this one light to fly with skis so i can fly year round
Old Feb 08, 2012, 12:37 AM
Joined Aug 2011
69 Posts
ive decided to go with a strip aileron. by the time im done this wont even look like a cub. ive built the wing took the dihedral out and converted it to a rubber band on wing. once i clearance the fuel tank ill be doing some trimming to make up to the cowl flat then ill be removing the top half of the cowl to match and clear the motor. this will be more to be just a good flying plane and less of a scale cub. ill be using aluminum gear too to add a little weight over the wire gear to help calm down the .099 ill put some pics up when i get the chance.
Old Feb 08, 2012, 09:40 AM
Joined Jan 2002
876 Posts
Looking forward to see the pics.
Old Feb 24, 2012, 12:53 PM
Joined Dec 2009
204 Posts
hey proace, can you post a couple pics of the wing showing how you set up the ailerons from a positioning and linkage perspective? i have one of these planes, bought it at a swap meet and its half built and covered. how do you take out the dihedral?
aarongreen123 is offline Find More Posts by aarongreen123
Old Feb 24, 2012, 03:47 PM
Joined Aug 2011
69 Posts
when i built my wing i built it with no dihedral whats so ever. all i did was replace the dihedral braces with some straight pieces of light ply of the same thickness as the original braces
Old Feb 24, 2012, 05:20 PM
Joined Jan 2002
876 Posts
Mine still has some dihedral. Dihedral determination is made at the center section ribs W1. If the wing is already built and covered you will have to strip the covering to install ailerons. If the wing halves are already epoxied together then you have a project for dihedral removal. I can post a pic this evening. Warning, not too exciting