HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Apr 06, 2012, 03:56 PM
oxford uk
Joined Aug 2010
1,029 Posts
Cheers chaps! Actually I 'developed' the same method as Bernhard suggested all by myself.. well that and the cyno kicker in the end due to impatiance lol. I have another 150ish little holes to fill on the fuse top now (have done the canopy and under fuse) so will use your gorilla and water tip CJ, cheers. I'm just filling the holes where I drilled the tops of the cocktail sticks off (cos they is sharp!)... will be covering fuse eventually with tape so just want a smoothish finish to start with.

Told you this was a labour intensive project lol. would take less time to build an all balsa lancaster

Will have to bring this bird up to your field when its done! Thanks again

Paul
yogz is offline Find More Posts by yogz
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 06, 2012, 04:34 PM
um.. yeah, I can make that fly
United Kingdom, Milton Keynes
Joined Jun 2007
3,538 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by yogz View Post

Told you this was a labour intensive project lol. would take less time to build an all balsa lancaster

Paul
I wouldn't count on it, mines almost 7 months in the making and I'm nowhere near done :P

CJ
Carlos230023 is offline Find More Posts by Carlos230023
Old Apr 06, 2012, 05:18 PM
Never fly an A model anything!
Antarctica
Joined Apr 2008
4,810 Posts
Micro balloons and ca work very well too. Especially on EPO foam.
jayb1rdz is offline Find More Posts by jayb1rdz
Old Apr 06, 2012, 07:56 PM
oxford uk
Joined Aug 2010
1,029 Posts
Jayb... always good to learn and try new things... so please do explain! Like what the heck are micro balloons..

CJ - I was just joshing, having built a couple of KielKraft freeflight models in my youth and knowing the size of your Lanc... FPV is building up my patiance levels but I could never commit to that sort of build. I bow to you

Paul
Old Apr 06, 2012, 09:32 PM
Registered Crasher
Melbourne, Australia
Joined Jul 2008
1,031 Posts
2012 Outback UAV Challenge

Hi Guys,

Nothing like the last minute.......
Has anyone in Australia got a spare X8?

I am from Melbourne UAV (A team entered into the 2012 Outback UAV Challenge)
We crashed our airframe about 4 weeks ago and have been unable to get replacement parts delivered on time.
We have been involved in the comp for the last 4 years and will be gutted if we have to quit now.

Please PM me if you can help!
We will buy it or replace it for you once they are available again.
We have 2 weeks left before we have to submit video evidence of airframe we are using in the competetion. (Deliverable 2)

Thanks in advance. Cheers!

Scott
Bilox is online now Find More Posts by Bilox
Old Apr 06, 2012, 09:34 PM
Never fly an A model anything!
Antarctica
Joined Apr 2008
4,810 Posts
Quote:
Jayb... always good to learn and try new things... so please do explain! Like what the heck are micro balloons..

CJ - I was just joshing, having built a couple of KielKraft freeflight models in my youth and knowing the size of your Lanc... FPV is building up my patiance levels but I could never commit to that sort of build. I bow to you

Paul
Here's a link for you. It's a light weight powder that you mix with glues to use as a filler. It works a treat with CA and then sands well to get your shape right.

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...P?I=LXHZ15&P=8
jayb1rdz is offline Find More Posts by jayb1rdz
Old Apr 06, 2012, 10:36 PM
DS state of origin NSW Vs QLD
Joined Jul 2009
1,365 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bilox View Post
Hi Guys,

We crashed our airframe about 4 weeks ago and have been unable to get replacement parts delivered on time.
We have been involved in the comp for the last 4 years and will be gutted if we have to quit now.

We have 2 weeks left before we have to submit video evidence of airframe we are using in the competetion. (Deliverable 2)

Scott
I have my second one on order, Will be one of the first to show up out of the next batch, Dunno if it will be here in time mate.

