HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jul 11, 2012, 06:01 PM
Joined Aug 2003
141 Posts
This is crazy...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aeronut41 View Post
Ever since the book appeared on amazon.com, it is everywhere, even though it hasn't been released. In fact, there's an ebay listing already:
http://product.half.ebay.com/Build-a...600768&tg=info
x-surfer is offline Find More Posts by x-surfer
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 11, 2012, 06:47 PM
Joined Aug 2003
141 Posts
Butterfly Walkalong Glider Plans

Quote:
Originally Posted by zoomer088 View Post
That is cool! I like the butterfly idea.. But would not want to use a real one like I have seen on instructables. Keep the ideas going!!
Here is a person who makes the butterflies from scratch (instead of playing undertaker and making flying zombies with a real carcass):
The actual size walkalong butterfly glider- Teaching vedio (1 min 57 sec)

make sure you have enough sweep back in the wings so you have yaw stability.
Old Jul 12, 2012, 10:27 PM
Joined Feb 2011
59 Posts
That was impressive! Especially with him weaving in, out and around all those boxes/desks. lol
zoomer088 is offline Find More Posts by zoomer088
Old Jul 15, 2012, 02:04 AM
TheyreComingToTakeMeAway!
USA, ID, Coeur D'Alene
Joined Dec 2003
5,406 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by x-surfer View Post
make sure you have enough sweep back in the wings so you have yaw stability.
i have found that with a far enough forward cg and reflex to counter the forward weight, the drag in the rear will help in yaw stability even if you dont have rearward sweep.

this way you can get straight or slightly forward swept wings without any vertical surfaces. its something i found when flying small bird gliders, and while the overall efficiency might be lower than other means, the look of it is more realistic.
derk is offline Find More Posts by derk
Old Jul 18, 2012, 07:15 PM
Joined Aug 2003
141 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by derk View Post
i have found that with a far enough forward cg and reflex to counter the forward weight, the drag in the rear will help in yaw stability even if you dont have rearward sweep.

this way you can get straight or slightly forward swept wings without any vertical surfaces. its something i found when flying small bird gliders, and while the overall efficiency might be lower than other means, the look of it is more realistic.
That's probably the way real flying animals do it so all the more power to you!
Old Jul 18, 2012, 10:35 PM
Joined Feb 2011
59 Posts
I still can't get over "flying zombies!" Too funny!
Old Jul 19, 2012, 03:49 PM
free bird
South Africa, GP, Johannesburg
Joined Aug 2011
169 Posts
Ya, I figured a freeze dried House Martin bird would be too heavy, so I decided to build a lighter full scale one! it's not actually a walkalong glider, rather something that got my head scratching about the shape of it's body in flight, but I won't get into any details here, I will however attempt a walkalong flight after I am satisfied with what I intend to do, and will keep Y'all posted.
Mike
Mickey D is offline Find More Posts by Mickey D
Old Jul 19, 2012, 04:41 PM
Joined Feb 2011
59 Posts
Wow!!! I'm Very excited to see how this goes..I love it so far.
Old Jul 22, 2012, 05:14 PM
Spittwadd
United States, SC, Fort Mill
Joined Jul 2011
10 Posts
Ive spent many years of my childhood building and perfecting many different designs of walkalong gliders~ there a lot of fun to build and fly!

following this thread closelyyy
spittwadd is offline Find More Posts by spittwadd
Old Jul 22, 2012, 07:42 PM
free bird
Joined Aug 2011
169 Posts
Thanks zoomer, I have been rather busy lately but when I do get back to the bird it will be a quick job. I have dabbled around with a few bird wing designs without a body and they worked well, although I eventually got a bit bored. Hopefully this project will spark new interest for me in this field. I was thinking about a light weight flapping walkalong glider with high frequency wing beats that produce small amounts of lift, slight forward thrust and lots of drag much like seagulls produce ground effect over the ocean except with less drag than what I need to keep up, sounds a bit easier said than done I know
Old Jul 22, 2012, 07:46 PM
free bird
Joined Aug 2011
169 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by spittwadd View Post
Ive spent many years of my childhood building and perfecting many different designs of walkalong gliders~ there a lot of fun to build and fly!
I'm still spending my childhood when it comes to flying contraptions of various kinds, and when I do something else I go back to being a grumpy man
Old Jul 28, 2012, 02:20 AM
Joined Feb 2011
59 Posts
Decided to try to make my walkalong glider electric! Hopefully it works. Sorry it took so long to get a pic of it up. Hope you all like it.
Old Jul 31, 2012, 08:23 PM
TheyreComingToTakeMeAway!
USA, ID, Coeur D'Alene
Joined Dec 2003
5,406 Posts
thats neat but, how is it glider if its powered?
will it just be under powered enough that the board keeps it airborne?
derk is offline Find More Posts by derk
Old Aug 01, 2012, 05:28 PM
Joined Feb 2011
59 Posts
lol Very true. If it will fly under its own power than that's great! I would like for it to be able to get it to fly in circles unguided. If not than I will try walkalong flight under power and see how that goes. If all else fails then back to glider! The button cell battery I want to use seems a little too heavy. But i wont know till i get it wired up and try. I'll try to get some pics up of my other gliders up soon.