Pete
Forrest12 is offline Find More Posts by Forrest12
Old Apr 06, 2012, 11:05 PM
australia
Joined Apr 2009
470 Posts
Quote:
Hi Guys,

Scott
pm sent
jamied is offline Find More Posts by jamied
Old Apr 07, 2012, 04:36 AM
um.. yeah, I can make that fly
United Kingdom, Milton Keynes
Joined Jun 2007
3,538 Posts
Quote:

Paul
Micro balloons are small lightweight beads (it's actually a very fine powder) that traditionally is mixed in with resin for glass fiber work to be used as a lightweight filler that is really strong and easy to manipulate. Any resin/glass fiber supplier will sell them pretty cheap for the quantitys that a hobbiest would use. I'd send you a pack of 300g if I hadnt used my last lot last weekend. It's good stuff.

Lol, I'd save the bow till I get her in the air, and more importantly, back on the ground in one peice :P. 19 servos, fully functioning disk brakes on the wheels, 4 14X7 3bladed props, bendini sound system, 0.9Kg allocated for paint and fake rivets, she'll be a big bird alright.

CJ
Carlos230023 is offline Find More Posts by Carlos230023
Old Apr 07, 2012, 02:59 PM
oxford uk
Joined Aug 2010
1,029 Posts
Many thanks for the links and info chaps! Surprized I hadn't come across the stuff before... I used to retail fibreglass panels for drag racing VW's in the 90's and spent a lot of time 'hi' at the laminators lol

work progresses...

Paul
Old Apr 07, 2012, 03:20 PM
Joined Jun 2009
271 Posts
Quote:
Hi Guys,

Scott
Hi Scott

2 x X8 EPO wings will be ready for shipping monday morning (Express) You should have the package within 3-4 days.

We have just got our stock on the X8 EPO wing

Regards
Hooks is offline Find More Posts by Hooks
Old Apr 07, 2012, 03:34 PM
Joined Apr 2012
32 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hooks View Post
Hi Scott

2 x X8 EPO wings will be ready for shipping monday morning (Express) You should have the package within 3-4 days.

We have just got our stock on the X8 EPO wing

Regards
I just ordered one of them =).
UADan is offline Find More Posts by UADan
Old Apr 07, 2012, 03:34 PM
United States, CO
Joined Sep 2011
67 Posts
The Good
Just received an email from fpvflying.com notifying me that the X8 is in stock and ready for sale!

The Bad
It's the white X8, not the black. Okay, maybe not such a bad thing, but wait for the ugly...

The Ugly
Price of the X8 jumped from $129 to $199. Shipping to the US is $49. Oh, and unlike other vendors, there's no free shipping for orders over $200. In fact, I added a $5 item to my cart to bring the order to $204, but would have been charged an additional $20 to ship the $5 item.

Sure, sure... supply and demand. Regardless, it seems exorbitant to me. Count me out this round.
wmartin is offline Find More Posts by wmartin
Old Apr 07, 2012, 03:46 PM
Joined Jun 2009
271 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by wmartin View Post
The Good
Just received an email from fpvflying.com notifying me that the X8 is in stock and ready for sale!

The Bad
It's the white X8, not the black. Okay, maybe not such a bad thing, but wait for the ugly...

The Ugly
Price of the X8 jumped from $129 to $199. Shipping to the US is $49. Oh, and unlike other vendors, there's no free shipping for orders over $200. In fact, I added a $5 item to my cart to bring the order to $204, but would have been charged an additional $20 to ship the $5 item.

Sure, sure... supply and demand. Regardless, it seems exorbitant to me. Count me out this round.
You can still get one for 129 USD in EPS foam..

The black version: We have to wait a little longer.

Shipping price: Always a bad issue, but nothing I can do about it. (sorry mate)
Hooks is offline Find More Posts by Hooks
Old Apr 07, 2012, 03:57 PM
What goes up, must come down
United States, MI, Midland
Joined Sep 2009
698 Posts
Is EPO really worth an extra $70?
crazy1pilot is offline Find More Posts by crazy1pilot